Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:54 PM   #1

After 3 years of perfect function, my D-550 suddenly stuck in "no flash" mode. I believe it is not a hardware issue as the button works for all other functions. With the camera open, when I press the flash button once, it shows the "no flash" icon - further presses have no effect. In menu mode, this button works fine. I turned on the "reset settings" , I took the batteries out and let the camera sit for several hours, I remove and replaced the media card - none of this worked.Any thoughts as to if this is a software or motherboard issue, and what I might do to fix it? Is there a "hard reset" equivalent for an Olympus digicam?Thanks!
jkmeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:26 PM   #2

I think it likely that the popup flash's mode switch is stuck.

On a normally-operating D-550, if you manually hold down the popup flash, and then use the flash menu button, only "no flash" will be shown as an option. This duplicates your symptom, so I'd look at the switch that senses whether the popup flash is in the up or down position.
al_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion - I am not certain what mechanism the D-550 uses to sense if the flash is up or down - I cleaned and probed every exposed surface when the flash was up, but did not identify a specific switch mechanism and was without success.
jkmeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:34 PM   #4

Yeah, I just shined a flashlight under the popup and didn't see anything obvious either. Looks like surgery time.
al_savage is offline   Reply With Quote