Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 48888] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/%5Brecovered-thread-48888%5D-47433/)

Hazzarbone Feb 24, 2005 5:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dunno how this guy can feed upside down......sorry the bees are not in this Photo

greenboy Feb 24, 2005 6:49 AM

Very colorful! I try not to say much about anyone's techniques usually because everybody seems to have their own approach and path to learning how to make photots the way they want them to be. But I do sometimes mention how you can fix technical shortcomings of the equipment. In this case, if you want (for instance) that green area to the left to be a lot smoother, you can use Neat Image (that's the one I use) or Noise Ninja or other denoising to take out all the nnoise that makes things less than smooth, without disturbing actual detail. In fact many times it brings out the real details more because their isn't distractions of off-color pixels all around.

These plugins (or they can be run standalone) can be applied to entire pictures or to various areas with different settings. They'll also usually find optimum settings automatically for a picture or area - or you can use camera profiles. I think the FZ20 profile I downloaded for Neat Image has 20 different profiles, for various ISO, white balances, etc. It can also do some selective sharpening.

Take a look at == Zooooom == and check out the smooth areas. If you were to look at the pics at 200 or 300% you wouldn't find to many pixels that didn't blend in with their neighbors in those areas. And still the edges are/can be sharply defined.

Hope you didn't think that was a criticism of your skill with the camera : }

boyzo Feb 24, 2005 7:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lorrikeet
1/125 f4 ASA50, zoom max, spot mode

shotgunbride Feb 24, 2005 7:28 AM

fresh veggies, lorrikeets...you guys live in paradise!

greenboy Feb 24, 2005 7:38 AM

Yep - it's 15 degrees fahrenheit here. And all the birds are trying to figure out whether to migrate back to Alaska or not ; }

...Cool capture, boyzo! What's that web thing?

shotgunbride Feb 24, 2005 7:51 AM

Greenboy, you are green. there in a fruit tree, you can tell from the foliage,netting to keep the birds from eating it's bounty.

greenboy Feb 24, 2005 7:55 AM

They don't do that over here that I know of. So I guess one has to know everything about everywhere to rate, huh? ; }

Where at in Jersey? I went visiting over there a couple years ago just inland and pretty far south. Remarkable old New England country feel down there! I never knew Jersey was part of New England so it must have just borrowed some architecture and landscape props ; }

TimvdVelde Feb 24, 2005 8:00 AM

First photo seems out of focus. The right feeder thingy seems to in-focus. AF got the wrong focus point I guess. Maybe spot focus will do the trick. This could be a better photo with other focuspoint.

cheers,

Tim

shotgunbride Feb 24, 2005 8:36 AM

Here, we're not what people think of as Jersey. Tiny beach town, south of Atlantic City. Very charming, my house is a '30s cape cod, a leftover from when life was simple. Like Cape May...google pics.

boyzo Feb 24, 2005 9:34 AM

greenboy wrote:
Quote:

Yep - it's 15 degrees fahrenheit here. And all the birds are trying to figure out whether to migrate back to Alaska or not ; }

...Cool capture, boyzo! What's that web thing?
bird netting, its an apple tree.

Hazzarbone Feb 24, 2005 3:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
G'day greenboy and others, it was a real bugger trying to get focus at full zoom 430+, he just wouldn't keep still, maybe because of all the bees as in the next photo, maybe I should of backed off the zoom a bit. The bird was on the next bunch of flowers.

boyzo Feb 24, 2005 3:42 PM

Hazzarbone wrote:
Quote:

G'day greenboy and others, it was a real bugger trying to get focus at full zoom 430+, he just wouldn't keep still, maybe because of all the bees as in the next photo, maybe I should of backed off the zoom a bit. The bird was on the next bunch of flowers.
They are hard to capture, try spot mode and use burst mode.

greenboy Feb 24, 2005 4:06 PM

Hey Hazzarbone,

Whcih stabilizer mode are you using? I get better results with mode 2, as they mention in the manual. Plus, NOT haveing stibilization in the viewfinder while framing the shot really encourages one to hold steadier ; }

RedHouse Feb 24, 2005 4:11 PM

I thought you didn't have a FZ Greenboy.

Hazzarbone Feb 24, 2005 5:37 PM

I had everything on, tripod, stabilser 2, burst mode on many of the shots,.... jeez it just must be me old eyes...or maybe the bourbon wasnt helpin.

anyways many thanks for some more ideas on digi photo takin

Hazz

DynamoHum Feb 24, 2005 5:43 PM

It's best to turn off OIS with a tripod.

TimvdVelde Feb 24, 2005 6:32 PM

Is this digital zoom ?

greenboy Feb 24, 2005 6:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...Unless you're one of those people who jolts the works when snapping ; } ...Mode 2 probably doesn't impact this type of use for that type of shot, hmmm?

I ran a pass of Neat Image and gave the pic a quick sharpening - without the Neat Image first it would have looked kind of harsh.

Hazzarbone Feb 24, 2005 11:44 PM

G'day one and all....Tim with the FZ20 I went pass the 12 zoom and into the next section as far as it would go...if that answers the question.

..and greenboy I had meant to ask which 'noise' program you used, as my old Paint shop dont do too much, and 300 dollars here in aussie land for the PSPro 9 just aint in my wallet atm.

and thanks Gboy that made a big diff.

Thanks all again

Hazz

TimvdVelde Feb 25, 2005 3:05 AM

G'day hazzard :)

It would make a big difference when you don't shoot digital zoom. When you just shoot 12 x optical. There is much more room for cropping. And more cropping -> more room for composition. I also believe it results in a sharper picture, but some people don't.

Hazzarbone Feb 25, 2005 3:47 PM

G'day Tim, yep...This has been mentioned to me via private mail and the ex brother-in-law said the same, I looked thru some other photos where I've done 12 x then digi and they are all pretty much the same problem.

Again many thanks Hazz

DynamoHum Feb 25, 2005 4:13 PM

You can turn off the digital zoom in the menu to avoid accidently going to far:arrow:

boyzo Feb 25, 2005 5:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[Ter=27109]Hazzarbone[/user] wrote:
Quote:

I had everything on, tripod, stabilser 2, burst mode on many of the shots,.... jeez it just must be me old eyes...or maybe the bourbon wasnt helpin.

anyways many thanks for some more ideas on digi photo takin

Hazz
Hazz Lorikeets are beautifull birds, my fav.

They are hard to capture, but don't give up.

This shot is ASA400,FZ1v2 the light this morning was low.
noise removall with ACDSEE 7

RedHouse Feb 25, 2005 6:12 PM

Very nice;)

boyzo Feb 25, 2005 6:39 PM

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:

Very nice;)
Hey the waters fine :)

boyzo Feb 25, 2005 6:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RedHouse wrote:
Quote:

Very nice;)
Hey the waters fine :)

JandG Feb 25, 2005 8:08 PM

Hazzarbone said:

I had everything on, tripod, stabilser 2, burst mode on many of the shots,.... jeez it just must be me old eyes...or maybe the bourbon wasnt helpin

You may want to turn MODE 2 off when using your camera on a tripod.

This is also in the Panasonic manual page 74 in my book Optical Image Stabilizer.

Hope this helps and kindest regards

boyzo Feb 25, 2005 9:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Closer

boyzo Feb 25, 2005 9:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ASA200 1/250 f4 55mm (12x) zoom