Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:09 PM   #1

Hello,

The Panasonic G1 looks like a really intriguing camera.

I don't have the budget to get one, but I'm just really intrigued by it.

My questions are these . . .

Since it doesn't have a shutter . . .

1) Will it be able to easily / cheaply be able to sync at all shutter speeds with a cheap flash? (I mean since the sensor is always exposed through the lens without anything blocking it . . .)

Also . . .

2) Would it be possible for the G1 to have something like a built-in incident meter? Couldn't they just program the camera so that it pulls in the light through the sensor and then figures out how much light came through at a determine simulated shutter speed at a selected aperture? And then give the readout on the LCD? (It would be like giving the customer a light meter for just the cost of some programming.) Only problem is that you'd have to point the camera at light source you want to measure. Then read the back. And then re-point the camera at the subject matter that you want to shoot. A little inconvenient, but for no cost, it might be fun to play around with. I know I've been using my light meter more and more to try to understand lighting.

Also . . .

Sorry for posting this question here, but to me the G1 looks like an SLR and has been programmed to act like an SLR so that the questions and issues that you come up against will be similar to the issues that you'd have with SLRs.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2

Hello All,

I had a chance to try out the Panasonic G1 (pre-production unit) at the Henry's Camera Show up here in Toronto, Ontario yesterday (Oct 17th).

For those who were interested in knowing . . .

No. The G1 does not high-speed sync with cheap flashes. I had my Vivitar 285HV with me and I asked the person at the Panasonic booth if I could hook it up to their G1 & as soon as I did, the G1 dropped the shutter speed down to 1/180 sec.

Also, although it is quiet (because there is no mirror box) it is not silent because it still has a shutter (thus a physical barrier to being able to high-speed sync to cheap flash.) The shutter is not as noisy as a Pentax, but more quiet like a Nikon. I had my Nikon D70s there, I should have run the shutters beside each other to see which was quieter. I was impressed with how quiet it was.

NOTE: Quietness is the other reason I was intrigued in the G1, since it's small size and quietness should allow you to take more candid / unobtrusive shots either at your next family get together or at a more formal function that is on the quiet side where a camera going off would be a nuisance.

The guy at the booth said that the G1 will be coming out 1st week of November and be about $700-800 with the standard lens (which I think is the 14-45mm with the 2x multiplier of the four-thirds system I think it is equivalent to 28-90mm).

At that price, size and quietness, this is a very interesting camera!

Take care,
Glen

Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the feed back, I would be interested in anything else you could tell us about the G1 too.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 1:17 AM   #4

Hello,

I didn't spend as much time with the G1 as I wanted / should have.

But the Panasonic representative did mention that the version with video is slated for 2nd quarter next year (which would be cool to have) and there's going to be a small cute little external flash that will be released (since what's the point of having a small camera, if you end up having to carry a big huge flash around with you.) (Nicely thought out there!)

I tried out the autofocus (since it is edge detection instead of phase-detect because of it being live-view) and I thought it focused quite well in the not so nicely lit trade centre hall. One thing I should have tried, but didn't, was to try to focus manually! I didn't even think of that while I was there, but how easy/hard is it going to be to focus manually when you don't have a focus screen to look at, but just a little LCD monitor?

Take care,
Glen

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:35 AM   #5

There are still going to be reasons why people who use DSLR's, or want the benefits of a DSLR, won't want this camera.

I still expect this design to be a "no-go" go for the combined ability ofshooting multi-image bursts and still be able at the same time to follow a moving subject in the finder, which covers a wide array of subjects, from sportsat any level, to children playing in the yard, to birds in flight, etc., etc., etc.

As good as this EVF is, it's still also going to be a limiting factor people are not talking about yet.....but will be as soon as someone buysone to do just that type of picture taking. Until they get these typefinders to where there's zero refreshdelay andzero freezing at the moment you press the release, many of the reasons why digicams frustrate so many are still going to be a limiting factor that keepmany buying *outdated*, but thestill superior technology the DSLRcontinues torepresent today....and why the G1 still does not warrant being talked about on a DSLR page.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:01 PM   #6
JKA

G1 is a nice looking camera. The view finder is very clear. The focuing seems very fast.

But the test photo from Henry's Photo Show is not pretty.
Attached Images

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:40 PM   #7

Hello JKA!

Yeah, really bad lighting at the show! Looks just the same as the pictures I took at the show with my Nikon D70s & a Pentax K200D at the shooting gallery when I set the iso to 200.

Do you know what iso the G1 was set to?

As for your comment Greg. Yeah. The G1 isn't as snappy as a real dSLR, but it looks like it will be a lot more fun than a point-and-shoot! Unfortunately, it really is a camera that is caught between two worlds.

I guess I was hoping that it was more like a point-and-shoot with some nice dSLR features.

I mean, I can flash sync up to 1/2000 with my $250 Fujifilm E500 4 megapixel point-and-shoot camera. And this thing can only go to 1/180 sec.

. . .

Well I guess I got to go. My daughters screaming at me to go to the library. <grin>

Take care, all!
Glen

Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:17 PM   #8

It would be good seeing how the images of this camera stack up against the D70 but go ahead and call me crazy but I think it would do well even against the D90 at least in the auto mode.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:14 AM   #9
JKA

Hi Glen,

For your information, the EXIF:

ISO: 400
F: 5.3
Focal Length: 158MM
Exposure: 1/6

As for the high-speed sync, if you use a dedicated flash for G1, it should flash at any exposure selected.

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:21 PM   #10

Glenn-

I believe that the Olympus FL-36 flash will work with no problems on the Panasonic G-1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote