Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 30, 2004, 6:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,652
Default Old-style compositing

Looking at an older photography book today, I came across a photo that had a slight glow to it. It was done by taking two photos of the same thing, one in focus and one slightly out of focus, then sandwiching the negatives for printing. It reminded me of Photoshop's "diffuse glow," but I liked how it looked better than the results I get with the filter. So I gave it a try. I placed the out-of-focus photo as the top layer, then erased those areas that I wanted in focus. What looks like a leather background is actually brown cloth that's blurred. (If I practice, I might even get good at this. )

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,399

The Technique is called an Orton.

Michael Orton describes it in his book "Creative Landscapes"
So do Andre Gallant and Freeman Patterson in the book "Photo Impressionism"

Using film the base technique is:
one frame in focus 2 stops over-exposed,
one frame well out of focus (set aperture to wide open so you don't get any unexpected depth of field) 1 stop over-exposed.

It is reproducable in PS.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
digcamfan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,422

Very nice, Bcoultry

and thanks, PeterP for the film v. dig explanations
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.