Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Five new photos-FZ38 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/five-new-photos-fz38-199084/)

eysha May 25, 2012 3:14 PM

Five new photos-FZ38

4 Attachment(s)
The sun has been shining here lately so i went out yesterday and spent the day by the river.
Comments and tips to improve welcome.

saly May 25, 2012 4:03 PM

I like the white cat the most. You did a really good job of photographing a white subject, not easy. He look great against the green and the composition is also very nice with the lake behind it. I also like #1, the composition with the blue sky in the background is nice.

Ozzie_Traveller May 25, 2012 4:18 PM

G"day Eysha

Thanks for sharing these pix with us

cc- if I may...
camera-wise first > I notice from the EXIF info that the camera is choosing f4 at ISO's of 80 or 100.
While this is okay in many circumstances, I ponder here whether "if" by choosing an ISO of 400 [ie 2-EV stops above 100], the camera would be able to go from f4 thru f5,6 to f8 and thus give you a better / sharper image??

If you like this thought, maybe set the camera to "Auto-ISO to 400" and see what happens ~ sometimes the camera will go up a shutter speed, sometimes it will go up an aperture, sometimes both...

cc- for your images
#1 - I like the 'sort-of-triangular' relationship of the flowers, tho I can't really see any of them clearly. Any close ups??

#2 getting down low to the duck's eye level was good ~ when I'm shooting animals I also pop the flash to put a tiny sparkle into the dark eye & if the animal is dark, the flash lights up the fur / feathers a tiny bit too

#3 & #4 - with white subjects it is all too easy for the camera's metering system to get it "not quite perfect" ~ where the darker background causes the lightness of the subject to become a tad over-cooked. I often click 'on' the AEB bracketing of +/- 2/3EV and shoot 3 pix and keep the best of the 3. It is the main subject I want to be 'perfect' - so if the background is a bit dark, it does not bother me
[NB- the AEB is set via the +/- button at the top of the OK group ... I set AEB to 2/3EV (2-dots on the row of dots) > tho don't forget to zero it later on when you don't need it any more]

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

maryintexas39 May 25, 2012 11:25 PM

love the cat photo!!! just great all around.

catalex54 May 25, 2012 11:29 PM

Good work Eysha, but the cat is wonderful!!

jjdog2 May 26, 2012 10:44 AM

I think you did great Eysha! Just keep taking shots and trying different things. :)

jj

eysha May 26, 2012 3:24 PM

Very many thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. They are all so appreciated.
Phil i always make a note of all your comments in my little photographic notebook so yes, your comments do help and i am grateful for them. I will try them out, promise.Thank you.