Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Other Makes

Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:52 PM   #1

I have a Jazz 178 and would like to turn off the volume so I can add music to my video clips without the background noise.

I have tried doing what the manual says to to but the sound will not turn off.

1-press the ok button

2-press the right button till ya get to settings

3-press ok on the sound

4-click the off option

when I do this it just keeps jumping back to the sound option.

when I record the sound is still on.

What am I doing wrong????
waynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:18 PM   #2

welcome aboard

what you are referring to is in the camera and only the sound you are turning off is the record button of video not the video sound itself

in order to MUTE the video you must use a editing program edit the video lines audio

andadd the audo to the music line

waynef wrote:
Quote:
I have a Jazz 178 and would like to turn off the volume so I can add music to my video clips without the background noise.

I have tried doing what the manual says to to but the sound will not turn off.

1-press the ok button

2-press the right button till ya get to settings

3-press ok on the sound

4-click the off option

when I do this it just keeps jumping back to the sound option.

when I record the sound is still on.

What am I doing wrong????
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3

As fishycomics says you cannot turn the sound off and you don't need to. That's what video editors are for. Since audio can easily be dubbed in a video editor, I would always leave the sound recording on, even you if *could* turn it off, since you can never go back and capture the scene again. After all you may want the original recorded sound for some reason in the future.

I know some digital cameras allow the capture of video without audio, but again I think it's pointless. Just like you should always record a still image at the maximum true resolution and never at any resolution below that. I am a great believer in capturing the maximum information from a scene since you can never go back in time.

When digital cameras were in their infancy there was some justification for these things as memory was expensive but not anymore!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:00 PM   #4

I think he means turning off the internal speaker to prevent the clicks and recording sounds from the camera (I'd say that's indeed very annoying).

Currently there's no way to do that, since every time the camera goes in poweroff the sound setting is reset.

Not a big deal in normal environments, but if you want to film nature, or want to record a meeting,you will want the camera to give you as little audible feedback as possible...

The red light on the record button, and the "REC" indicator is enough feedback to note that it's recording in silent environments.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote