Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:00 PM   #1

I find this very strange:

In program mode with auto selected for ISO and auto selected for white balance and flash off the following weirdness happens:

On the wide end of the zoom the apeture is 2.8. The camera selects 1/30 of a second in this particular room's lighting.

On the tele end of the zoom in the same room the apeture is 4.9. The camera selects 1/100 of a second shutter in this room?????

My experience has been the direct oppisate. Usually on all the digicams I've had the wide was fast shutter and the shutter got slower on the tele end.

Should I be concerned? Is this just an olympus thing?

episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:06 PM   #2

Well, I was bored, so I called Olympus. The girl that answered did not really understand, but she wrote down what I said and presumably took it to a more advanced tech who told her my concerns were unwarranted.

I still don't understand how this can be so.

In this particular room, the camera on ISO64 meters the shot in program mode so that on the wide end of the zoom with a 2.8 apeture as a 1/30 of a second shot.

When I zoom in on a subject in the same room with the same ISO with a 4.9 apeture the camera meters the shot at 1/100 of a second.

What I know about cameras is as the apeture gets larger, the numbers get smaller. So 2.8 is my largest apeture. Letting in alot of light, the 2.8 apeture should allow for a much higher shutter time than my 4.9 apeture.

Is this some quirk? Oddly enough, outside the camera seems to get it right. Outside I pointed the camera at a tree with the wide end - it metered at like 1/500 of a sec. I zoomed in on the tree at a 4.9 apeture and then the tree metered at like 1/200 of a sec - exactly as I expected.

Can some wise photog tell me what is going on?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:12 AM   #3

100 plus views and not one thought?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Administrator

I am pretty sure that because you have zoomed to telephoto that the camera has selected a faster shutter speed to help defeat camera shake, it probably also selects a higher ISO speed to accomodate the faster shutter speed in combination with a smaller aperture value. That's my guess :idea:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:49 PM   #5

My guess is that it just has to do with the flash output. If you still get a good image, then you have nothing to worry about.

Steve could be correct as well.

- Nevermind, you stated no flash!
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote