Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 26, 2003, 3:16 PM   #1

Default I keep getting overexposed photos with SB-50DX and C-5050z..

I'm using a Nikon SB-50DX with the Olympus c-5050z. I have the camera set at Manual and I've also tried it at Aperature priority. when I take the photo, I keep getting overexposed photos. What can I do to have set properly so that the photos come out properly exposed?

I have the camera's flash setting turned off (no flash).

Kareem
Kareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 5:59 PM   #2

The problem is the camera is metering the available light, rather than the light that will be fired from the external flash. You'll have to use your flash guide (the little chart printed on flashes) and manual mode to set the exact shutter speed and f-stop required for the flash.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 2:56 PM   #3

Default Re: I keep getting overexposed photos with SB-50DX and C-505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem
I'm using a Nikon SB-50DX with the Olympus c-5050z. I have the camera set at Manual and I've set it at Aperature priority. when I take the photo, I keep getting overexposed photos. What can I do to have set properly so that the photos come out properly exposed?

I have the camera's flash setting turned off (no flash).

Kareem
First, you're conflicted with your statement, if you set your camera at manual mode, your camera is in manual mode, not aperture priority mode (you set your selectde aperture, the camera selects the shutter speed). In manual mode, you have to set both values yourself.

The Nikon SB-50DX does not have any dedicated functions with your camera at all, so it doesn't meter the flash light or set the synchro speed and aperture on the camera for you.. You will have two options:

1. Use the flash guide to set the shutter speed and aperture on you camera if your flash provided one, the flash guide probably base on the standard ISO of 100, make sure you set your ISO on the camera manually too. Or read your flash manual to find down what the guide number is (in ft or meters) based on standard ISO of 100. Take the guide number, divide by the distance between camera and subject( ft by ft, meter by meter), you will have the recommended F-stop, shutter speed is usually at 1/60 or at the recommeded shutter speed that the camera recommended for using flash (in general).

2. Use a flash meter to meter the flash light and use the recommended combination of F-stop and shutter speed from the meter reading. Be sure to set the ISO manually on your camera also.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4

Sorry. I made some edits to my initial posting. I've actually set the c-5050z to Manual and the flash is in Manual mode. What I've done is actually done some trial and error with my setup. I will be shooting photos in a hotel and will try some with the SB-50 and then with the built-in flash.
Kareem is offline   Reply With Quote