Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:31 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
...If the GH1 is no better at action shots than the FZ7 then I might as well stay where I am. ...
I think technology has come long ways since the FZ7 was first introduced quite a few years back. I used to have the FZ20 (one of the most amazing superzooms ever for its unique f2.8 lens across the entire focal length - 432mm). When the FZ7 first came out, a co-worker bought one. I compared the two models and found the FZ7 to be almost a downgrade from my older FZ20. So I waited. When the FZ18 was released, I tried it on and loved it. That was a significant improvement over my FZ20, so I replaced it. Today I have the FZ28. The G series can focus very fast and the AF tracking works great on moving subjects, much faster than the FZ28, so I seriously doubt your FZ7 would out perform or even perform similarly to the GH1. The advantage of the FZ7 is the 12x zoom lens. However, if you buy the Lumix 45-200mm for the GH1, you will be very very close to the FZ7 FL. Despite the fact that I've seen some awesome results produced by the GH1, I've said it before and will say it again...it's over-priced. Assuming video recording is a must, I'd take a closer look at the two new G models as they incorporate a lot of the GH1 features at a much more reasonable price.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:34 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post

Yeah, there are sports photographers with Canon DSLR and Canon $ 1.111.111 lens 1200mm - used as phallus symbol ...

I would not be able to afford the tripod needed to support this beast!!!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:11 PM   #173

Thanks for the info Tullio,
I'm not interested in the video ability of any Dslr camera and imho it's a pity they lump it into so many now. My D5000 would have been cheaper and a wee bit lighter without it no doubt.
I must say I like the 14-140 mm lens and it appears that Panasonic only sell it with the GH1.
Which is a pity because it ties you in to video again with the inherent cost,which with the G1 / GH1 is considerable.
Given time perhaps they will put the 14-140 mm as a stand alone option.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:01 PM   #174

a) you cannot compare 14-140 because it is unique/matchless. Wether Canon nor Nikon nor someone other has a comparable lens.

b) since GH1 on market you also get 14-140 ---> http://geizhals.at/eu/a409874.html

Last edited by DonalDuc; Mar 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM.
DonalDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:02 AM   #175

It appears that the 14-140mm lens can be bought for 649 + postage,so it is available on it's own from T4 Cameras in the U K but they dont list the G1 with a body only price. So I have googled the body only price and the cheapest I could come up with is 299 + del.
So I would be looking at just under a 1000. Which is what I can get the GH1 for now, complete.
So I'm a bit confused at the moment but I'm sure that Panasonic need to sort their pricings out. As with Nikon/Canon for example its possible to mix various bodies and lenses with the prices making sense.I dont think we are talking about bundle pricing here ,just silly pricing, which isn't going to help Pana sell their cameras. ,so I'm with you on this Tullio.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:23 AM   #176

Quote:
It appears that the 14-140mm lens can be bought for 649 + postage

So I would be looking at just under a 1000. Which is what I can get the GH1 for now, complete.

So I'm a bit confused at the moment but I'm sure that Panasonic need to sort their pricings out...

If you come out equally moneywise with the combo of the 14-140mm + G1 as if you bought the GH1-kit including this magnificent 14-140mm, why do you confuse yourself and want the 1. alternative? Get the GH1 with the 14-140mm for the same price and be happy!

This 14-140mm was specially designed FOR the GH1, and not the G1, because of the video (faster AF + silent AF-motor that could not be picked up by the microphone). Besides, the GH1 has a far better sensor, giving you a chance to shoot @ ISO 1600 without penalty - try doing that with the G1 -

If you want a sports-shooter camera look up Canons. You don't go fishing with a 1fot pole if the waterfront is 18 feet away...
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:13 PM   #177

I would re-iterate what Walter said.... the 14-140 is a bit special, with its' silent fast auto-focus and step-less aperture it's 'optimised' for shooting video and offers a very serviceable 10x range for everyday use.

I wasn't convinced about Panasonic's pricing either, and yes, the GH1 is an expensive camera. Overpriced? Well, a lot of things are, but you get what you pay for. Don't forget, most of the money in the GH1 is buying that lens.... and it is a beauty! It's heavier (and a little stiffer to zoom) than you might expect, but fast, sharp, small and quiet.

If you want the 14-140 (and who'd blame you if you do?), you're most definitely better off buying the GH1 kit. The bonus is of course that this will also give you a better sensor and enhanced video capabilities compared to the G1, and indeed the forthcoming G2. The GH1 sensor does indeed produce better results at higher ISO settings, and whilst you may not want video capabilities now, I'd bet once you see the footage coming out of the GH1, you'll change your mind and use it more often than you think!

I had my first outing with my new GH1 yesterday (see other post) and I'm very happy with my decision.... It might not be the ultimate 'sports shooter', but I got great photos of my kids in action on the big slides and running about like lunatics, plus I had the added advantage of being able to capture stunning HD movies with one camera.

For me, the GH1 fits many situations - it's the perfect family memory catcher whether you want photographs or movies, with great image quality and bags of creative potential. Yes, this comes at a price, but I'm very glad I chose to pay that price!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:46 AM   #178

Useful info,
I thought the G1 was just a videoless GH1, just shows I should spend more time looking a reviews.
What I am confused about is why both combo's should come out at around the same price.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Mar 23, 2010 at 7:45 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:44 AM   #179

Quote:
Useful info,
I thought the G1 was just a videoless GH1, just shows I should spend more time looking a reviews.
The hybrid nature of the GH1 is definitely a major selling point, but yes, it is true that there are other advantages over the G1 (and GF1). As Walter points out, the GH1 sensor does perform better than the G1 at high ISO settings - it's arguably the best micro4/3 sensor available today, and it seems this will remain the case in the Panasonic line-up, since neither the G2 or G10 inherit it (although they've got an updated Venus engine).

This is a case where the sum is worth more than the parts alone..... the lens is a beauty, but it makes most sense purchased with the GH1 IMHO rather than with a G1 body.

Frankly, I don't understand Panasonic's logic with the G2 and G10, but that's a whole other thread I think!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:35 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
...Frankly, I don't understand Panasonic's logic with the G2 and G10, but that's a whole other thread I think!

Neither do I. They have not added anything photographycally interesting to it, or anything giving me better IQ than I have in my G1 today, video not being one of my interests.

IMO they have "pimped" the old G1 to attract new buyer-groups (touch-screen), probably the target-group being young people (not old farts like me...) who are used to iPods and their likes, plus people migrating from p&s-cameras.

Oh well, Panasonic probably needs to get a fast turnaround and some hard needed cash for their shareholders. They cannot survive on enthusiasts like us only.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote