Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Accessorizing The FZ30 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/accessorizing-fz30-81495/)

Twitch1977 Feb 20, 2006 11:39 AM

I've got the camera and it's working great, I'm very happy with it. Now I'm in the processes of ordering a Nikon 4T, and stepping ring, but could use a little advice.

Can anyone recommend me a good carrying case for the FZ30, just a standard shoulder bag (not a fanny pack!) would be great. There are so many out there it's hard to know which case will fit which cameras. The stuff in the local stores here are just awful, so I'd like to order something decent.

Is it worth getting a UV filter if for no other reason than to protect the lens? And if so are all UV filters created equal or is there a particular brand I should be more inclined to purchase over the others?

Any other must haves?

Any advice on this stuff would be great, I can't wait to get that close up lens so I can start trying some macros. :)

And as a side note a big thanks to everyone here for all the posts I've read over the last few weeks, the sample pictures you all post and the advice I have recieved. I would never have been able to decide on this camera without it.

Thanks
T

genece Feb 20, 2006 1:46 PM

I can not help with the case,as a 29" pullman suitcase wold be about the right size for me...

As far as a UV filter I like Hoya multicoated filters about 25 bucks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Perhaps a microfiber cloth for cleaning the lens and filter

A couple batteries from the battery barn

http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas006.htm

An extra card or two and a card reader

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20163152#Combo

I would not buy cards under 66X speed and any 10 dollar or so card reader will be fine........do yourself a big favor and get the reader now before it is needed.

Twitch1977 Feb 20, 2006 4:09 PM

Thanks for the advice about filters! I already have some batteries on the way and I'm good for SD cards and a reader.

Anyone have any experience with lowepro bags? I talked to a couple stores and they both recommended that brand. Anyone know what specific models would fit the FZ30?

T

2grand Feb 20, 2006 6:42 PM

Twitch had some good questions, maybe you can help me too.

I want to buy a panasonic lumix dmc z30. Unfortunately no one in my area sells panasonics. Even if I drive 40 miles to the nearest "big" city will I find one to even look at.

I've been searching the Internet and checking out bundled packages on eBay. What do you think of the packages offered on eBay that come with a bag, filter lens, a bag, card reader, 1G card, tripod, etc. Is it better to buy a bundled package or buy the camera and each accessory when needed and where do you find Internet sites to purchase accessories and who has the best price?

I thought the panasonic z30 came with a battery and charger. So right off the bat if you bought just the camera you would have to buy an extra battery and a larger card.

Although bundled packages seem nice I don't need some of the items -- so why pay for them?

I want to buy the camera, but should I buy it bundled or buy everything separately? I'm totally confused.

roy123 Feb 20, 2006 7:26 PM

@Twitch...i picked up the Lowepro NOVA 3 AW shoulder bag a couple of weeks back and it's working out ok for me...it all has the ability to attach to you waist also, so it's roomy and secure...

@2grand...the old saying of 'you get what you pay for' applies here...personally, i would buy the camera at a reputable shop (i bought at B&H, others at Adorama, BuyDig) and have had no probs as these are established on-line etailers...the reason ebay gives you so much stuff is to impress you (with a bunch of eye candy), actually most (or all) the items are junk that you'll end up replacing with quality gear down the road...

José A. Feb 20, 2006 11:26 PM

About Lowepro... I own a Nova Micro AW which just fits my FZ10+charger (I need to carry it) +extra batt and SD+ one thing or two more.

It is a good model, you can carry it on your shoulder and also attach it to your waist, although personally I'm thinking of getting / adapting a backpack since the shoulder thing sometimes bother you while taking pics.

Good luck.

nyjets011269 Feb 21, 2006 12:05 AM

I just purchased my fz30 on Sunday online from beach camera for 483.00 with free fedex shipping. Beach is very reputable,great reviews and I have used them before. Easy to order online. I got a confirmation e-mail the next day and it was shipped less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Free shipping says 8-10 days but mine is due on Thur,only 3-4 days. Good Luck.

nyjets011269 Feb 21, 2006 12:10 AM

You can get a battery for the fz30 from digital innovations inc. It's on e-bay,I have already bought 2 of them. It's 1000 mah the most powerful I have seen. They are 14.89 and 8.00 shipping.

Lens Flare Mar 6, 2006 1:52 AM

>You can get a battery for the fz30 from digital innovations inc. It's on e-bay,I
>have already bought 2 of them. It's 1000 mah the most powerful I have seen.

I've been looking around for a battery that's a bit cheaper than the (rather expensive) Panasonic originals that you can get locally, I've seen some advertised as 1000mAh, which seems rather high, has anyone actually tried running one of these down from a full charge to see how they compare to the original Panasonic battery? Also, I've heard various complaints in online forums about batteries not quite fitting the camera and/or charger (usually the problem is that they fall out), any complaints about Digital Innovations or Power2000 batteries?

