Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Hi all,

Is there a way to delete everything on the memory card all in one go directly from the camera itself? I know the Olympus C-765 has a "erase all" button, but I don't see one on this camera. There is a format button but is that the same thing, and does it do any harm to keep reformating the memory card?

Thank ro any help,

Julie
little pencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:11 PM   #2

Reformatting is not the same thing. Deleting all the pictures is just deleting the pictures and reformatting is deleting everything on the memory card. It will not do any harm to just keep reformatting the memory card, but there is no possible way to get them back. If you just delete all of the pictures you could get the pictures back without overwriting them. i.e. taking more pictures to overwrite them.

Hope this Helps!

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

Thanks for your response.

Do you happen to know of a way to multiple delete pictures, without hooking the camera to a computer or just deleting the photos manuallyone by one from the camera itself?

Cheers,

Julie
little pencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:43 PM   #4
Administrator

shooting_rubber wrote:
Quote:
Reformatting is not the same thing. Deleting all the pictures is just deleting the pictures and reformatting is deleting everything on the memory card. It will not do any harm to just keep reformatting the memory card, but there is no possible way to get them back. If you just delete all of the pictures you could get the pictures back without overwriting them. i.e. taking more pictures to overwrite them.

Hope this Helps!

shooting_rubber.

Not really true. Using the camera's Format feature rarely destroys old pictures, most can be easily recovered with readily available recoveryutilities and a card reader if no new pictures were stored on the card and even then I've gotten back many old images.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Not really true. Using the camera's Format feature rarely destroys old pictures, most can be easily recovered with readily available recoveryutilities and a card reader if no new pictures were stored on the card and even then I've gotten back many old images.
Oh, ok thanks Steve for my misunderstanding...... I haven't ben able to recover any of my formatted card.....

shooting_rubber.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:01 AM   #6

You say you haven't been able to recover any on your formatted card. How have you tried to recover them? You need some software that is for that specific use. There are free utilities available that will do exactly that as long as you have not over written the original. I use 'PC Inspector Smart Recovery' by Convar. It has never let me down.
PhotoFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:56 PM   #7

PhotoFusion wrote:
Quote:
You say you haven't been able to recover any on your formatted card. How have you tried to recover them? You need some software that is for that specific use. There are free utilities available that will do exactly that as long as you have not over written the original. I use 'PC Inspector Smart Recovery' by Convar. It has never let me down.
is it free?

shooting_rubber.