Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:26 AM   #11

Tostada wrote:
Quote:
Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
the G1 is an interchangeable lens digicam with a bigger sensor. It is not a DSLR, and this is a DSLR forum....with few subjects and even less traffic. There is already a forum for the G1...the Panasonic digicam forum.
Quote:

That's kinda silly.
Quote:
Really? Go check the Panasonic forum at DPReview.The G1seems to co-exist very well. That is the biggest usergroup interested in this camera.
Quote:
For all intents and purposes, the G1 is a DSLR. Yes, "SLR" technically means it should have a moving mirror, but guess what! That's gone digital, too!
Quote:
Not in the DSLR's I've looked at recently. The mirror still looks to be there to me, and I doubt we'llsee Nikon or Canon in any big hurry to stop the *flood* of users dropping their cameras for anything being made by Panasonic, other thanmany who probably never should never have owned a DSLR in the first place but did because there was no better option with the smaller camerasdue to the limitations of digicams when it comes to high ISO quality and the ability to both follow a moving subject while at the same time capturingrapid sequence shots, where the G1 is better, butstill inferior.
Quote:
Don't kid yourself here. The G1 is still very limited compared to the versatility of a DSLR.If you can blink your eyes and follow a movingsubject at the same time, you can bothfollow and continuously shootany subject with a DSLR. The zero delay of the optical finder and *flippy* mirror are still state of the art for any subjectthat moves.
Quote:
People will probably just start calling any digicam with an interchangeable lens system a DSLR, or maybe mirrorless ones will be called micro DSLRs. Maybe we'll get a new acronym. Regardless, I think we can all agree that a good sensor and interchangeable lenses the defining features of DSLRs, not the silly little fact that they have a mechanical flippy mirror. Discussion of micro four thirds cameras certainly fits better in the DSLR section than the pocket digicam section.
Quote:
Assuming it actually generates traffic here, I guess! Considering your post here and my response are posts #6 and #7 for the first 25 daysthe year in this forum...an average of a whopping 1 post every 3-4 days, I'm not sure I'd call what we've seen so farasan avalanche of intereston this site, while as of right now there are 8 current G1 threads on the Panasonic Digicam forum over at DPReview with multiple replies within the last two hours. If G1 information or *active*discussionis what you want, this is not the place to be.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:50 PM   #12

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not in the DSLR's I've looked at recently. The mirror still looks to be there to me, and I doubt we'llsee Nikon or Canon in any big hurry to stop the *flood* of users dropping their cameras for anything being made by Panasonic, other thanmany who probably never should never have owned a DSLR in the first place but did because there was no better option with the smaller camerasdue to the limitations of digicams when it comes to high ISO quality and the ability to both follow a moving subject while at the same time capturingrapid sequence shots, where the G1 is better, butstill inferior.
Quote:
Don't kid yourself here. The G1 is still very limited compared to the versatility of a DSLR.If you can blink your eyes and follow a movingsubject at the same time, you can bothfollow and continuously shootany subject with a DSLR. The zero delay of the optical finder and *flippy* mirror are still state of the art for any subjectthat moves
Quote:
Assuming it actually generates traffic here, I guess! Considering your post here and my response are posts #6 and #7 for the first 25 daysthe year in this forum...an average of a whopping 1 post every 3-4 days, I'm not sure I'd call what we've seen so farasan avalanche of intereston this site, while as of right now there are 8 current G1 threads on the Panasonic Digicam forum over at DPReview with multiple replies within the last two hours. If G1 information or discussionis what you want, this is not the place to be.
It won't be long before photographers realize that Nikon and Canon are not "IT" when it comes to serious photographic equipment. I think stating that Nikon and Canon users most likely won't change their gears to Panasonic (or any other brand for that matter) is a bit pretentious. Perhaps the high end dSLR design will remain as is, with a flip mirror and all that BUT, the fact that more and more Nikon and Canon are changing their dSLRs to reach the P&S users, is undeniable. A true photographer won't need to have movie capabilities on their cameras, or will they??? Look at the recently announced Nikon D90 (not a bottom of the line model), which incorporates movie recording capability. To me, that's no different than Panasonic changing the OVF to an EVF. It's just the evolution of technology. Until very recently, one of the major factors that kept people from the dSLR market was money. Today, one can buy a brand new Sony A200 for a mere $420 (or on eBay like I did for $346). Now, there are plenty of P&S out there with a price tag higher than $400. So, people more and more feel that they can upgrade to a dSLR without breaking the bank and there is no doubt that camera manufacturers are well aware of this trend. Panasonic may not have the same reputation as Nikon and Canon when it comes to photography but they are certainly innovating to say the least (and will soon be followed).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:17 PM   #13

Time to revive this post again....if for no other reason to increase the number of posts in this forum for 2012, to THREE!

None of which are related to Panasonic DSLR's.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:14 PM   #14
Administrator

A forum is only as good or bad (or busy or slow) as the members that frequent it; and I'd like to think we have a friendly community here.

So, if you want to see more activity, encourage any Panasonic dSLR owners you know to drop in. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:18 PM   #15

Aaaahhhhh Greg

Do I detect a bit of friendly stirring :-)
I have grown to love the G2 & both she & he have one each + a collection of glass milk-bottles that suit various purposes

We love the light weight system, the fabulous-bright viewfinder, the easy menu system, the "years-before-the-others" smart use of controls for focus & frame-shooting etc etc

So while we'll also have our UZ cameras in the vehicle for day-to-day snapping the G2s wil be there for some very serious stuff > like taking pictures !!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Although I'm a big Panasonic fan, the L1/L10 never did it for me, primarily because of its price tag and limited lens selection.
The lens selection may be limited, but the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 and the Vario-Elmar 14-150mm are two of the finest lenses available for any DSLR, and work equally well on Oly DSLRs. The 14-150 isn't easy to find but those of us who have one always chuckle when someone posts the question "If you could only have one lens which one would it be?". If you had the 14-150 you wouldn't ever ask that question.

I don't post here much simply because I know the folks in the Oly DSLR forum and they've become my friends (and I mostly use Oly DSLRs) but I use my L1 quite a lot. I'll try to remember to post here also.

Ted

Edit: When everything comes together, the L1 + 14-150 are a nice pair:

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:20 AM   #17

Ted, I am happy you put this image here.

I like looking at it and every time I see it , well,,,,,,,, it takes a while before I move on.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:22 AM   #18

Thanks for your kind words, Bob.

Here's another of my favorite images with that kit (at the long end of the 14-150):

Ted
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:43 PM   #19

....yeah, I remember this one too, such a beautiful Maine Coon long hair, you know ours is gray with green eyes but all colors have the same face shape and eye expressions, love'em; and hey, how 'bout a recent now that she likes you.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....and hey, how 'bout a recent now that she likes you.
Here you go, Bob. This is just to the right of my desk at home, where she supervises my work:

"I'm not interested in hi-tech - thinking makes me tired"

Ted

PS: Not a Panny DSLR photo - sorry...