Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   My first post with my new ZS3 - night shots (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/my-first-post-my-new-zs3-night-shots-171196/)

chillgreg May 21, 2010 8:28 AM

My first post with my new ZS3 - night shots

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

These are nothing special - I went for a walk to the servo the other night to get some milk, and made sure my new ZS3 was in my pocket.

I took these handheld, resized to 1024x768 before upload. No PP or cropping.

Cheers
Greg

chillgreg May 21, 2010 8:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
2nd set

LTZ470 May 21, 2010 10:03 PM

Wow not bad at all Greg...very surprising on the IQ!...Well done...I npoticed taking a flash shot with the ZS7 if I tilt the camera up just slightly when the flash looks too weak it then gives me a much better flash coverage and a better photo...

chillgreg May 22, 2010 12:22 AM

Thanks LT. I should have mentioned that none of those are crops, the large ones are at full zoom. 12x.

The last two are ISO 400 with flash, and ISO 1600 no flash.

The 2 before that are ISO 400 metered flash, and EV+2 flash.

All the ones from the 1st set are no flash ISO 400.

All photos on normal mode at Natural setting. The natural setting seems to have a higher level of noise reduction built-in.

I took some out door shots today, will post them later.

Greg :-)

skylark May 22, 2010 12:24 AM

Thanks for sharing your nice night photos. Was Set-2, photo-3 shot using a slave flash to make it brighter? Good job on that!

Skylark

chillgreg May 22, 2010 12:43 AM

Thank you - no I was surprised by that myself. I just used +2 EV comp and that was the result!. Edit: I might have used slow sync flash on that second one - I'll check the EXIF on the originals and report back.

Bearing in mind that the last 2 shots are an unlit billboard - so it was too dark to even see the lettering with the naked eye. I was about 2-3 metres in front of the billboard on full zoom!

shoturtle May 22, 2010 3:19 AM

1/4 of a sec handheld very steady hand.

chillgreg May 22, 2010 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1097654)
1/4 of a sec handheld very steady hand.

Thank you. I cheated a bit - I knew with OIS mode 2 there is a maybe 1 in 3 chance of a reasonably sharp shot if I keep it at 1/4 sec or above, and that was how it turned out. I used burst mode in the non-flash shots and picked out the best.

chillgreg May 22, 2010 4:14 AM

It's funny that some have the EXIF and others don't???...

shoturtle May 22, 2010 4:21 AM

It is a very tough shooting at that slow of a shutter speed for hand held. But burst can work at times. But when I shoot at 1/4 to 1/3sec, I really relax myself and exhale when I press the shutter. Pretty much the same thing I did when use to shoot my side arm. It does help that you had IS. When I do it with a fast prime. It is all keeping relax to avoid the camera shake at that low of a shutter speed.