Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 14, 2003, 9:42 AM   #1

Default So, how do you like the c5050?

Buying my first 5MP digital camera, and don't want to make the wrong choice.

Out of about 6 possible camera choices that I started out with, I now have it narrowed down to the Olympus c5050 and the Nikon Coolpix 5000.

I like the Nikon brand, but the Coolpix5000 is an older model than the Olympus C5050, and my understanding is that the Coolpix 5000 is being phased out.

Basically, which camera will take better, clearer, more colorful pics?

Never owned an olympus camera. How does the lens quality compare between the two?

Can anyone recommend a vendor that sells the Olympus c5050 at a good price?

Seeking advice or comments from anyone who has owned either one of these cameras.

Thanks!
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2003, 9:51 PM   #2
lg

My experience is that a C-2100 Olympus camera has a better quality lens on it than a Nikon CoolPix 995. Even though the Nikon is 3MP and the Olympus is 2MP, the pics with the Olympus are sharper and clearer that those taken with the Nikon. While there are many other factors contributing to picture quality, I am of the opinion that generally the camera with the better lens will take better pictures. For that reason, I'd recommend the 5050. I'm sorry, but I can't offer any advice on where to find one.

If you are looking for a camera that adds more color to the picture than is actually there, you may be disappointed in the default saturation of the Olympus. The pictures are properly exposed and the color is very accurate. If I am not mistaken, I think both of these cameras have a control for saturation if you'd like to bump up the color a bit.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 9:14 AM   #3

Hey Mariner,

I have the C-5050Z and I have been a long time NIKON fan. My best friend has the coolpix 5000 and I thought about that model too. Personally, I am glad that I bought the c5050z. After playing with both models at the MCI center taking pixs of ice hockey games I believe that the olympus is a slightly better camera.

The lens quality is good and I have found that the pictures are very crisp. But, either camera will give you great results IF you know how to use the camera. It takes a lot of practice but you should be able to reproduce the same results overall. The lens on the c-5050z is longer so you can shoot distance things better than the c5000. Best of all is the three card format. XD - very fast card, sd - I do not use & cf - regular or microdrive. You can have the xd card and a CF card in at the same time and switch between the two.

The xd card will allow for smooth panorama pictures vs the fugi xd card and is fast to reload. The cf cards are great if you get a quick reading version. Otherwise you just wait a second for it to reload. I like using the bigger cards like 512 etc. It gives you a better way to blow more pictures at every setting so you can see the different quality and still shoot a ton of pictures without having to go a delete some to take more pictures.

If you have the extra money you might want to spring for the 5700 which I thought was great. JUst outof my price range at the time of purchase. Then you just have to deal with its size. A little bit bulkier.

Off hand I do not remember where I bought my camera. I know that it was a website that was suggested in this forum. You have to excuse me; I have a new baby and my mind is shot! :shock: When I remember I will let you know.

Good luck in you purchase. Also, there is an article link in one of these forums that warns about buying from the internet. READ IT! Again, I bought my online, but It was a recomended site from people in this forum. 8)
Mr.snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 5:18 PM   #4

Best plus for the 5050 nobody thinks about: the 3 card slot allows you to COPY form one to another. Not only within your own cards, but from someone else's card to one of yours. Done it, loved it.
tabbasco
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 10:35 AM   #5

BHphoto.com dropped another $70 on the C5050 Z, the effective current price is $599, and I think this is one of the best buy.

I sold Nikon coolpix 5000 2 months ago after I enjoyed using it for the last year. The coolpix 5000 is a great camera; its wide-angle lens at 28mm is one of advantage of this camera, producing very sharp images, the telephoto position cover up to 85mm. However the maximum opening of the lens at telephoto is F/4.8, and therefore it's not very convenience and feasible to take picture in low light. The Olympus C5050Z offered the 35-105mm zoom lens with F/1.8, great for portrait picture and shooting in low light, I took some pictures of a major metro skylight, completely in the dark and in the rain, handheld (I used the balcony handrail of the hotel) with aperture at F/1.8, and the results are outstanding, no noise, picture are sharp. I've also use this camera with large studio flash system (3 monolights, via the Nikon As-15) and it also produced professional results. You can't go wrong with this camera, it will do anything you want to do, almost like a SLR (except you can change the lens). The power source supplied by 4 Nimh batteries (provided with charger), this is great because you can get AA batteries anywhere, use the ones that rated at least 1850mah or larger, one hour charger for the battery is available everywhere
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 9:59 PM   #6

I would opt for the 5050, which is what I did a few weeks ago.
Not sure about what kind of memory the 5000 takes. So can't comment there. I do like the fact that the 5050 gives me 3 choices of memory type.
I'm very impressed by the battery usage of the 5050. Took a trip to mt Rainier on Friday and took 200 pics all with the LCD on and no flash using a microdrive. Then on the same charge I took another 40 flash pics the next day at a family party, all on the microdrive again, before this charge finally died.
I like the fact that it takes regular AA's. I can easliy have 2-3 sets of batteries charged up without it costing me an arm and a leg.
bswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2003, 10:43 AM   #7
SSD

Check out the Nikon 5000's replacement, the Nikon 5400. Steve has a First Look on this camera at

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon5400.html
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD
Check out the Nikon 5000's replacement, the Nikon 5400. Steve has a First Look on this camera at

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon5400.html
Not much of improvements on the new 5400, longer zoome lens, ED rated glass, maximum aperture at 115mm is F/4.8 (very slow).

The LCD screen now is down grade to 1.5", still no TTL flash, still has the flash sensor on the hand-grip.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote