Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 29, 2007, 10:30 AM   #1

I have a Sandisk Extreme III 2G and it works great. The Sandisk Ultra II 2G is half the price of the Extreme III. I am curious if i will notice a performance loss when recording RAW. I've read that the Sandisk Extreme IV would be a waste due to the speed of the Pano L1 write speed...I'm not concerned w/ the transfer to my computer, just wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if the Ultra II is sufficient. Anyone know a site that lists various Secure Digital Card specs or should i just visit their respective websites w/ their claims?
Unkle Samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

FWIW, iborrowed a friend's Sandisk Ultra II and saw no noticeable/real world performance loss recording RAW data w/ my Panny L1...hopefully i can find a 4G Sandisk Ultra II for a nice price!:-)
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:56 PM   #3

Make sure the III write speed is OK
The 2 and 4 differ according to Panasonic Global
The larger SDHC is class 2

It may be proven wrong.. but just be aware..... get 2 of the 2 Gig Extremes

No FAT 32 to worry about.. needs a different reader as well
Costco has them on sale.... coupon deal

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ect/index.html
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:22 AM   #4

Circuit City had the 2G Extemes on sale for $39...couldn't resist. Thanks Tom.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Administrator

It won't hurt to buy a faster card. You'll get faster transfer times using a fast card reader, and you may buy another device that can take advantage of the faster speed later.

For future reference, from what I can find out, it looks like the L1 has a maximum write speed of around 4.5MB/Second using a 2GB Extreme III. That's pretty good as cameras go. But, it's nowhere near what a fast card is actually capable of. For example, my KM Maxxum 5D can write to an Ultra II or Extreme III at approximately 8MB/Second, and the Sony DSLR-A100 can write to an Extreme III at over 13MB/Second.

The L1 is difficult for reviewers to judge write speed accurately with, since it doesn't appear use an LED when writing to media. But, that's what one reviewer estimated for write speed (4.5MB/second with a 2GB Extreme III shooting raw+jpeg).

So, chances are, you're going to get diminishing returns going to cards much faster than an Ultra II (buy a card that's twice as fast, see a small increase in throughput).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote