Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:34 PM   #21

I've been looking seriously at the Pentax K10d. It looks very good, can't find a bad review. To many iffy things with the lumix IMO. But I sure like the retro part of it. How do you like yours?
Graphico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:41 PM   #22

"I just bought a US-version L1 at Broadway Photo for $1399. The sales rep didn't push accessories on me, the camera was in stock and delivered overnight, and I have no complaints."

With only one post to your credit and with the sleazy reputation Broadway Photo has, your endorsement of them is going to be met with skepticism, rightfully or not. Of course, their inventory of L1's may be gathering dust on the shelves, and theycould simply be doing what is necessary to get them out the door.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:36 PM   #23

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
With only one post to your credit and with the sleazy reputation Broadway Photo has, your endorsement of them is going to be met with skepticism, rightfully or not. Of course, their inventory of L1's may be gathering dust on the shelves, and theycould simply be doing what is necessary to get them out the door.
Well I recently bought one from Broadway when the price went down to $1200 - I just wanted to get the Leica lens for my Oly E-500 and B&W hadn't started selling it separately like they are now. Broadway spent some time with me because I had somewhat unusual shipping requirements, and I'm happy with their service.

I've been using the NY mail-order houses since long before the internet. So unless you've been doing that way longer than I have (i.e. you're more than 58 years old) don't even think about flaming me on this post.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:21 AM   #24

Seriously, at this price isn't the camera a bargain?

From the VLux to this it seems almost too good.
What is the lens worth? I do think the retro look and feel is nice

Wait for remarks....... :P
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:57 PM   #25

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
What is the lens worth?
It has just recently turned up for sale separately.B&H is selling it for $950 USD, which is presumably the retail price. This is a fact of interest to folks who own Olympus 4/3-system digicams.

Ted
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:17 PM   #26

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
What is the lens worth?
It has just recently turned up for sale separately.B&H is selling it for $950 USD, which is presumably the retail price. This is a fact of interest to folks who own Olympus 4/3-system digicams.

Ted
I should add that the lens gotoutstanding ratings in a review by Popular Photography magazine:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...mm-f28-35.html

However, you should peruse the PopPhoto reviews for their review of the L1 camera body - they were less enthusiastic about the L1 body than the lens. [Note that this comment is coming from someone who really likes Olympus DSLR cameras, for many reasons, but also loves that Leica lens - I have one that I use on an Oly DSLR and it is superb.]

Ted
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:06 PM   #27

How do you like it so far?
Is the learning curve steep?
Seems to be a bargain deal for a classic looking camera
Since I already have a Lumix, it is an easier decision. I don't buy into a lot of hype or get too distracted by fanboys.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:34 PM   #28

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
How do you like it so far?
Is the learning curve steep?
Hi, Tom

Assuming your message is addressed to me, I haven't used the L1 camera body itself. I originally purchased the L1 kit to get the Leica lens (before it became available separately), figuring that I could use the L1 body as a backup to my Oly E-500. But I have decided not to use the L1 for that purpose,for several reasons:

1. The L1 menu system is just different than the Oly menu system.Much of the work I do requires me to react quickly in re-setting the camera's settings and my poor brain would just explode trying to learn two different menu systems. Not that the Panasonic menu system is bad, just that it's different, and I'm used to the Oly menus.

2. Oly DSLRs allow you to default the camera's Contrast to a lower setting. This is important to me in bright daylight photography (it is a complete mystery to me why the other major SLR manufacturers haven't figured this out yet). As far as I can tell the L1 menu system also allows this but I haven't pursued this in depth because:

3. Right after I bought the L1, Oly announced the Oly E-510 which has Image Stabilization in the camera body and probably has improved imaging at high ISOs.

Soooo, my plan is to get the Oly E-510 body,use my Oly E-500 as a backup body, and sell the L1 body. The Leica/Panasonic lens on the L1 is superb and I plan to use it as my working lens on either Oly body (although I will need to turn the Leica's IS off when I use it on the Oly E-510 body).

Unfortunately, none of the above really helps you make a decision about the L1 body itself (but do go after that lens), but if it would help I can sell you the L1 body at a very good price, totally unused and in the box <grin>.

Also, if you want to understand the L1 menu system, I recommend thatyou download the L1 users manual from the Panasonic web site.

Ted
Old May 1, 2007, 6:25 PM   #29

Well, Ted, it may be something I will entertain. I think if they come out with a L2 it may have the new zoom lens. What is your price for the new body....
Old May 4, 2007, 5:21 AM   #30

"So unless you've been doing that way longer than I have (i.e. you're more than 58 years old) don't even think about flaming me on this post."

I haven't flamed anyone. As meanstreak pointed out, Broadway Photo has been rated very poorly on resellerratings.com by people who have dealt with the company. I simply made the logical assertion that bradbunnin's only post to this board, whichis an endorsement of Broadway Photo, is going to be met with skepticism. I DID indicate that reaction might be wrong, also.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote