Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Pigeon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/pigeon-195397/)

eysha Jan 15, 2012 9:01 AM

Pigeon

3 Attachment(s)
Took these today too and again not happy, how can i improve? Took these with the long lens but i am not getting clear and crisp photos so very unhappy. Is there a better lens to get?
I am guessing the distance to be around 50 feet hubby reckons

Raghu Jan 15, 2012 9:41 AM

Positive first. Eyesha, the tree picture is very beautiful. I will never get to see such scenes in my country.
Now for the bird, at 50 feet you don't need an extra (tele) lens. All you need is a little more practice. Keep the dial in Auto or P mode, try using the spot focus. The camera will manage the rest.
Next, how are you viewing the screen? Because I cannot see at short distance and I forget glasses all the time, I prefer to view through the EVF, which has a diopter adjustment. It may sound silly, but I feel this is a very important point to note, to avoid the frustration of getting results that are not up to your expectation.
Further ahead will be using the manual focus, but I think you can take it a little later.
Raghu

eysha Jan 15, 2012 9:47 AM

Thanks Raghu, if i recal correctly i used the sports setting for these photos, i somehow like that setting. I did use spot focus and i even tried manuel focus too but i did use the LCD.
There is everything in your country that i will not see either and i understand your area is beautiful.

saly Jan 15, 2012 4:43 PM

eysha - these bird shots are very difficult ones. First, I always use a tripod when using the LT-55, very difficult to hold the camera still when zooming that far. Secondly, it is very hard to focus on a bird among lots of branches and leaves. Camera can easily pick up a neighboring branch and focus on it. If you can, try to find a subject that is sitting out in the open.

eysha Jan 15, 2012 5:50 PM

I agree Saly but i decided to go play with the camera in the hopes of improving, i didn't improve but i have learnt soemthing again so i hope it sticks in my old brain.
I never remember that the long lens is the LC55 either, you probably noticed,lol.
Will try something tomorrow again if i can. Thanks Saly.

Ozzie_Traveller Jan 16, 2012 2:43 PM

G'day eyesha

Your images look like [too many of] mine > nice bird/subject but "lost" in surroundings etc etc. I plead 'guilty' to trying the impossible, and all too often. I whiz the zoom up to 20x or more, and wander around going 'click' ... 'click' and not being very pleased with the results.

I forget that a telescope is often 20x magnification, but it lives on a tripod, but here I am walking around holding the damn camera > doesn't work real well for me.

I would suggest [as others above] that you contemplate a few small changes ...
> I have a monopod for helping to minimise camera shake at 20x and above and it's easy to carry around
> I try to 'stalk' the subject to try to get that-bit-closer and thus get a closer image with less zoom
> "P" mode is often good for easy-to-shoot subjects, but animals & birds on the move, I go to "S" mode and pre-set 1/500 speed. To get 1/500 or 1/1000 I may also need to uplift the ISO a bit as well: depends on the amount of light available

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

eysha Jan 16, 2012 2:52 PM

Thanks, every bit of advice helps - i will write that down, lol.
E.