Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 79

I wanted to get some opinions/advice about the autofocus modes on the FZ20. Any comments appreciated. I really haven't found the time to start exploring this hobby as much as I want. I Love my new digicam, but I rarely get time on weekends to do anything with it. Plus I haven't really found a spare $2-300 bucks of late to buy the add-ons (filters, adapters, telelens, hoods, extra mem, etc)I know I will need and want to have.

So, most of my fun has been limited to indoor candids (birthdays, holidays, weddings, etc.) I would say that about 80% of the time, my shots are properly focused. The other 20 % I attribute to user error. I am constantly playing with settings and making adjustments. Sometimes it helps, other times I ruin the shot completely. I mostly just stay in P mode. But I find that I never really know which autofocus mode to use in certain situation to give the best results. In low light situations I find the center weighted, or spot setting to get me better results. But other times it's hit or miss. Example - This past weekend I was set to spot autofocus (because I had shot something from across the kitchen on the other side of the house at full tele) I then had a great opportunity to catch a shot of a friend of mine hold his 6 month old daughter up to his face, like he was about to give her a little kiss on her forehead. It would have been a great shot, only he and his daughter were blurry. What was in perfect focus was a pillow on the sofa behind them, that was visible only through the 3 inch gap that seperated the two of them at the time. I'm pretty sure I should have used the 3 point mode in this situation, but I have heard on this forum before to keep the FZ20 set to center or spot. Thoughts? Are there time I should consider the 9 point mode?

Another time I was using the center weighted mode to shoot very distant scenery from a hilltop (the time I got so far to go out and play). The distant scenery was soft, but I gotsome REALLY sharp branches from the very top of a tree in the foreground. I didn't even see the branches when I composed the shot. Any advice welcome from the more seasoned photographers!!!

atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
Stoney79's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 314

Always use the spot mode andpoint at the object you want to have focused. That should work, if the object is in focus range and there's enough light. The AF-assist lamp will help in lowlight situations, but its range is only 1.5 meters.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:33 PM.