Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Other Makes

Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:20 PM   #1

I JUST RAN INTO AN AD A RITZ CAMERA ABOUT THIS CAMERA. COMES IN TWO MODELS , R30 AND R60. STARTED LOOKING FOR INFO ON IT AND ONLY THING I CAN SEE DIFFERENT ABOUT THE 30 AND 60 IS THE SIZE OF THE HARD DRIVE.

REALLY SOUNDS LIKE INTERESTING CAMERA, HAS HARD DRIVE AND A SD SLOT, AND LOTS OF CONNECTIONS.

CAN'T SEEM TO FIND OUT ANYTHING ABOUT THE BATTERY AND IT'S LIFE AND REPLACEMENT (2ND BATTERY). NOT SURE IF COMES WITH CRADLE AS A CHARGER.

THE TORSIBA SITE I WENT TO HAS EVEN LESS INFO.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ONE OR KNOWS A SITE I CAN GET AN INFO, THAT WOULD BE GREAT..... I MEAN I DON'T SEE ANY REVIEWS AT ALL.... MAYBE JUST LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE. THANKS ED
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

This is the only review I can find:

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/rev...main18158.html

Seems it has the same shortfalls as the first JVC Everio - poor video quality because of (I think) low quality CCD (eg. poor low light, soft image/ color etc.), not as they said due to "MPEG2 compression". But damn the price is much lower than the first Everio and very affordable!! Until the manufacturers stop recycling "old parts" (especially low quality CCD) in their newest hard drive camcorders to boost profit, I won't consider them. Hope that Pana is coming up with its hard drive version of the miniature SDR-S100 soon mated with the excellent lens and good CCD, but the price, wow, will be touching the sky again.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

Have, the camera, posted my impressions http://cynicaladmin.blogspot.com/200...n_archive.html , let me know if you have any question, be happy to help
cosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

I think this review is overly negative. I got the camera for $580 from http://buydig.com - i believe that's cheaper than comparable MGs.

I'm not sure what kind of video quality these guys are looking for, and to be honest i haven't had the opportunity to play with DV based cameras, but in my opinion the quality is very good.

Compression noise is minimal. While you do see it on ocasion, the videos still appear of very high quality. For me, the benefits of being able to plug the camera into a USB port and instsantly transfer my images and videos, instead of waiting for 6 hours, far outweigh the minor noise issues.

cosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks cosa for your review, especially your opinion on how the Gigashot fares against the Xacti C6!

Does it actually say (on the camcorder or in the specs) it uses a Canon lens ? (I see some adshots of the camcordershowing the the labels of a Canon lens but some don't).

It would be great if you cancomment on the battery life. I can't find anywhere to buy spare batteries (proprietary or third-party) as well, thats a bummer!

I agree "Video quality" is like beauty, it is all in the eyes of the beholder, it is up to us to decide individually whether it is good enough for our own use. I believe you are saying that the video quality is similar to if not any worse than the Xacti C6 (which I find quite decent for general use but well below the quality of miniDV). However, for consumer camcorder quality, the state-of-art that most camcorder review sites compare with is miniDV, and I do agree that MPEG4 (and most low bitrate MPEG2) camcorders are not there now. But it will be there in the future, with better codecs, faster+cheaper video encoding chips and flash memory cards (I wager most manufacturers are betting on flash card improvement and falling price rather than spending money and time on codec/ video chip development).

I definitely agree that you cannot beat the Gigashot R30 for its price and good value - for its decently small size, tapeless hard drive (for convenience of many hours of video), convenience of DVD-compatible MPEG2 (fast USB transfer and burn, no transcoding), and functionality of the usual camcorder (eg. long zoom). It would appeal to people who are looking more for a non-tape camcorder taking videos than a hybrid camera doing both video and stills.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6

thx cosa nice review but the 2 meag pixcle is what prevent me not to buy it they should have at least put 3.2 Mp even mobile phoen are with 3 MP now so it is relay strange :roll:
Netuser is offline   Reply With Quote