Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 83274] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/%5Brecovered-thread-83274%5D-81253/)

wadeatl Feb 17, 2006 7:45 PM

Hi all .... I just received a Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x Wide Angle Lens to use with my FZ30. It's a little late to do any significant tests but my initial reaction is it looks pretty good. Let me preface that with that I have no experience with wide angle converters (and I'm pretty new to the FZ30). I've been reading all I can and looking at all the comparisons on all the web forums and it came down to the Xenar and LW55 ... in the end I figured it was worth a chance to give the Xenar a try.

I have learned so much from you all and would like to contribute back with trying the lens out and posting the results. I'm not sure whats the best tests are to conduct....short of going to another testers house and setting up a tripod in his front yard. Please let me know what tests you would like me to perform and I will do what I can to accommodate. I just received the TCON 17 as well ..... going to be a fun weekend!

fmoore Feb 17, 2006 7:56 PM

wadeatl wrote:
Quote:

going to be a fun weekend!
Sounds like it! Welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us are looking forward to some samples with the fz30 and kodak-schneider wa. The most critical area of the wa lens is the corners where vignetting andca and softness are most likely to show up. Try to get some high contrasted objects like treebranchesin those areas to give it the acid test. Also zoom in some to2x, 4x, and6xto see how it handles the corners atlower zooms.

genece Feb 17, 2006 8:24 PM

The stuff Fred mentioned and be sure to do it as wide as possible and a photo at wide of a building and or a brick wall would be nice. To check for distortion.

I never thought anyone was going to try one of those....thanks

I will be looking forward to some photos.

wadeatl wrote:
Quote:

Hi all .... I just received a Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x Wide Angle Lens to use with my FZ30. It's a little late to do any significant tests but my initial reaction is it looks pretty good. Let me preface that with that I have no experience with wide angle converters (and I'm pretty new to the FZ30). I've been reading all I can and looking at all the comparisons on all the web forums and it came down to the Xenar and LW55 ... in the end I figured it was worth a chance to give the Xenar a try.

I have learned so much from you all and would like to contribute back with trying the lens out and posting the results. I'm not sure whats the best tests are to conduct....short of going to another testers house and setting up a tripod in his front yard. Please let me know what tests you would like me to perform and I will do what I can to accommodate. I just received the TCON 17 as well ..... going to be a fun weekend!

Cwood Feb 17, 2006 9:03 PM

Waiting for the results......:Gfmore, I remember you suggesting the lens on my post, but nobody tried it on a FZ30, so I thought I would wait a little.Lets see if your suggestion would have paid off.;)I have a credit card in had as soon as the results are in.....:lol:

Thanks.....

polar905 Feb 17, 2006 9:33 PM

I am glad to see the familiar faces on a thread about the Kodak WA and FZ30. I will also be waiting to see the results, and will probably have my decision done before the end of the weekend.

Where is the cheapest price btw? B&H seems to be the one I found.

Cwood Feb 18, 2006 12:20 PM

I hope the lens test is going well.:GI hope wadeatl has some results for us sometime this weekend on the lens. Ive been looking for a WA lens for awhile now and hope this is the one.;)Wadeatl, what all came with the len? The site states:
  • Kodak DX7590 DX6490 wide lens [/*]
  • Protective storage pouch.
[/*]
Does it come with end caps? Just thought I would check. I like how the Olympus comes with the end caps.

wadeatl Feb 18, 2006 8:56 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. It was a cold rainy day in Atlanta...but fortunately was able to get out for 40 minutes or so to try out the new lens. I have to say its up in the air...

I took a bunch of shots and posted those that I thought would be of most interest at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

There appears to be a similar flaw in the Schneider lens as the WCON07 with a center blur. It's odd that in some cases it's there and others it isn't. You will see a few shots that are essentially the same where it appears without a doubt and the other looks fine.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions.....sorry for the short message.....but wanted to get something off tonight.

Cwood Feb 18, 2006 9:01 PM

Bummmmmer:(After looking at the pics, it does look like its having the same effect as the Wcon-07. I wonder if you can do the same thing they did to fix the problem with the Wcon-07.

Cwood Feb 18, 2006 9:06 PM

Just incase you did not know, here is the link on what they did to fix the problem with the Wcon-07

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

wadeatl Feb 18, 2006 9:09 PM

Cwood....I'm a little bummed as well....but not totally out as there are some shots where the center is absolutely perfect and crisp..... need to look into it further. The step adapters may work out as a fix ....

BTW .. Sorry forgot to answer your question....yes it came with both lens caps and a small pouch.

Cwood Feb 18, 2006 9:11 PM

How does the quality of the lens feel/look? Is the lenshousing plastic?

wadeatl Feb 18, 2006 9:17 PM

Cwood... I have to say the look and feel of he lens it quite impressive. It is matte plastic...but has some heft to it. I will try to take some pics of it attached to the FZ30 tomorrow.

