Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:28 PM   #1

With such a pathetic number of posts, many of which are related to Panny digicams(!) and not DSLR's, does this forum serve a relevent purpose today (has it ever?), here or anywhere else?

With the advent of this new micro-four-thirds system, I'd be shocked if we ever saw another Panasonic DSLR....but what the heck, for some reasonthe old Kodak DSLR forum is still around with a dribble or two of posts from time to time about cameras all old enough now to qualify as "classic" digital cameras!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2

I don't see a need to shut this down. No matter what you may feel reason to be enough to do so. The new offering from Panasonic has actually gotten much interest from me as I have and used Panny FZ's. I like the idea and always wanted to have a 4/3 format camera (dSLR). The first two offerings were a bit high for me though I spent alot on Nikon gear which I will always enjoy using.

I vote if were to come to that is to keep this and all forums up on all makes whether it be the newest thing to come out or relics no one has any use for.

Posting in the wrong forum has been a problem every and anywhere so it is not a big deal to me either.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:08 PM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I don't see a need to shut this down. No matter what you may feel reason to be enough to do so. The new offering from Panasonic has actually gotten much interest from me as I have and used Panny FZ's. I like the idea and always wanted to have a 4/3 format camera (dSLR). The first two offerings were a bit high for me though I spent alot on Nikon gear which I will always enjoy using.
As an FZ50 owner myself, I understand what you are saying, but neither the FZ series OR the G1 are DSLR's....the G1 is an interchangeable lens digicam with a bigger sensor. It is not a DSLR, and this is a DSLR forum....with few subjects and even less traffic. There is already a forum for the G1...the Panasonic digicam forum.

Consider this...our conversation herealone constitutes 1/6 of ALL posts in this forum for the ENTIRE YEAR!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:01 PM   #4

If the G1 becomes a popular as I think it might, the traffic in this forum may well pick up. And it rall only needs a minor name change to include it and future models in the same vein.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:26 PM   #5
JKA

L1 and L10 doesn't not appeal to most photographer because there is not much lens available. If L1 /L10 comes with a 14-150MM kit lens, this site will be more active.
There is also not much information available on using the third party Sigma or Olympus lens on L1 or L10 as well.

For your information, I purchased an Olympus 40-150MM F4-5.6 zoom lens for 99.99 Canadian dollars two days ago and it works very well with my L1.

Shooting in raw mode with a Metz 58 AF1 external flash, L1 is as good as any other DSLR.

You L1 and L10 fans, please share your experience with us and keep this site alive!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:44 PM   #6

Hey, look! We've just increased the total number of posts in this forumfor all of 2008 to date, from 17 to 22!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:57 PM   #7

Hello vIZnquest!

I bumped into you in the Pentax Forum & Really appreciated your help and comments there!

I was coming over here to see what people were saying about the Panasonic G1.

Not that I'd be able to afford it, but it is an intriguing platform.

I just automatically assumed that this would be where people would talk about the G1.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:59 PM   #8

Although I'm a big Panasonic fan, the L1/L10 never did it for me, primarily because of its price tag and limited lens selection. However, the G1 caught my attention and like Glen, I decided to browse this forum to see what people have to say about it. Unfortunately, traffic here is real bad, which is discouraging and makes it pretty hopeless. One of the issues (IMO) is the lack of passion. Panasonic is a relatively new brand when it comes to SLR type of photography. If you look at the Pentax forum, it is one of the most active (even though Canon, Nikon and even Sony sell more cameras than Pentax). I think a lot has to do with how much Pentax users (owners) are passionate about their cameras. That passion is reflected in the high forum participation. As Glen stated here, the G1 may change this forum's participation as more people become "proud" Panasonic owners. I will certainly become a regular visitor if I decide to buy the G1 (and probably a RED one).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:59 PM   #9

What FZ20 better than Pentax K20D Caude Bristol
M1CEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:09 PM   #10

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
the G1 is an interchangeable lens digicam with a bigger sensor. It is not a DSLR, and this is a DSLR forum....with few subjects and even less traffic. There is already a forum for the G1...the Panasonic digicam forum.
That's kinda silly. For all intents and purposes, the G1 is a DSLR. Yes, "SLR" technically means it should have a moving mirror, but guess what! That's gone digital, too!

People will probably just start calling any digicam with an interchangeable lens system a DSLR, or maybe mirrorless ones will be called micro DSLRs. Maybe we'll get a new acronym. Regardless, I think we can all agree that a good sensor and interchangeable lenses the defining features of DSLRs, not the silly little fact that they have a mechanical flippy mirror. Discussion of micro four thirds cameras certainly fits better in the DSLR section than the pocket digicam section.
Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote