Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Other Makes

Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:07 PM   #1

Hi Steve,
Do you see any indication that a Polaroid X530 would appear at your office anytime soon? I'm so curious to see it in your hands taking a round in your now so familiar neighbourhoods. I wonder how it performs.

best regards
Palegolas
palegolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:17 PM   #2
Administrator

MAybe they are still mad at me for turning them down on an offer to do a private review of it before it was decided to announce its impending public release. I am not sure when we'll get one exactly but I am pretty sure that we will. How's that for a bunch of double-talk? Just don't know when, sorry.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:49 PM   #3

I can't imagine the X530 being anything other than "too little too late", but I'd love to see Polaroid prove me wrong.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:40 PM   #4

Thanks.
At leaste I know it's out there and that you know about it (of course you do) I hope the built in "Fill Light" will be astounding.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:14 AM   #5
Administrator

I wouldn't set your expectations too high for this model.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...4/13/1349.html

More samples here (from a new X530 owner):

http://www.pbase.com/skaliwag/test_shots

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:29 AM   #6

There's something about the images from this camera that is just pure magic. Something with the colors, contrast, wide bright-to-dark span. Something that makes it look pure and realistic compared to many other digital cameras that has a strange digital feel. Perhaps most especially on skin textures.. as seen on these photos:
http://www.pbase.com/skaliwag/image/42063033
http://www.pbase.com/skaliwag/image/42063034

It's painful though to see the massive rainbow noise and dither like noise in the mid dark to dark regions that makes the camera practically unusable.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:44 AM   #7
Administrator

Well, I wouldn't pass judgement on it yet (but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high from what I've seen so far).

We don't even know if these are photos from a production model or not. Also, I have seen some better photos posted fromit taken in RAW and converted later. So, the in camera JPEG processing may be a weak link. Lens quality is another concern. I'll wait until seeing a review from a production camera by a reputable reviewer like Steve before forming any conclusions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8

I'd rather see a review on Fuji Finepix F10. The review by digitalcamerainfo looks extremely promising - if you set ISO manually.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 3:51 AM   #9

In short, all Foveon sensors are exactly like film. With all of the problems and limitations as well. This means RAW mode only, lowest ISO only(aperature priority preferred) and external processing only with the latest Sigma 2.x software.

Then it puts out perfect images. But *only* then. It's not fixable - it's the way the sensor works - like putting a roll of ISO 100 film in your camera - anything at all that you do to push it past ISO 100 or otherwise manipulate it will cause losses in quality. OTOH, a ISO 100 roll ofpro qualityfilm does some pretty amazing things as is Just shoot this camera exactly like your old 35mm - select ISO 100 and let the computers handle the shutter and/or aperature. Download it and run the photos through the "processing lab" on your computer.

Canon claims they will "fix" this. It can't because of the one ISO sensor. I just hope Canon is smart enough to figure this out and not pul the camera because it's "quality" is too low. Btw - the Sigma SD10 does the exact same damage to the images the second you move it from ISO 100. It's a beautiful still and scenery camera, though - the best available for the money. But it doesn't do low-light or action shots any better than your AE-1 would with 100 speed film in it.
Plekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:53 AM   #10

I was in the UK last week and a friend got his hand on a sales sample! I didn't get to spend much time with it because itlocked up on me a couple of times, I had to remove the battery, Plus I just heardthe x530was recalled again in August!Go figure. This camerais BIG and UGLY! The fit and finish was a little shotty, the photo sector knob graphics were slightly miss-alined, The sensor is really a 1.5 meg pix, Sigmacoined the 4.5 garbage count the number of pixels not layers! Besides If this sensor was any good Kodak or Cannon wouldbe selling one by now!Hum It makes me wonderif thissensor is all it's cracked up to be!Does WWL havea better R&D than Cannon or Sony?I hope Steve will give us a review soon. .....But in the mean time I will spend my money on quality andphoto science technology for a Cannon, Kodak, Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta, Casio, HP.Becauseright now Polaroid is no better than a Concord camera.

Mr. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote