Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
JKA

Any one has good result using the 4X digtal zoom on L1?
I find the image is too noisy, it just like the digital zoom on Video Camcorder.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2

JKA wrote:
Quote:
Any one has good result using the 4X digtal zoom on L1?
I find the image is too noisy, it just like the digital zoom on Video Camcorder.
Well....considering the Panasonic L1 is a digital SLR andthere isno digital zoom option on any DSLR,anyone else is going to have a hard timeduplicating yourresults.

What "L1" are you talking about? You do know this is a Digital SLR page.... right?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:20 PM   #3
JKA

Hi Greg,

It is the Panasonic L1 I am referring to. The digital zoom option is available on the Live-View option panel, you can select 2X or 4X.

Jka
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:18 PM   #4

Yukko! Leave it to Panasonic....I need to see if my E510 will do that. Have to admit I don't play much with live view on DSLR's. I won't use digital zoom on my TZ3 digicam...definitely wouldn't ruin the image quality of that 14-50 Leica lens by using it on the L1.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 7:14 AM   #5
Administrator

Sony has a digital zoom feature on it's newer A300 and A350 dSLR models, too. They call it a "Smart Teleconverter"

But, rather than cropping and interpolating, it's just cropping. It's only available in Live View modes. With the A350, 1.4x digital zoom gives you a 7.7MP image, and 2x gives you a 3.5MP image.

If you use 2x digital zoom, or crop a photo to look like you used a focal length twice as long, you end up with only 1/4 of the original pixels.

In the OP's case (using 4x digital zoom with the L1), you'd end up with only 1/8 the original pixels before any interpolation took place. So, it's a feature I'd probably avoid.

It looks like the L1 also has a digital zoom that only crops (versus cropping and interpolating the way the 2x and 4x choices work). It has 1.2x and 1.5x options from what I can see in it's specs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote