Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Long Time (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/long-time-194942/)

eysha Dec 30, 2011 1:48 PM

Long Time

3 Attachment(s)
I took these today but any and all advice to improve would be very welcome.
I tend to stay in auto as i can never remember what to do in other programmes - poor memory.

jjdog2 Dec 30, 2011 3:46 PM

Hi Eysha hope all is well with you. These shot look good to me. Nice color and good composition in the shots. Do you do any PP on your shots?

jj

Raghu Dec 30, 2011 8:31 PM

Hi Eysha,

Absolutely no problem in using the auto (I suppose you mean the P or Program mode). There have been adverse reports about the iA setting though I think it also works fine.

Since you have asked for suggestions, I would like to offer these (very general) suggestions:
1. For close-ups like these, the spot focus works very well.
2. Try using auto bracket (three shots of different exposure value) and choose the one you like.
3. Don't use flash for flowers - the whites will get overexposed beyond repair. Instead, adjust EV. (no need to move out of P mode). If you have to, then keep some distance.
4. Get to know the use of auto-focus (buttons just below the shutter). A sharp image is always better.
5. Pay some attention to composition, at least to remove elements of distraction from the frame.
6. Practice makes perfect. Getting more pictures doesn't cost you anything. Keep trying all - cose-ups, scenery, people, action shots, everything you get to see - until you are comfortable with the results. Once you feel you have achieved some level of expertise in handling the camera, explore other modes one by one.
7. Keep posting. For us to learn, it is important to know what mistakes we do and avoid them. Listen for feedback. Take the positive ones. Forget the negative ones, unless there is a point there.
Thanks to advanced technology, modern digicams are so user friendly and fun to use. Keep exploring. All the best!
Raghu

saly Dec 30, 2011 10:32 PM

Eysha, welcome back. I think your shot #2 is very nice. Well composed, pleasing image of a simple, pretty flower.

BackyardPermaculture Dec 31, 2011 6:16 AM

I like number two as well - very nice, and good isolation of the subject from the background.

eysha Dec 31, 2011 10:13 AM

Many thanks for the feedback, i appreciate it.
JJdog2, i used levels only but i need to learn more about that too. Levels darkened them a bit.
Raghu, i used IA, auto mode not P. What is the problem with IAuto? I will make a note f all your suggestions and give them all a try. Should i only use P mode and if so why? I never use the flash, haven't so far anyway. What does the auto fucus do, not used that either.
Thanks Saly and Backyard, I liked #2 also and might even paint that one,lol.
So much o learn and even more to try to remember but one day... lol.
E

NileLily Dec 31, 2011 1:53 PM

Nice Collection Eysha.
Thank you Raghu for the Close-up tips.

eysha Dec 31, 2011 6:42 PM

Thanks Nile Lilly, nice to meet you.

Square one Jan 1, 2012 3:00 PM

Hi Eysha

Good captures.

Auto focus is the action the camera takes when you push the shutter release button before it's pushed down fully, it allows you to see what's in focus and how unfocused the background / foreground is.

eysha Jan 1, 2012 3:11 PM

Thanks Square, i was meaning the little button beside the shutter button. still not got to grips with those button, the focus and the af/af/mf button.