Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 16, 2003, 7:44 PM   #1
JDA

Default My New 5050 LCD Dims & Flickers

I have noticed dimming and flickering when using the LCD on my new 5050 that I purchased about a week ago. This happens when the shutter is partially depressed or when zooming, followed by a quick return to full brightness (while still keeping the shutter depressed/ releasing zoom).

Is this normal or should I return it for another one?

Thanks!
JDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2003, 11:06 PM   #2

What batteries are you using?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 12:05 AM   #3
JDA

I'm using the original Olympus batteries 1700 mah that came with the camera. The batteries are supposedly fully charged using the slow 9 hour charger that also came with the camera.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, it is normal. When you half-press the shutter the camera calculates the exposure and closes down the aperture accordingly. When you're not pressing the shutter the camera uses the largest aperture possible to make viewing easier. The aperture gets smaller as you zoom out to telephoto. This is why the lens is specified as F1.8 - F2.6, as you go from wide to tele the lens actually darkens a bit.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 3:28 AM   #5

I think Steve has nailed it (as usual)...I only saw the part about the zoom and was thinking the batteries didn't have enough current to drive the LCD while the motor was operating, but that part about dimming while pressing the shutter is absolutely normal...when looking at the LCD (or EVF on other Olys) you are getting a TTL (Through The Lens) representation of what is being seen by the camera...when you half press the shutter button the lens closes down to the F-stop that was set (by either you or the camera). Even my mother's old Canon AE-1 SLR does this.
Old May 17, 2003, 7:30 AM   #6

Uh...let us please refrain from using the term "old" when referring to AE-1 owners or their equipment. :lol:

Actually my AE-1 doesn't do that...half pressing the shutter button sets the exposure lock but doesn't close down the shutter...if you want a preview of DOF, etc, there is a separate button for locking the shutter down to whatever aperture you wish to check.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 8:04 AM   #7

That's the button I meant, but it does "darken" what you see through the viewfinder, if you have the lens closed down.

And if you think that's old, the other day I saw a program on historic items and they were showing an Agfa Isolette and the person who brought it in talked about finding it in the back of their grandfather's closet...an Agfa Isolette was my first camera, and I'm only 35! (I still have mine, and it still works.)

Here's a link to the Isolette (not mine) that will show you what I'm talking about:

http://nzcp.wellington.net.nz/nzcpex...ms/ff98c02.htm

It's a camera from the 40's-50's where the lens can fold into the camera, you have to carry a separate light meter and rangefinder, and you have to manually cock the shutter.

added later, re: "manually C O C K the shutter"
It's funny how a word that is used to describe roosters, a term in plumbing, a part of a gun, the action of readying a gun (or in my case a camera) to shoot, can be censored by only one of the word's many definitions. When I read this message again I was wondering what I wrote that would have been censored (since I don't use those type of words in public forums).
Old May 17, 2003, 12:21 PM   #8
JDA

Thanks everyone for the replies and info!