Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1

I am not spamming. I was just searching through the cameras at costco.com and found the panasonic L1 dSLR for $1700 which is pretty cheap considering that everyone else sells it for $2000. I thought that I would share this to anyone intrested in buying the camera for $300 cheaper then retail. Well you have to pay for $20 on shipping.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11170223&whse=BC&Ne=40 00000&N=4001459&Mo=30&pos=2&No=0&a mp;Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=83&Ns=P_Price|1 ||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2

I'm waiting on some reviews to see the extent of the buffering issue everyone's howling about, and if it gets addressed by Panasonic. Otherwise, I could possibly see this camera in my future, especially since I already have a full set of 4/3rd's glass that will work just fine with it, including a 14-54 Olympus Zuiko. I wonder what I could get selling the Leica lens separately? I bet the net cost for the body could wind up being pretty cheap!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:23 AM   #3

And I will agree with waiting to see if the buffer issue has been addressed.

If this issue isn't resolved then, as I said a few weeks ago, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see an L1 body on sale by Christmas. Hopefully that buffer problem will be addressed by Panasonic though.

I mean I've tip-toed back and forth between the 30D and the L1 so often I'm losing my direction. I was sold on the L1 until a Luminous review. I still like the looks of the darn thing however.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:38 AM   #4

Hi Guys

From what I've already seen elsewehere on the net and in print, it looks like the L1 has been put on hold for the Europe/North America so whether costco actually have any in stock (apart from grey import) I'm not sure. The expected release date was end of August and where basically into October now and still no sign of it. I think Panasonic may have realised that they need to resolve some of the very few issues before the L1's image is tarnished. I made the right move by getting the E1+14-54 for now but will still seriously look into the L1 and like Greg if the Leica D comes up for sale on its onw I'll be getting one for the E1.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:02 PM   #5

So it seems the L1 has been put on hold.? If they want it to be a winner, even though only produced in small numbers then they had better see to it.

Something has to be going on. Who holds back a release of an anticipated camera if a button here or there is unsatisfactory to some potential buyers. No, it must be something to do with the performance of the camera. If so, then it is a very wise decision by Panasonic.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:14 PM   #6

See this site. Looks like a firmware fix was implemented today for the RAW buffering issue, although it doesn't say what size the buffer is after the installation of the firmware upgrade:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/L1K/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:13 PM   #7

I have to say that I handled the camera at my local Frys, and in the few moments I was holding it, I found it surprisingly bulky and cumbersome compared to my E-1 and E-300. And I went in expecting to really be impressed by the retro control layout. In practice, I didn't think that the ergonomics are as good as the Olympus bodies. That totally cured me of any compelling desire to acquire it.

Especially considering that I paid ALOT less for an E-300 and an E-1 combined as one of these L1 bodies would cost me.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:29 PM   #8

DougJGreen wrote:
Quote:
I have to say that I handled the camera at my local Frys, and in the few moments I was holding it, I found it surprisingly bulky and cumbersome compared to my E-1 and E-300. And I went in expecting to really be impressed by the retro control layout. In practice, I didn't think that the ergonomics are as good as the Olympus bodies. That totally cured me of any compelling desire to acquire it.

Especially considering that I paid ALOT less for an E-300 and an E-1 combined as one of these L1 bodies would cost me.
The L1 is not about ergos. Packaged with the Leica lens it is the equivalent of buying designer jeans as compared to Levis.

There are plenty of better cameras out there in terms of performance and features and lots of quality glass to be had.

Besides, they can't seem to get this thing off the ground. Is there a shortage of the raw exotic materials this thing is made out of or are they just trying build up demand?Wait.... I know..... they are trying to get it just right.

Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #9

I found it for $1361.00 at broadway photo. I dont know how reliable they are but its the best price I have seen.

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=psdmcl1k
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:08 AM   #10

fallenleafs wrote:
Quote:
I found it for $1361.00 at broadway photo. I dont know how reliable they are but its the best price I have seen.

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=psdmcl1k
Don't waste your time with them Broadway Photo (aka: A&M Photo World, Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo and others.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

One clue to these shoddy retailers is the overinflated prices they want for accessories, which they will insist on selling you when they call back to confirm your order. If you do not buy the add-ons, the camera will be out of stock.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote