Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:54 AM   #1

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...leica-m8.shtml

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:30 PM   #2

Hi Riley

Thanks for the link ! I didn't think MR was going to post the hands on for at least another week!

UPDATE:

Just finished skimming through the review - looks as if Leica have hit the nail right on the head with the M8.

"The bottom line is this. If you know and appreciate what an M Leica is about, you'll find that the M8 fulfills its promise. If you can afford one, then run don't walk to your local dealer..." damn I can't afford one...:cart:

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:50 PM   #3

Read through that "review" more carefully.The only camera that could get that kind of praise from someone like thiswith that kind of noise performace beginning at ISO1250 would be Leica. If someone secretly took the noise part of that review and slipped it into the performance numbers of anything else,we'd be hearing another song from that site. First time I've ever heard from someone like this about noise giving the file "character"... this is noise, right? The kind of stuff all these reviewers poo poo about if they can see it anywhere below ISO 1600 with any other model, but now it's "character". Pleeeeaaaase, shovel it on a little thicker for us, MR...only from a Leica Homer about, of course, a Leica...and of course, all the usualfolk will line up to pay almost $5,000 for it. At least you've got to give him credit, he admits he's a Leica Homer.

You'd be way ahead of the game to buy a Canon 30D and a couple of L-series zooms. The difference between the cost of an M8 body onlyand that Canon outfit would probably still buy you a NICEnew computer, and you'd probablystill have change left over. Of course, the M8 is built to last a lifetime. Problem is, would you still want it 5 years from now? Building a digital camera that will last a lifetime today seems to bemore than a bitbackwardswhen yo see peopleasking 6 months after a model is introduced when the next model is coming out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4

hi Harj, Greg

its an awfull lot of of money isnt it
fortunately im still playing with LC-1, i just scored a new wide adapter for 1/2 price yesterday and am waiting on its arrival, so M8 isnt a consideration. i met a german tourist armed with an M6 and an M7 with alternate 28 and 90mm lenses. he eyeballed my LC-1 while i checked out his M6.

I suspect the pana/leica relationship might produce another model yet
pure speculation mind you

and L1/D3 bodies will be cheaper in a year

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:42 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Problem is, would you still want it 5 years from now? Building a digital camera that will last a lifetime today seems to bemore than a bitbackwardswhen yo see peopleasking 6 months after a model is introduced when the next model is coming out.
ain't that the truth and such a dilemma! you know, i've never thought about obsolescence when it comes to my R5 film body which i've had for years. i have, however, thought about my Digilux2 and 20D in these terms, although both represent much newer technologies. i gotta say, though, that leica has really put together a much better digital M body than i would have expected.

http://www.fotop.net/dave
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote