Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:20 PM   #11

GH1 body is only $600 - Canon 500D body is $ 800 :-/

500D: less power - but higher price. For a 10x Canon zoom in such quality you have to pay more then for 14-140 HD

Compared with 500D is GH1 the better selection (my opinion)

Don't forget the (very big!) excellent GH1 viewfinder with 1.440.000 pixels.

Of course you can buy a 450D-set (or good Oly set) - aaaaand a (small) HD camcorder for half the price.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:44 AM   #12
Super Moderator

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
GH1 body is only $600 - Canon 500D body is $ 800 :-/

500D: less power - but higher price. For a 10x Canon zoom in such quality you have to pay more then for 14-140 HD

Compared with 500D is GH1 the better selection (my opinion)

Don't forget the (very big!) excellent GH1 viewfinder with 1.440.000 pixels.

Of course you can buy a 450D-set (or good Oly set) - aaaaand a (small) HD camcorder for half the price.
I'm intrigued which parts of the 500D make you class it as less power, there are advantages to both. Also at the moment we are stuck with very limited info, when we start seeing hands on then we will get a better idea.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It does seem that the video side of the GH1 will win and the photo side it is likely to be the 500D.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"On the last point you are right about getting a still camera and video camera, however one of the things I really want to be able to get is the shallow dof shooting of a larger sensor which you get with both these options, more so with the 500D as well as readily available fast primes at quite sensible prices as well as a generally larger range of lens options.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:06 AM   #13

Both cameras make HD video - what Canon makes, is a shame. I am very disappointed.

1080 at 20 fps, no external mic, no moveable display (arghhh!)... forget it. If you want only taking pictures, buy a 450D or 40D or whatever. If you are rich, buy a 5DMkII with senseless 43 mbps and castrated video functions for > € 3.000

I've Canon, Oly & Lumix - my order of preference is Lumix, Oly, Canon. ALL are good cameras. I hoped 500D would be a highlight ... now I can forget ist. $1000 saved :-), hurray, hurray!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:08 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Yes I agree, if you are only looking at the Video side the GH1 is the best option, but for a photographer who wants some video then on paper the Canon seems to be choice.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:20 AM   #15

For beginners - with much money - 500D is a good start. But not to change from other cameras.

For taking HD movies you can buy a cheap camcorder (this week you get with ALDI a 1280x720 camcorder for € 89.90 - including bag and mini-tripod) or a good P&S - Samsung NV24/BW500 with excellent stereo sound ... or others.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:53 PM   #16

Small interview with some guy from Panasonic regarding the GH1

http://www.butterscotch.com/showdtl.html?s=at&e=94
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:20 PM   #17

(C) Panasonic

calculated to 1920x1080 (10mb) divx...

http://www.vimeo.com/4021085

http://www.file-upload.net/download-..._divx.AVI.html

Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:04 AM   #18
E.T

This is first d"SLR" which has me really interested but Panasonic has some serious work ahead in ergonomics/user interface if they intend to get me to buy their camera body. First better EVF after five years isn't enough for that.

For user interface there aren't enough direct controls and use of menusurfing interface instead of user interface.
Then I had change to try GH1 in my hand in weekend and ergonomics simply sucks:
Media sexy big LCD with centered position of EVF which wouldn't be anymore bound to position above lens means nose tends to hit to camera and it's harder to use left eye for watching past the camera for seeing "the big picture" when zoomed in. Also this uselessly oversized LCD eats lot of space from controls meaning too small buttons are packed way too densely under right thumb which along with way too small hand grip makes getting any kind grip hard.
And still despite of these problems camera is bigger than my current camera which has superior ergonomics/controls. These in hand photos show problem well:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...mcg1/page4.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Koni...taA2/page3.asp

I guess I have to hope for Olympus to make m4/3 body using E-30 as base tweaked for smaller m4/3 bayonet and possibilities of EVF... Or someone at Panasonic getting fever and deciding to make actually serious tool instead of just slapping dSLR's lens mount to P&S.

But Panasonic sure has some interesting lenses which would cover good range from actual wide angle to tele.
Their new 14-140mm HD lens just is apparently optically below "predecessor" Leica D 14-150mm: Dpreview's PMA interview hints that Leica doesn't accept making optically lower quality lens and then fixing deficiencies through processing.
Basing to what little I've found that Leica D lens is optically very good so hopefully they'll work with Leica to get that updated. (contrast AF seems to be supported but I wonder about continuous AF)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:28 AM   #19

You cannot compare this two cameras - you cannot compare an old shoe and a new shirt. These are different things.

If you are happy with A2 ... don't think about G1. Make pictures with A2 and be happy! It's easy.

Or accept G1/GH1 - Panasonic doesn't hear your curses, screams andwishes.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:21 AM   #20

Juppiduppidumm!

originalvideo 20090424_212010.m2ts ... 1920x1080, 29 MB

http://www.file-upload.net/download-...2010.m2ts.html