Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Auto Exposure Bracketing (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/auto-exposure-bracketing-183875/)

Forzahibs Feb 6, 2011 4:15 PM

Auto Exposure Bracketing
 
To do Hdr pics , is it possible to make the FZ38 take the pics automatically rather than physically have to take each pic then adjust ?
Not explained very well , hope someone understands

BackyardPermaculture Feb 7, 2011 1:25 AM

Yes, it is. Press the +/- button to select the EV. Press +/- a second time and you can set the bracketing. I believe it has a range of +/- 3 EV (at least the FZ40 does) and it takes a set of 3 bracketed exposures.

BTW, press +/- a third time and you can adjust flash strength.

geoper2 Feb 7, 2011 8:49 AM

There was a technique that allowed you to take 9 or 6 photos with the fz35 with changing the bracket but i cant find it right now, if anyone remembers please let us know.

MartinSykes Feb 7, 2011 9:01 AM

It's only +-1 bracketing on the fz38 and +-2 manual which combined gives you +-3. I manually set it to -2 and do a +-1 bracket set giving me -3,-2,-1 then I do +1ev and do a +-1 bracket set to give me 0,1,2 and then combine the six. You could get an extra seventh +3 exposure at the top but I don't think it's worth it. Six is enough. If you want more than 3 you'll have to make sure you keep the camera pretty steady while you change the settings for the extras.

Alternatively if you do need more range, try S mode with ISO fixed at 80 and take exposures from 1/2000s to 8s depending on the scene

Forzahibs Feb 7, 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture (Post 1198054)
Yes, it is. Press the +/- button to select the EV. Press +/- a second time and you can set the bracketing. I believe it has a range of +/- 3 EV (at least the FZ40 does) and it takes a set of 3 bracketed exposures.

BTW, press +/- a third time and you can adjust flash strength.

Yes i can see what you mean there , so how would i go about an Hdr pic (in laymans terms)

Forzahibs Feb 7, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSykes (Post 1198119)
It's only +-1 bracketing on the fz38 and +-2 manual which combined gives you +-3. I manually set it to -2 and do a +-1 bracket set giving me -3,-2,-1 then I do +1ev and do a +-1 bracket set to give me 0,1,2 and then combine the six. You could get an extra seventh +3 exposure at the top but I don't think it's worth it. Six is enough. If you want more than 3 you'll have to make sure you keep the camera pretty steady while you change the settings for the extras.

Alternatively if you do need more range, try S mode with ISO fixed at 80 and take exposures from 1/2000s to 8s depending on the scene

Martin , when you have time could you walk me through that technique please (an Fz38 hdr for dummies if you like)

Appreciate the replies folks

MartinSykes Feb 7, 2011 11:17 AM

Sure -

1/ In P-Mode, press the +/- button twice to get to the auto bracket function
2/ Press the right button three times (the one with the flash symbol on it) - the -1,0,+1 will each have a yellow square under it.
3/ Press the menu button to set it
4/ press the +/- button once to get to the exposure compensation. press the left button until the -2 has the yellow square under it, then press the menu button to set it.
5/ Take the first set of three pictures. It will take the -2 first, then the -3 and then the -1
6/ press the +/- once and press the right button until the +1 has the yellow square under it. press the menu button to set it.
7/ take the next 3 shots. It will take a +1,0,+2.
8/ You now have 6 exposures - -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2 which you can combine in the software of your choice.

Or the alternative option is to use S-Mode:

1/ Set it to S-mode, go into the menu and fix the ISO at 80.
2/ Set the shutter speed to 1/2000s and take the first shot
3/ Set the shutter speed to 1/1000s and take the next shot
4/ Repeat at 1/500,1/250 etc. Repeatedly doubling the shutter speed until it's so slow that the whole scene is over-exposed or you get to the limit of 8s. You could go up to 60s in manual mode I guess if you were doing night-time HDR.
5/ As before, combine the exposures in your software of choice.

Forzahibs Feb 7, 2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSykes (Post 1198148)
Sure -

1/ In P-Mode, press the +/- button twice to get to the auto bracket function
2/ Press the right button three times (the one with the flash symbol on it) - the -1,0,+1 will each have a yellow square under it.
3/ Press the menu button to set it
4/ press the +/- button once to get to the exposure compensation. press the left button until the -2 has the yellow square under it, then press the menu button to set it.
5/ Take the first set of three pictures. It will take the -2 first, then the -3 and then the -1
6/ press the +/- once and press the right button until the +1 has the yellow square under it. press the menu button to set it.
7/ take the next 3 shots. It will take a +1,0,+2.
8/ You now have 6 exposures - -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2 which you can combine in the software of your choice.

Or the alternative option is to use S-Mode:

1/ Set it to S-mode, go into the menu and fix the ISO at 80.
2/ Set the shutter speed to 1/2000s and take the first shot
3/ Set the shutter speed to 1/1000s and take the next shot
4/ Repeat at 1/500,1/250 etc. Repeatedly doubling the shutter speed until it's so slow that the whole scene is over-exposed or you get to the limit of 8s. You could go up to 60s in manual mode I guess if you were doing night-time HDR.
5/ As before, combine the exposures in your software of choice.

Ah ok , so my camera can only take 3 shots so you basically set it up twice to get the 6 different exposures ?
Martin thanks very much for that i appreciate it . As soon as i get a half decent result I'll post it up

geoper2 Feb 8, 2011 11:43 AM

Thanks for the reminder Martin i took one but with 3 exposures some days ago i will try with 6 now that is clear how to make it too and see what happens thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:51 AM.