Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:17 PM   #11

This is great!

That Samsung seems pretty powerful also.

Now . . . what is your impressions of the G1?

With the smaller mFT lens, is the camera noticeably smaller than a conventional dSLR? Are you more apt to carry it around? Do you feel restricted by its set-up any way?

What are your thoughts this 1st little while?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:15 PM   #12

Now . . . what is your impressions of the G1? Excellent! I love it! It has all what I ever wished for a small camera. Great viewfinder with total control and 1.440.000 pixels, perfect display, moveable, 460.000 pixel, 4/3 sensor with 12 megapixel, menu ala Panasonic.

With the smaller mFT lens, is the camera noticeably smaller than a conventional dSLR? Are you more apt to carry it around? Do you feel restricted by its set-up any way? It's better than every other camera :-)The camera (with lens) IS smaller - and lighter! I carry my (very) small photo-bag with Oly510(9-18mm) + G1(14-45mm) + NV24(24-100mm) ... my old photo-bag also has place for Zuiko 70-300.

What are your thoughts this 1st little while?
I wouldbuy it again (it's a little sensation)- next year (perhaps) I will get Lumix G HD with 1920x1080-movie + stereo sound. My NV24 takes excellent 1280x720 movies (with stereo sound)

pano with G1

zooming with G1

pseudo-HDR (different white-balances combined)

regular picture

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:51 AM   #13

---> (click) Manual G1, english

---> (click) HandbuchG1, deutsch/german

Vergleich: mitgeliefertes Handbuch - selbstgedrucktes Handbuch, jeweils ~ 170 Seiten

Compare: included manual - self printed manual, ~ 170 pages

printed with Canon IP4000 with very good refill ink, one cartridge ~ € 0.20 - original ink € 13.99 :shock:

Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:11 PM   #14

Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:30 PM   #15

Hey . . .

I scanned through the manual and noticed that the G1's LCD display swivels out like the old Canon G series. Too cool! This means that now that you got live view, not only don't you have to look through the small finder, but you can swivel the live-view LCD to an position that is easier for you to view . . .

You can hold the camera well above your head or well below your knees and still see what the camera is looking at and fiddle around with the shot . . . and not break your back!

Sorry . . . Too Cool!

And I just went back over the article in the November issue of Popular Photography and they didn't mention this feature at all!!! To me . . . it would be a no brainer to point this out in the article!

Just a thought . . .

Take care,
Glen

Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:41 PM   #16

I often make macro pictures and this movable display is very nice for that. Cameras like Lumix FZ30 and FZ50 also have this feature. Otherwise you need an angle viewfinder for pictures near the ground. Extra cost, extra luggage :--) .

I do not know why so few cameras offer these benefits
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:56 PM   #17

todays pictures - G1

Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:03 PM   #18

Today is "saving"day. I have to copy my 150 gb pictures from 30 DVDs to 6 blurays.

Puuuhhhh ... that makes 24 hours.

Per disk

1.5 hours write

2.0 hours compare

0.1 hours print :-)

Then I'll copy all after 3 years (2012) onto ONE 400 gb disk

For now, having pictures on DVD/Bluray/extern harddisk is enough.

Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:37 AM   #19

Hello,

Burning to Blueray. Now you got me thinking . . . You just added something to my Christmas wish list! <grin>

I've only got about 50gig of pictures (only backed up on an external hard drive) and I've been putting off burning to DVDs.

Take care,
Glen

Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:29 AM   #20

It's faster (and cheaper) to use an external USB-HD

Now my new FishEye (€ 53) for all my cameras, especially for G1. It features a separate usable macro-lens with 12.5+

And my cable-remote (€ 7.99 - 1m, also available with 3/5/10 meters). It works well also with FZ30, FZ50 and other Panasonic cameras. Forget original eqipment with 7.99x price :blah: