Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:09 AM   #21

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Burning to Blueray. Now you got me thinking . . . You just added something to my Christmas wish list! <grin>
Hope you have a good back account! DonalDuc is correct - a BlueRay burner and Blueray disks are way, way, waymore expensive than an external hard drive.

And way slower, especially if you get an ESATA (External SATA) hard drive rather than a USB. On a PC you may need to put an ESATA board in, but then the PC will see the ESATA drive as an internal drive, with similar high-speed data transfer rates. The only down side to an ESATA drive is that, like an internal drive, you can't dismount it while the computer is running, only when it is turned off. And the ESATA drive must be powered on before you boot the computer.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:27 AM   #22

I'm using my extern 2.5" 320 gb eSATA/USB HD for photo storage, that lasts for pictures for 31.4159 years.

USB2 without extern power, eSATA with extern power.

Bluray burner (LG Electronics GGW-H20L SATA 6x speed, Europe ~ 150 €), one bluray disk (25 gb)~ € 4.50 - € 9.90

Extern 2.5" HD 250-320 gb ~ € 70 - € 90

10 burnt bluray disks (250 gb) are more expensive then an externe 2.5" 250 gb HD drive ... hehe, and bluray volume is bigger!

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:46 AM   #23

Cool!

Is this the fish eye attachment that you are taking the above fish-eye images with?

What brand is it?

Does the fish eye come with the macro? Is it perminently attached? How does that work?

And . . .

Would you post a picture of a scene taken with & without the fisheye attachment?

(I know. That's a lot to ask.)

But, I am so interested!

I've been eyeing the fish eye lens for my Pentax because it is cheaper to get that than a fish eye for my Nikon, but I haven't been looking at these fisheye attachments because I didn't know how well they work, what angle of view your get & how does it compare to a fisheye lens itself.

Don't go out of your way, but just thought I'd ask.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:06 PM   #24

The fisheye is a Jackar, made in Japan, 58mm, but you can find similar lenseswith other names. 12.5 macro back lens is de-screwable.

With my G1 I use it with a 58mm-52mm adapter. My Oly 510 has lenses with 58mm.

You can work with every camera/lens - you get a full circle (circular fisheye), if lens is ~ 28mm (4/3 = 14 mm, because of crop=2)

---> same fisheye $70

---> same fisheye more expensive

---> Tokina FishEye 0.22x, € 72, with 4 adapter rings 43mm, 46mm, 52mm, 55mm

Quality is not the best - but consider the price. A fisheye (for ONE camera-bayonett) is in price ranges € 500 - € 900 ... not worth for little use.

Even RAYNOX fisheye adapteris more expensive - but not so much better.

fisheye with macro-lens (else not usable) / adapter 58mm/52mm / G1

picture with +12.5 macro lens from fisheye - only center sharp!

wing of a dragonfly

stamp

picture with a cheap +10 macro lens (price € 7.99 - not an achromat for € 60 )

picture without macro lens, only 14-45 lens

Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:53 PM   #25

picture with 0.25 fisheye

picture with Samsung NV24 at 24 mm

Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:22 AM   #26

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
Bluray burner (LG Electronics GGW-H20L SATA 6x speed, Europe ~ 150 €), one bluray disk (25 gb)~ € 4.50 - € 9.90

Extern 2.5" HD 250-320 gb ~ € 70 - € 90

10 burnt bluray disks (250 gb) are more expensive then an externe 2.5" 250 gb HD drive ... hehe, and bluray volume is bigger!
A6X Bluray disk writes at 27 MB/sec while eSATA writes at 300 MB/sec.

Much of my work is with uncompressed digital video files, at about 13 GB for an hour of video.RAW camera files are pretty small in my world (grin). So I've had to take a good look at the cost of large file storage. Your 320GB external drive isn't too bad but not the most cost-effective. The best price per MB right now is with 0.5 TB drives from Hitachi or Samsung, that can be purchased as bare drives in the US for under $US70. AndSATA drives were designed without the requirement for a set of connectors that must be clipped in place- their (data and power) connections can be slid into a socket. This means that you can get what you can think of as a giant flash card reader/writer for them, for under $US40. Mine is a Vantec NexStar. You just slide the bare drive in, and push down the button on the right to eject it.

Ted

Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:04 PM   #27

Yes, that's nice. I prefer my solutions: a docking bay on PC with connecting eSATA and/or USB - and power. Without cable - like an internal HD.

You can connect/disconnect HD by moving 1 cm.

Enough place for 500/750/1000 GB :-)

With extra power supply (included), you can connect this HDs to every other computer.

All photos made with G1 :lol:

Old Nov 11, 2008, 3:59 PM   #28

A very nice setup. I'm happy you only need three drives!

Ted
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:55 AM   #29

sun goes down

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:26 PM   #30

original G1 picture with laserfilter (only resized)