Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Got my FZ35! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/got-my-fz35-178276/)

kaaryn Oct 9, 2010 1:26 AM

Got my FZ35!

1 Attachment(s)
Sure enough, Express Post came through for me :)

I haven't had nearly as much time today as I would have liked to play with it, but I've been tinkering a little bit.

First impression was, "Wow, this thing is light, is there anything to it???" It's also smaller than I envisioned it. Which is not altogether bad, just a surprise. I think I messed up my perspective a little, playing with Canons and Nikons. LOL

My initial play time was during my girls' playgroup this morning. I was only using internal memory, since I didn't have a memory card with me when I picked it up. Rather disappointing, that - it only holds about four pictures. So I'm not sure why they bothered putting any in. But all I was doing was trying out settings and zoom so I just snapped and deleted. Thankfully though I knew right where to put my hands on my card when I got home! :)

I'm loving all the scene settings, they will be fun to try out. I'll work my way through the easy things first then dig into the manual to actually learn how to use it. :)

18X zoom... not as dramatically huge as one might think, but still enough to get some nice shots unnoticed. I could get a clear closeup of the kids from across the yard, and read nametags from across the room at playgroup, so it's definitely a nice, clear zoom.

The EVF is going to take some getting used to, as compared to an optical viewfinder. Neat technology, though.

I like the quick access to things from the various buttons and being able to customize settings... just from a "oh, cool!" perspective, I think it's very neat that you can set up two kids and a pet in the camera to stamp the pictures with their name and exact age (to the day)!!

And it sure does a nice closeup.... :)

The bag I got is really kind of too big so I'm debating whether to keep it or not... it's got room for two cameras this size in it. But since it has a horizontal divider in it, I can use the bottom half of the bag to store the lens hood and stuff, or a smaller second camera even, so it may yet work out. (As long as I can keep myself away from that etsy shop.)

Jyaku Oct 9, 2010 1:33 AM

Congrats! Very nice pic too.

Hawgwild Oct 9, 2010 1:35 AM

Congrats on the new camera. Judging from the picture you posted, I think your learning curve will be short.

idenny Oct 9, 2010 3:35 AM

so how much did you pay?

Clint501 Oct 9, 2010 8:07 AM

Nice picture - keep the over sized bag. I ended up getting a "backpack" camera carrier because I wanted to put so many extra items in it.

Roooby Oct 9, 2010 10:17 AM

Congratulations, kaaryn! Enjoy your camera!

And *what* a beautiful shot of that lovely young lady.
What's your EXIF on that, if I may ask? :)

mtclimber Oct 9, 2010 10:53 AM

Wow! That was quick, Kaaryn-

I am delighted to hear that the FZ-35 has arrived and that you are having fun with it. Yes, there is indeed a learning curve, but this is a very user friendly camera and it already looks that you are doing well with your new camera.

Sarah Joyce

kaaryn Oct 9, 2010 11:30 AM

Thanks, all... I'm planning to have a good bit of fun :)

Roooby: I just had it set on automatic but it boils down to this...

Focal Length 22mm
F-Number F/4.6
Exposure Time 1/320 sec
ISO 640
Metering Mode: Pattern
Light Source: Shutter Priority
Exposure Compensation: 0
No Flash

idenny: I got it $369.95 Canadian from McBain Camera in Edmonton, AB ... they have a few left but not many.

Mystery123 Oct 9, 2010 11:49 AM

That is a pretty high ISO but good picture.

Forzahibs Oct 9, 2010 3:40 PM

Super pic , what beautiful eyes that little girl has