(Incidentally, insert standard grumble here about companies/eBay sellers whose idea of international orders is "We also ship to Canada". Yeah, country *and* western).

digcamfan Mar 6, 2006 8:15 AM

Camera bag suggestion for FZ30:

Lowe Pro Nova 1 - retail about $30 but you can find them on Ebay for $15.

Yes, it is too much bag for "just" the FZ30.

However, I can easily carry FZ30, extra batts (inc dps 9000 and its charger!) & two accessory lenses (Olympus WCON-08 and B300) and do combo run/photo ops jaunts with the Lowe Pro 1.:-)

Bag is also "weather resistant."


Yes, definitely get a UV filter.



Paladin24 Mar 6, 2006 10:11 AM

IMHO, the best bag on the market for the FZ30........at the lowest price!
It has a couple of small compartments for a micro cloth, extra memory and extra battery..........all this for $19.99. ;)

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=200671-410


Twitch1977 wrote:
Quote:


Can anyone recommend me a good carrying case for the FZ30, just a standard shoulder bag (not a fanny pack!) would be great. There are so many out there it's hard to know which case will fit which cameras. The stuff in the local stores here are just awful, so I'd like to order something decent.


Thanks
T


dmargolis Apr 9, 2006 2:28 PM

What about the Panasonic case PS-HFZ30 ? The one made for the FZ30? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Internet.

Magikhat Apr 22, 2006 8:12 PM

How do you hold them? is there a shoulder strap? i dont see one

looks uncomfortable

meanstreak Apr 22, 2006 11:07 PM

Twitch1977 wrote:
Quote:

Is it worth getting a UV filter if for no other reason than to protect the lens? And if so are all UV filters created equal or is there a particular brand I should be more inclined to purchase over the others?

T
Try BandHphoto.com or

http://www.camerafilters.com/

They both have decent prices on the Hoya multicoated filters, but I think camerafilters.com may have the lower price.

meanstreak Apr 22, 2006 11:13 PM

2grand wrote:
Quote:

Twitch had some good questions, maybe you can help me too.

I want to buy a panasonic lumix dmc z30. Unfortunately no one in my area sells panasonics. Even if I drive 40 miles to the nearest "big" city will I find one to even look at.

I've been searching the Internet and checking out bundled packages on eBay. What do you think of the packages offered on eBay that come with a bag, filter lens, a bag, card reader, 1G card, tripod, etc. Is it better to buy a bundled package or buy the camera and each accessory when needed and where do you find Internet sites to purchase accessories and who has the best price?

I thought the panasonic z30 came with a battery and charger. So right off the bat if you bought just the camera you would have to buy an extra battery and a larger card.

Although bundled packages seem nice I don't need some of the items -- so why pay for them?

I want to buy the camera, but should I buy it bundled or buy everything separately? I'm totally confused.
Don't waste your money on those Ebay or even other dealer packages. There may be some exceptions, but most of that package stuff is junk. As someone else pointed out, BeachCamera aka Buydig has a good price and they are reputable. Right now the silver model is485 and the black499.

Magikhat Apr 23, 2006 9:05 AM



so beach and buydig are both teh same company?
I thought they were since they both are located in Edison , NJ


I was just looking at circuitcity.com
they want 650$ for the fz30

when you can buy it online for 485$

meanstreak Apr 23, 2006 1:49 PM

Magikhat wrote:
Quote:


so beach and buydig are both teh same company?
I thought they were since they both are located in Edison , NJ


I was just looking at circuitcity.com
they want 650$ for the fz30

when you can buy it online for 485$
Yup... same company. Not only are they both in Edison, NJ, but they share the same street address. Their email response systems and other things are the same. Beach is their store front operation, but they also operate on the internent. Buydig is internet only. If you look at resellerratings.com you will see them listed BeachCamera/BeachTrading and Buydig/BeachTrading. They usually have the same price, but sometimes I've noticed Buydig is a few bucks cheaper.

Actually Circuit City is 615right now plus they had a 10% off coupon deal going but that still makes them higher. There are plenty of other dealers selling much cheaper than C.C. They did have the best price on the Panasonic TZ1 a couple of days ago, especially withthe 10 % off coupon. With CC, you have to catch just right to get a good deal

Donte Apr 24, 2006 3:17 PM


I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200. A really good camera bag and I highly recommend it.

Magikhat Apr 26, 2006 6:59 AM

My FZ30 Arrives today via fedex

But my SD card doesnt arrive until Monday, should be intresting
to see how many pictures the standard 32mb of space can hold!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:04 AM.