Cwood Feb 18, 2006 9:19 PM

Please, When you get the chance, I wouldreally like to see some pics with it on the FZ30.:-)

xedrox Feb 19, 2006 4:14 AM

Why not use the raynox HD-6600 Pro 55 with 55mm threads? What i've heard of it it works perfectly, no need to use tricks on this lens to get good results.

xedrox Feb 19, 2006 4:37 AM

After reading this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I'm not sure if the raynos is the best choice.

It seems that the panasonic lw55 is the best:

http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/25/fc/40_1.JPG

The downside is that is more expensive

:?

Cwood Feb 19, 2006 7:19 AM

I checked into the Panasonic lens and its nice, but at twice the cost of the others? I think that lens goes for $200.00+:O

genece Feb 19, 2006 7:47 AM

I think those photos are very nice...I am not seeing the center softness you mention.

Better weather may help but I am impressed with the very little distortion and the edges seem fine.

Are you sure there is some center softness? And not just a focus problem?

this photo really seems nice ...good focus ...good edges..and almost no CA.

http://static.flickr.com/28/10140546...g?v=1140317855

Cwood Feb 19, 2006 7:51 AM

I can see the soft center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/101406333/

Looking at the photo dead center, I can see the blur.:sad:

genece Feb 19, 2006 8:47 AM

Yes I can see it there now....and it seems identical to the Wcon07...so the rings Lovelife uses should fix that also.

Also CK has said right along that he felt the Kodak Schneider-Kreuznach lens was the same as the Wcon07, even though B&H's description seemed to show otherwise, it must be so.

I will just keep using the Raynox6600 not that I think the quality is better , but the coverage is better and it serves my purpose better.

polar905 Feb 19, 2006 10:24 AM

There is only one photo I see a blur in, the others seem ok. Where they taken with the WA lens still attached?

The other photos are very nice and I can't see any issues with them, just that one.

Cwood Feb 19, 2006 10:28 AM

If you take a look at this pic, there looks to be a soft center. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...600&size=l

fmoore Feb 19, 2006 11:09 AM

I think they all have soft centers with the possible exception of the "crisp center" brick wall, which pretty much confirms CK'sopinion that the oly wcon07 and the kodak-schneider are very similar if not identical. Try putting a 55mm uv filter between the fz30 and the wa and see if that added distance removes the soft center. It might also result in vignetting in which case get one of lovelife's C-rings. You could try putting a rubber band (or something like that) on the wa threads or in the fz30 threads so that it doesn't thread in all the way. That might give it enoughadded distance to get rid of the soft spot.

Cwood Feb 19, 2006 1:37 PM

Im starting to think the only way you are going to get a good quality picture using a 07 is to get the Panasonic lens, unless you what to use the 2 rings to fix the problem with the others. The down fall about the Panasonic is the cost:O:OThat lens is $200.00+ ...Ouch.

wadeatl Feb 19, 2006 2:38 PM

Thanks for all the comments.... I will post a few more pictures today with a b + w 55mm UV Filter mounted between the FZ and converter. I messed a bit with it last night and it appears it makes the corners dark but just barely. If I adjust the zoom just a notch it appeared to look fine. I will note the exact zoom when taking the shots.

Someone asked if all the pictures were taken with the Wide Converter on and the answer is yes. That is what seems a little bazaar to me as the brick wall shot taken seconds after the other doesn't appear to have a soft spot as the other one obviously did. I will take a couple of quick shots of the adapter as well to see if that will help with verifying its similarity to the WCON07.

wadeatl Feb 19, 2006 4:11 PM

I just got back from taking a few shots with B + W Filter place between the FZ and the Xenar Lens. My initial assessment is that I am now happy with the lens. The filter really seemed to make a difference and there was very little corner loss. I did take some of the pictures with the lens completely wide and other with it slightly adjusted. I used the the 3 and 5 on the zoom to denote the position when I took some of the shots. You will be able to tell on a few of the pictures with the filter where I adjusted the zoom as they will have a number of 3 or 5 in the file name.

I tried to upload them on to Flickr but I guess I already exceeded my monthly upload limit so I made a page on my personal account with the most critical pictures from yesterday compared to those I took today. The pictures can be found at

http://www.jenstead.com/fz30wide/index.html

fmoore Feb 19, 2006 7:20 PM

I didn't see any 3 or 5 to indicate some zoom was used. Neither did I see vignetting on any of the shots, so, unless zoom was applied in all of them,it couldn't be much of a problem.

polar905 Feb 19, 2006 9:10 PM

Wonder if there will be an issue if you were to stack a Cir-Pol filter with the lens, since I am probably going to have that on my camera more than a UV (haven't bought one yet) filter.

fmoore Feb 20, 2006 7:45 AM

polar905 wrote:
Quote:

Wonder if there will be an issue if you were to stack a Cir-Pol filter with the lens, since I am probably going to have that on my camera more than a UV (haven't bought one yet) filter.

A polarizer filter is approx twice the thickness of a uv filter and will probably cause significant vignetting.