Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:06 PM   #1

I have an old Leica rangefinder 35 mm with the 50 mm Elmar lens. It's a '52 but still takes very sharp pictures.

I love the look of the Lumix DMC L1 and that Leica lnes that is the 'kit' lens seems to be very high quality.

They're pricey for only 7.5 MP but I'm assuming the quality is very high and it sure looks like an Leica rangefinder.

Anyone have one.. are you happy with it? Excellent quality pictures , I'm sure .
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

I love the L1. Got it back in July 2007 as my first step into dslr. Having the dust reduction, in lens image stabilization, live view, 3fps continuous shooting, did I mention the best wide zoom lens available for 4/3 system users. The aperture ring on kit lens and shutter speed dial make shooting intuitively without fudging through the settings menus a breeze. I must admit that I got an incredibly good deal on price for this new kit or I would never have considered it, probably would have gone with Pentax for weather seals on the K10 which was in my price bracket. I have abolutely no regrets, image quality is professional with kit lens and I am about to sink a fortune in good quality Olympus glass to accompany the L1 for more options.

Robbie
srf4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:45 PM   #3

Personally, I think the L1 is still a fine camera and one that I am still interested in getting. The lens alone is worth the entry fee and at current prices your getting the L1 for free. Tom, plus a few others have it and picture quality is still even for a 7.5MP top notch. A friend of mine has one and he loves the B&W and multiple exposure modes that it has.

Check out the Leica Forum for some more info and pictures taken with teh L1/Digilux3 + various Leica/Oly lenses:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...digital-forum/

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:44 PM   #4

Just back from vacation: The L1 is a joy to use and it has brought me
further along with photography than I ever imagined. It may be a one issue camera ( or end of line with the L10 ) and a rarity in the future
7.5 seems about about perfect for the sensors we use in APS

Noise levels seem to be low, and as you noted, it looks great. I have almost defaulted to the 25mm f 1.4 though... I use the kit lens for all purpose now, but it still is a keeper. Long term, these lens should retain full value as they too are unique.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:23 AM   #5

Tommccarty wrote:

''The L1 is a joy to use and it has brought me
further along with photography than I ever imagined. It may be a one issue camera ( or end of line with the L10 ) and a rarity in the future
7.5 seems about about perfect for the sensors we use in APS.''

You and I were talking the other day about whether the L10 seemingly was a replacement for the L1 and I had asked about a body only purchase andyou said you doubted it. And if yet anothernot-remembered-by-me website is accurate then you may be correct.This website said the two lensesare specific to therespective cameras, i.e., meaning no body only purchase for the two cameras.So this may well mean there will be an upgrade to the L1 sometime in the near future.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:25 PM   #6

Hard to say on the replacement. I heard the Digilux 3 was being discontinued and the L1 sales were not what they expected. I would like to see the new camera, say an L2 body only..
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:28 PM   #7

I'd like to see an L1 replacement. I still like the looks of the camera.

About the time I was seriously thinking about buying the L1, maybe 7-8 months ago,home repairs got in the way so I postponed my decision. Timereally haszoomed by since then. Who knows, since I don't shoot much anymore I may see an L1 in my future if it's discounted ''right.''
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:17 PM   #8

They have it for sale at a camera shop in my city. $ 999 Canadian....was $1799 Canadian about a year ago.

This is with the 14-50 (?) Leica lens. Love the look and I'm a fan of anything Leica. But I think I will begetting a Pentax DSLR as I have a lot of Pentax gear from my 35mm days.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:01 PM   #9

Now the new flat cameras are coming in, I really think the L1 will be the last and may become a sought after system. I would ov a hi ISO camera like the Nikon D300 or 700 but for what I have in the L1.. it's a keeper
<8 mp is not a problem
I now shoot RAW and use PS.. carry the new TZ5 as a pocket camera
Sold the FZ20 ( it still has many fans ) The L1 may get you more attention than other cameras that look alike.. but that is just another reason to talk photography with another like minded person.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:46 AM   #10

A joy to have and to hold
focuspocus is offline   Reply With Quote