Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:14 PM   #1

According to C|Net (news.com) PanaLeica are about announce details about the new budget DLSR on July 17th 2007. Was first posted over at dprview but at the time I thought it was a rumour as Pana usually announces new cams late July/August just ahead of Photokina, GMBH. We've known for several months that they're going to introduce a budget DSLR this summer so its nothing out of the blue but they could suprise us with info on the forthcoming Pro cam to.

I'd say for the budget DLSR - the kit lens will be the new 14-150 leica D as they will clearly be aiming to get the FZ users (which includes me :G) to upgrade and the only thing that will entice them would be a good super zoom. The size and weight of the new Leica D which is approx the same as the 14-50 make it the only candidiate in town as I can;t see them simply rebadging a Simga/Olympus lens. Other features - ergonomics/design the same as the current FZ30/50 which is no bad things at all as it looks and feels very similar to my E1, perhaps a bounce flash (don;t think so - as they will keep that for the L1/Pro) but I;d be suprised if they left off the tilt swivel LCD but then again they may not want to upset Oly.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I can't see them simply rebadging a Sigma/Olympus lens.
Hi, Harj

This is a bit off of your posted topic, but I have a question about Sigma versus Oly lenses.

Over myyears of 35mm film photography my experience has been that Sigma lenses have been of average quality albeit decent value for the price, and rather slow especially since they needed to be stopped down to get better sharpness.Oly lenses in general have been very good andrecent Oly 4/3 lenses, even the kit lenses, have been extremely good.

My question is, is Sigma makingall Oly lensesor just some of them? Does Sigma havetwo production lines, one for Sigma and one for Oly? Or is it just that all of the lenses are made in China anyway, to different specs? (My E-500 was made in China.)

Just wondering what's actually happening in the world of 4/3 lens production...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:17 PM   #3

Hi Ted

The only current Oly lens that clearly is a Sigma design and possible manufacture is the 18-180. The new 70-300 also looks like its a Sigma design with a few tweaks by Oly whether Sigma or Oly manufactures the lens is anyones guess. The rest of the range,I'd assume were Oly design and manufactured. Someone over at dpreview commented that the Leica D14-50 was really a sigma design and build - which was just hilarious, no disprect to Sigma but why would pana have a plant and Leica engineers onsite if they were simply subcontracting it all to another company.

Cheers

Harj

:?:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:40 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted

Someone over at dpreview commented that the Leica D14-50 was really a sigma design and build - which was just hilarious, no disrespect to Sigma but why would pana have a plant and Leica engineers onsite if they were simply subcontracting it all to another company.
Thanks, Harj

I agree that it seems extremely unlikely that Leica would go along with that. But then, you never know what manufacturing agreements are in place.

I'm also an amateur cabinetmaker and over recent years I have been continuously amazed about where tools are actually manufactured, regardless of the country of origin of the brand name. I have a Milwaukee (US) palm sander that was actually made in Taiwan, and a Bosch (German) drill that was manufactured in the US.

Maybe I should stop being concerned about this, but I have found that the quality of goods soldbybrand name companies but manufactured in China, vary dramatically. Ihave a Porter-Cable (US company but made in China) router that was recalled because of a fire hazard. I find this rather disturbing, especially since fires and sawdustdonot play well together <grin>.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:45 PM   #5

I have been watching the discussion of whether Sigma, Minolta, etc. would produce lenses labeled "Leica." They have, many times. The Leica SLR 28-70 used the same glass as a Sigma of that era, and was built by Sigma. The Leica SLR 24 2.8, the first 35-70, andseveral 70-210s wereMinolta glass, the same as parallel Minolta lenses,and built there. Then there is the CL rangefinder series; those cameras and lenses were made by Minolta too.

Of course, all the point-and-shoots were built by somebody else, first Minolta and then Panasonic. Panasonic and Olympus seem to be the sources of the new Leica digital SLR, which is virtually identical to the Panasonic one, and Panasonic builds the lenses in Japan, I believe.

But, as somebody said, this is common. What matters to me is the product, not where it is made--if Sigma can build a Leica-quality lens, fine.

Charlie

cel14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:43 PM   #6

Say, did you happen to see the "leaked" photo's on the L10?
Looks like a FZ50 upgrade or a combo look... seams the traditional with the FZ but appears to have a detachable lens?

:?:
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:43 PM   #7

Duble clicked. here it may show up
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8

Newsflash about L10 in German
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/95203
Panasonic Germany has detailed specs by now.

Looks like the potential Replacement for my FZ30....
maybe only alternative. Probably too heavy to lug around when the FZ30 will do...

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9

I think this is a hybrid.. either the FZ60 or ?
It has no relation to the L1 in quality .. slower lens or design

Just hard to figure out why they put this out as a bundle if a L1 replacement.

SLR FZ ? No movies.. time will tell
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:35 AM   #10

Concerning the L10:

What if a buyer wanted the f/2.8 14-50mm instead of the /3.5? Would it be possible to get just the body?
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote