Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default What can I do with this shot? An exercise in cropping

Took this shot on Saint Patricks Day. Not a very good photograph, and although I posted it already, I'm not posting it to show off my skill...

Even so, I was looking at this image and wondering how many images I could make from it.

Here's the original image:

Ok, so far so bad, here are some of the photographs I've made from this one shot. None of them are anything to write home about, even so, I found this an interesting exercise...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:30 AM   #2

I would say that #1 works, #'s 2 & 4 do not, you're chopping off one or the others face. #'s 3 &5 work too. How about one with just the two gals in it? Just my opinion.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:52 AM   #3

Just an observation, but if you are using a eye detection digital camera. If this is the effect great, it will focus in on what your looking at "like the second girl" and the two people in front are fuzzy. My camera has eye detection and I noticed while taking action shots if I do not look directly at the subject I want to shoot, one player will come in focused and the other burry even if they are running next to each other. Im still playing with my camera.
ste6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
I would say that #1 works, #'s 2 & 4 do not, you're chopping off one or the others face. #'s 3 &5 work too. How about one with just the two gals in it? Just my opinion.
There's a thought...
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6 View Post
Just an observation, but if you are using a eye detection digital camera. If this is the effect great, it will focus in on what your looking at "like the second girl" and the two people in front are fuzzy. My camera has eye detection and I noticed while taking action shots if I do not look directly at the subject I want to shoot, one player will come in focused and the other burry even if they are running next to each other. Im still playing with my camera.
No, this was shot with the Sigma DP2, and I'm not particulerly impressed with any of the shots The last shot was simply sharpening the young lady in the back ground, and applying gaussian blur to the rest.

I posted this as "an exercise in cropping." While none of these pictures are anything to write home about, some of the smaller crops are more interesting than the whole.

I just wanted to give people "food for thought."

How many interesting images are within our images?

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:14 PM   #6

I actually like the last shot the best. The girl in the back round is the sharpest, her eyes just drawing you into the picture. Makes me think about taking a shot were the obvious subject is not the sharpest but instead an off centered back round image draws you deep into the shot.
Mike
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:44 AM   #7

Chato, you made this an exercise in cropping, my only comments would be to crop just a tiny bit from the left, there is some object there (on the far left) that seems better when it is out of the picture. The rule of thirds is good. I love the big (photogenic) eyes of the girl in the background. Honestly you crop too much of anything, in my humble opinion. Thanks. I really like it when we have a specific subject (i.e. cropping) and discuss improvements, if any. Many kind thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKPUDGIES View Post
I actually like the last shot the best. The girl in the back round is the sharpest, her eyes just drawing you into the picture. Makes me think about taking a shot were the obvious subject is not the sharpest but instead an off centered back round image draws you deep into the shot.
Mike
It is sort of an example of how a photograph can lie. I could swear from this momentary capture that the young lady is "coming on to me." This is absolutely false - I caught her (without intention) looking at me "invitingly," which was not the case (although she later sucked up to Chato; he inspires many woman to be friendly to me in order to hug the dog).

Dave