Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:27 AM   #11

I don't know if the L1 lens is 100% compatible.... why would you opt for a body only and then pay $900 for the f2.8
Expensive, wait for a possible L2.. that is what I would do.. or get the L1
You wont regret it

Tom
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:15 PM   #12

I don't recall the website I saw last night but it said the difference in price between the two lenses, i.e., 14-50 2.8 and the 3.5was about $150 dollars, supposedly same quality/ near compatability. If the price of the L10 with f/3.5 is $1,300 then it follows thef/2.8 aperture brings the price up to $1,450; this assumes the website knows what it's talking about of course. That said, it brings me back to the initial question, is there any information on a body only deal?

On your ''upgraded L2'' is this something you suspect may happen based on intuition or something more substantive? I say this because you'll notice the 40D is right at $1,300 also. Again, depending on which website one looks at it conceivably gives the impression this L10 is actually the replacement for the L1. What this means, to me anyway, is that an upgraded version of the L1 would have to be significantly beyond the L10 in order to ''keep it away'' from the L10 in terms of competition. Does this interpretationmean a newer L1 will compete with the Olympus E-P1, which I don't think will be the same price as the L10, but more?

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:52 PM   #13

Loaded question, and if you look at panasonics japan site, you will see the L10 is not a replacement for the L1. Not in the same league really as it is a "bridge camera" in the manufaturers words.. it is sort of the D40 ish, a starter SLR
I really have not seen anyone who compares the lens.. even a $100 price difference
There are a lot of people out there making claims on camera they never see. If you were to look at the L1 or Digilux 3 and handle it, I think you might see the difference, provided of course you can also handle the L10

As for a L10 body only deal, not from the manufacturer, that seems unlikely

I am only guessing on an L2... maybe in a few months a tweak.... I do not see a major change. I would almost bet the L1 will be like the LC1, a one issue camera as the rangefinder look doesn't sit well with a lot of folks.
The lens is quite different on the L10 and not to the standards of the LC1 or L1
hence the name change. One stop is not the only difference....
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote