Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   FZ15 vs FZ20 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/fz15-vs-fz20-55197/)

lokosofia May 10, 2005 9:36 PM

Hello,

I am having hard times to findenough reviews of FZ15. I really miss the tests on dpreview, so I decided to ask the people who actually own this camera.

FZ15 is more than 100$ cheaper than FZ20, and, according to what I've seen so far, the only advatages of FZ20 are 5 vs 4 MP, hotshoe, and movie sound. Whereas I dont really care about the MP and the sounds, Iregret the hotshoe feature.

I wonder ifthe hotshoe's worth it the 100 $ ???

I aslo read that the FZ15 is available only in US. Isthat true? Does it mean, that if the camera brakes in Europe, nobody will be able to fix it there?

Is there anyhting else to be considered? Please help me making upmy mind.

Thanks.

squirl033 May 10, 2005 11:16 PM

is the hotshoe worth $100? only you can answer that. but consider... if you DON'T get it, you may wish you had. if it were me, i'd spend the cash now, to ensure that i had the capability later in the event i needed it, or wanted to do more than the onboard flash would allow... like bounce flash work, for example. this isn't a short-term decision... you'll probably have the camera for years. may as well get what you really want, and then some, so you can grow into, instead of out of, the camera's capabilities.

consider an FZ10, maybe? has all the FZ20's main features, but is 4MP instead of 5 (like the FZ15), and is also substantially cheaper...

lokosofia May 10, 2005 11:32 PM

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

consider an FZ10, maybe? has all the FZ20's main features, but is 4MP instead of 5 (like the FZ15), and is also substantially cheaper...

Cheaper? I couldn't find it online for less than 500$. Am I missing something?

http://www.dealtime.com/xFS?FN=Digit...10&FD=7185

gordy May 10, 2005 11:54 PM

I chose the 15 ;I don't do any prints larger than 8x10 and you can use a slave flash on any camera.I don't like flash setting atop camera anyway and have flash bracket from my slr

squirl033 May 10, 2005 11:59 PM

either the fz20 has come down a lot, or the fz10 now costs more! when i got my fz20, the difference was $80-100! if the fz10 costs as much as the '20, i'd go for the '15 - thosecan still be had for well under $400, i believe...

ukwoody May 11, 2005 3:56 AM

lokosofia wrote:
Quote:

I aslo read that the FZ15 is available only in US. Isthat true? Does it mean, that if the camera brakes in Europe, nobody will be able to fix it there?


It Is an American release only, so it would be a "grey" import into Europe. It would depend on the actuall wording of the warrenty and where you actually bought the camera, but yes you could run into problems, even though the warranty is supposedly world wide. Their argument is that the camera "was not designated for that market" therefore they cannot be held responsible for it.

I *think* though that if you in person say went to America can provide proof of puirchase etc etc then you may be covered... 'corse then there's the aspect of Import duty:angry:



Woody

AevnsGrandpa1 May 11, 2005 12:58 PM

I have ordered my FZ 15 and it is due in This Friday.

Don't know where they are looking for pricing in DealTime, but I got mine through ButterflyPhoto in New York for $355. That was over $100 less than the FZ 20.

I did weigh the options and I didn't buy the camera to do videos on and 4 MP is fine for me, been using a 3 MP for 2 years now. As far as the hot shoe.....well, I have not used an external flash since I had my Canon AE1 so I figured I could continue to not use it.....

Can't wait for it to come in and start trying to do some fo the wonderful pictures I see on this webboard!!!!

Jeff :|

DynamoHum May 11, 2005 1:35 PM

You will want an external flash on the FZ10/15/20. A slave will work just as well as the hotshoe since the FZ does not communicate settings with the flash. The FZ is not a good flash camera with the aboard flash alone.

Here's aFZ10 that went on ebay for $251 a few days ago just show what you might be able to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

beernutz May 11, 2005 9:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lokosofia wrote:
Quote:

Hello,

I am having hard times to findenough reviews of FZ15. I really miss the tests on dpreview, so I decided to ask the people who actually own this camera.

FZ15 is more than 100$ cheaper than FZ20, and, according to what I've seen so far, the only advatages of FZ20 are 5 vs 4 MP, hotshoe, and movie sound. Whereas I dont really care about the MP and the sounds, Iregret the hotshoe feature.

I wonder ifthe hotshoe's worth it the 100 $ ???

I aslo read that the FZ15 is available only in US. Isthat true? Does it mean, that if the camera brakes in Europe, nobody will be able to fix it there?

Is there anyhting else to be considered? Please help me making upmy mind.

Thanks.

The 20 also has a remote control port. Personally I'm glad I got 20 with the flash hotshoe because I use it a lot and to me it was by far the most important difference.



DynamoHum May 11, 2005 10:28 PM

Was this photo taken with an external flash? I ask because the WB is so green.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:58 AM.