Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 96493] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/%5Brecovered-thread-96493%5D-94188/)

genece Jul 2, 2006 11:54 AM

For those that have not seen this on other forums

These are all straight from the camera...no editting.
I will process some, but I am overwhelmed with photos now.


These were all taken by my wife and her photo skills are listed in my rant below. There are 180 photos if you have the time.

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fontsize3fz30font/fz30goestoalaska


This comment is for those considering a FZ camera.




Here are some photos Taken on our Vacation by my wife with the FZ30, these photos are right out of the camera, only resized by Windows to save me some time and space.

I will do some PP on the originals when I get the chance, but for now I am still busy sorting photos.

I should add both my wife and I are Point and shoot picture takers, with my wife carrying that to the extreme …she will touch no dials or settings.

The only buttons she touches are the on/off switch the shutter button and the zoom control.

The point of our photos are for our memories, and to show our friends and kids what we saw.

The point I am trying to make is, that for a simple camera that's very easy to use, I am not sure any other camera can do better at all these various conditions.

There are landscape photos and photos of wildlife that are really wild, not in zoos or cages.

Is the noise a problem…not for us! But maybe for you.



Can these photos all be taken with another $500.00 camera….I do not think so! (all other FZ's excluded.)

I do have these photos taken with a D50 and a few lenses…that I think are as good but not much better.

They have as good a quality and no noise…..but are they worth 5 times the price?
I do not think so.



I can live with the noise that's present, in exchange for the lack of fringing, excellent metering, accurate focusing and the convenience and price of the F30.

Is it a professional camera….I do not think so.



Is it a wonderful camera for someone that enjoys wildlife photos ….you bet it is!

Just my take on the excellent FZ30.


http://imageevent.com/grc6/fontsize3fz30font/fz30goestoalaska

Telecorder Jul 2, 2006 3:16 PM

Gene-

Interesting that it seems Steve's has had little member activity the last few weeks. Must be the members here areall on extended vacations as youand your wife just experienced...

As I posted elsewhere, I'm most impressed with your wife's progression of experience in the images posted. I hope you take the time to tweak #115542 (#162) and repost it directly in the forum along with some of your D50 images that you were taking (or at least link to the Nikon dSLR forum if/when you do...)

From your comments, it appears that you've found the D50 has different strengths but that, for the glass you had for it, the FZ30 more than held its own in the long ranges... Fair enough comment?

bayourebel Jul 2, 2006 4:41 PM

Genece, thanks for sharing these photos. I did the whole slideshow, and they are all absolutely gorgeous photos. All taken in normal program mode. Your wife does have a good eye for capturing the wildlife. And the landscapes are just beautiful to behold. This was probably as close as I will come to going to Alaska.

Thanks again.

Jerry

P. S. I saved the gallery address to review again.

genece Jul 2, 2006 4:58 PM

Telecorder

More than a fair comment for sure......The FZ30 is something special in my opinion.

Since there is a good reason to have the D50 for low light. (Not much does that better).

and then the 18 to 200VR is a nice walk around lens...I felt I may as well get a long lens also...but in my hands (at least) it is not much better than the FZ30.

A little better perhaps but not really a huge improvement.

I have no doubt a good photographer can do much better than me.....And Idid getsome good photos with the D50, but how much better? not a lot. IMHO

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:

Gene-

Interesting that it seems Steve's has had little member activity the last few weeks. Must be the members here areall on extended vacations as youand your wife just experienced...

As I posted elsewhere, I'm most impressed with your wife's progression of experience in the images posted. I hope you take the time to tweak #115542 (#162) and repost it directly in the forum along with some of your D50 images that you were taking (or at least link to the Nikon dSLR forum if/when you do...)

From your comments, it appears that you've found the D50 has different strengths but that, for the glass you had for it, the FZ30 more than held its own in the long ranges... Fair enough comment?

Telecorder Jul 2, 2006 7:41 PM

genece wrote:
Quote:

More than a fair comment for sure......The FZ30 is something special in my opinion.

