Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 4, 2007, 11:12 AM   #31

Lucky.. I agree. The ratings on these joints is manipulated, just like eBay's can be. "Darn" ( PC talk ) to Google and all the other shopping sites that sell a preferred placement
Broadway and Best Price are known through out the forum world as being a little hard sell and possibly grey market sellers.
Heck, just because someone say's they are over 50 and have all this wisdom , should not be flamed is an indication of unclear thinking. Make your points as you do and let others worry

We all need to check out claims - I am glad you did.
I am a real estate broker (32 years ) and one thing I have done in the past few years is check on license status when I encounter other agents I do not know. 25% are not licensed... even though the fine is $10K and 6 months in jail. Fraud and trickery is found in all places and anyone who complains or suggests they deserve automatic respect is suspect to me.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 10:44 PM   #32

Now is the time to buy the L1, At $1027 this is about the cost of the lens
Even Amazon has it at this low price. Gosh.. I wonder if the L1 is going to be a one version camera now.
Old May 6, 2007, 6:53 AM   #33

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the L1 is going to be a one version camera now.
Hi, Tom

If you mean they won't make future DSLRs, it doesn't seem likely that Panasonic plans to stop. Over on the Olympus DSLR forum here, there is a lot of discussion about the 4/3 Leica lenses, and you may not have seen the PanaLeica Roadmap (attached).

It seems unlikely to me that they would be planning future lenses if Panasonic was planning to get out of the DSLR business. What does seem odd to me is that many of those future lenses are planned to have the in-lens image stabilization. In-body IS would appear to make more sense, and presumably would also reduce the price of the lenses.

Ted

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 8:07 AM   #34

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't flamed anyone. As meanstreak pointed out, Broadway Photo has been rated very poorly on resellerratings.com by people who have dealt with the company.
Sorry if I mis-interpreted your comment. I do want to point out that even the good mail-order houses are not immune from shady deals. Some years ago I ordered an Oly E-20N from B&H and they sent me an E-20P. (The N means that the video output is NTSC and the P is PAL.) Since I had no intention of ever using the video output I didn't pay attention to that and used the camera for a whilebefore I noticed it. I decided not to make an issue of it with B&H because it didn't affect anything except the potential resale value in the US, and I figured that with the rapid drop in resale value of most amateur digital cameras it didn't really matter. (I still have it - to this day it is a remarkable camera except that the 5MP sensor doesn't allow much headroomfor cropping a photo.) You can bet that I have checked orders from B&H a lot more carefully since then <grin>.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 4:01 PM   #35

Sounds great as I see a new prime lens as well. BTW, B&H place is a fine respected store, it's the Broadway and Best Price that got the issue going over web stores that pressure and don't always deliver. I just got my B&H catalog, they send it free, and it is a fun read with a rum and coke. Everything under the sun for a photographer or anyne with an intrest

I went to Sammy's in Costa Mesa twice looking for info and availability of Lieca lens and Oly.. seems they don't stock the Lieca lens and seem not to care.
The first time I went in I got some lip from a salesman about my Lumix FZ20 so it is something we see even in B&M stores I guess.
I just ignore that. I am not a fan of any particular brand, but have found the Panasonic line of cameras have fit my abilities and needs pretty well. After three years with the FZ20 I still enjoy playing around with it.