Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:22 AM   #1

Default Matryoshka doll (Russian nested doll)

Matryoshka doll, known as a Russian nested doll. Taken with a Nokia N95 phone camera...
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:47 AM   #2

Default Matryoshka doll (Original photo)

Here is the original photo without postprocessing... FYI
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3

A couple of things.

First, I like this shot. These dolls are always cute, and you choose a really good one for this demonstration. I believe the picture would be even better if not so tightly cropped.

Second, let me note that your original file before processing looks pretty damn good on the Net. Yet when I download it, and look at it on my monitor its waaaaay to dark.

All of the above is because images change the way they look on a monitor to the way they look on the WEB. There is also the problem which I haven't noticed before, in that you shot (or converted it) into "Index Color" mode. This means you are limited to 256 colors (making your shots a hell of a lot more impressive to me). You might want to try examining them on your website before you post them. Some image processing programs actually allow a preview of how a photograph will look on the Web.

Again, most of the above is simply noticing things about the WEB, the Net, and monitors, and not a criticism of this delightful shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Dave! Please, criticise, correct, compliment, but please help, your words, well really anyone's words are welcomed.

As you know, and [NED ACTION: Ned holds his head down in shame], this shot was taken with a Nokia N95. Yes, it was a little undersexposed, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how it could be dark when you download it to your monitor. That's a mystery... I really look, and as first-born, I really look, to make sure the lighting was ok, given the phone camera's abilities and limitations.

As for "Index colour" mode, these things are still new... I have been using film and at nearly 53, I am now switching to digital... I included the original shot just to show that I am trying to learn my way around using computer software... I still have to learn about the index colour mode, and all... I do, I really did examine the photos before I posted them, what I see on my screen is the same as I see here... and I did use preview before sending them... Yikes, I hope my last few uploads have not been putting people off, perhaps, as I was thinking BEFORE your kind post, perhaps I should just "cool my jets" and wait till I buy my new camera.

Many kind thanks, Dave! Always glad to hear from you. Please chime in anytime.

All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
As you know, and [NED ACTION: Ned holds his head down in shame], this shot was taken with a Nokia N95. Yes, it was a little undersexposed, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how it could be dark when you download it to your monitor. That's a mystery... I really look, and as first-born, I really look, to make sure the lighting was ok, given the phone camera's abilities and limitations.
Considering the quality of your images, no need to apologise for the, err, odd configuration of your camera...

You posted two versions, explaining that shot two was the unprocessed image. It looks fine on the WEB, but waaay too dark on my monitor. I wasn't referring to shot number one.

Quote:
As for "Index colour" mode, these things are still new... I have been using film and at nearly 53, I am now switching to digital... I included the original shot just to show that I am trying to learn my way around using computer software... I still have to learn about the index colour mode, and all... I do, I really did examine the photos before I posted them, what I see on my screen is the same as I see here... and I did use preview before sending them... Yikes, I hope my last few uploads have not been putting people off, perhaps, as I was thinking BEFORE your kind post, perhaps I should just "cool my jets" and wait till I buy my new camera.

Many kind thanks, Dave! Always glad to hear from you. Please chime in anytime.

All the best.

Ned
After noticing that you used Index Mode for this shot, I checked your others. Some are in "Adobe 98,", some are in a version of "sRGB".

These are 16 million color modes (although Adobe is a more flexible color mode for processing, it contains a larger gamut of colors then sRGB). This topic I'm raising is called "Color Space."

Here's a link from Wiki:
Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always shoot in Adobe 98 color space because it has a greater gamut of colors, but generally I convert to sRGB for posting on the WEB. But I always preview the images. Every once in a while the conversion from Adobe to the Web works better than sRGB.

Again - I like the shot.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:02 PM   #6

Many kind thanks! Wow, odd that the second photo is too dark, on my screen it is just a little darker... So, I wanted sit down during lunch and learn how to post-processing on the computer, making it lighter, and everything else. When I get my camera, I assure ya, there will me a more notation of what is done.

As for the Adobe 98 and sRGB... wow, I just know that I use the camera... and it does what it does, but may in the post-processing something was done... I do know that I change, try to change everything to jpeg.

One big, big, BIG problem I have at the moment is that every photo from my camera is like 2 MB, and no matter what I do to resize it... it takes a lot of doing...

Well, much to learn. Thanks so very, Dave. Really appreciate your advice, feedback and corrections.

All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:04 PM   #7

Oh, Dave, one more thing... the background on both pictures above looks terrible. I have the original here... and it is better... I really see the difference... just have to learn how to best deal with problem better. Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Oh, Dave, one more thing... the background on both pictures above looks terrible. I have the original here... and it is better... I really see the difference... just have to learn how to best deal with problem better. Thanks.
Index color gives you only a small leeway in making changes. 256 colors?

Software does a great job in making the image look as if it has a wide range of color - But in fact it does not - So processing such an image is difficult. It would be a little easier if you converted it to RGB - But it would have been Much easier, if you never converted to Index Color at all. Probably happened when you converted to "GIF" format.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:41 PM   #9

Oh, I see... I did convert to GIF in order to get to the desired size to upload...

I am sorry... Well, I would be very happy to wait till I get my camera... I think it be wise to put my phone camera to rest, I was thinking of this much earlier... Right now, I am just trying to find the best camera to get, there are two models I am looking at, and I have to wait for this tax return.

Many kind thanks, indeed, for the info Dave.

All the best and do take care.

Ned