Since there is a good reason to have the D50 for low light. (Not much does that better).

and then the 18 to 200VR is a nice walk around lens...I felt I may as well get a long lens also...but in my hands (at least) it is not much better than the FZ30.

A little better perhaps but not really a huge improvement.

I have no doubt a good photographer can do much better than me.....And Idid getsome good photos with the D50, but how much better? not a lot. IMHO
Was your comment about the 18-200 VR or a different, longerlens? I'm waiting on a Cameta D50 w/new Kittie Tamron lens (28-80 + 70-300)... Supposedly due from UPS next Thursday.:-) Can't afford the VR lenses, as yet, so I guess I'll see just how steady I can be w/my Manfrotto for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how the FZ30 native w/OIS compares to the Tamron/D50 combo without IS. From what I've seen & read about the Tamron 70-300 LD being soft above 200,and now w/your experiences w/ apparently the better 18-200 VR, I guess I'll need to start saving for next year's b'day present to myself...:sad::roll:

Sure wish the KD5 wasn't so much more expensive and hard to find... or I would have gone that way soI would have some IS in the body... :sad:



Looking forward to more of your posts... :lol:

genece Jul 2, 2006 8:16 PM

I can shoot the 18 to 200VR handheld ( with the VR off) if I raise the ISO and am very careful....but I have a Sigma 80 to 400OS that there is no way I can handhold that without the stabilization..

I would say the VR or OS is a necessity for me, I am sure others can handle 300mm with no problem....but not me...I could not do that when I was young.

I had all but given up on taking photos when the FZ1 came along...tried one and got the FZ10 as soon as it came out.

The FZs were a huge deal for me.

A lot of those photos were on a rocking boat and the stabilization is a big plus there also.



Telecorder
Quote:

Quote:


Was your comment about the 18-200 VR or a different, longerlens? I'm waiting on a Cameta D50 w/new Kittie Tamron lens (28-80 + 70-300)... Supposedly due from UPS next Thursday.:-) Can't afford the VR lenses, as yet, so I guess I'll see just how steady I can be w/my Manfrotto for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how the FZ30 native w/OIS compares to the Tamron/D50 combo without IS. From what I've seen & read about the Tamron 70-300 LD being soft above 200,and now w/your experiences w/ apparently the better 18-200 VR, I guess I'll need to start saving for next year's b'day present to myself...:sad::roll:

Sure wish the KD5 wasn't so much more expensive and hard to find... or I would have gone that way soI would have some IS in the body... :sad:



Looking forward to more of your posts... :lol:

Bootneck3 Jul 2, 2006 8:20 PM

That gallery has made my day. I went through the lot then called "She who must be obeyed" to view them. No 9 and 24 are my favourites...Fred

bayourebel Jul 3, 2006 9:48 AM

2n viewing of gallery

The FZ-30 gallery by your wife is awesome. Just love the landscape scenes, the ice and snow, the waterfalls and wildlife makes for a wonderful collection to be proud of.

Jerry

HarjTT Jul 3, 2006 11:41 AM

Hi Gene

Some really fabulous shots in the gallery and they show how good the FZ's really are even in simple P&S mode (although I'd never try it myself). The mountain/snow/forest shots are superb - spot on exposure and WB and nice sharp detail unlike my FZ10 which wuold have lost the plot with all that snow and greenery.

Thanks for sharing mate, and Alaska looks like a really awesome place!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O



genece Jul 3, 2006 12:52 PM

Thanks Harjtt

Thats where I always felt the FZ30 really shines,, it is so easy to use....and thats a big plus for me.



HarjTT wrote:
Quote:

Hi Gene

Some really fabulous shots in the gallery and they show how good the FZ's really are even in simple P&S mode (although I'd never try it myself). The mountain/snow/forest shots are superb - spot on exposure and WB and nice sharp detail unlike my FZ10 which wuold have lost the plot with all that snow and greenery.

Thanks for sharing mate, and Alaska looks like a really awesome place!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.