Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:00 AM   #1

That's the question guys.

Can we put the Leica M away and still get ambient light silent shots in churches, funerals, film sets, theatre and opera, where you are a fly on the wall and mirror noise is intrusive or strictly verboten!

Are there adapters for Leica M & R and old Olylenses? And other good glass??

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2

you get adapters from different manufacturers and from Panasonic (Oly/FT, Leica M, Leica R)

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:50 PM   #3

Many thanks for this info and pix

It's a pity there's no 'body' only available. I would only want theirwide angle lens when it comes out.

Is it SILENT ?

Max
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:11 PM   #4

Sound is not as loud as with other DSLR

There is no mirror sound - only shutter ... hear there ~ time 0:41 - 0:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfQHRP6r2s

---> Hehehe!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5

My japanese is not what it was, but you get the picture!!

Where is the 'shutter'? You see the sensor. Which is why they tell you not to stick your fingers in!!!

I think the sound you hear is 'optional' so you know you took the shot!! You can turn that off.

In any event, when the GH is taking video, WITH sound, you can't have shutter racket up to SIXTY frames a second blitzing the soundtrack.

THAT is why this is the only dSLR able to shoot video - no mirror noise. And given the hugesensor size (compared to HD video cameras), my guess is you have a TV broadcast quality camera-sized sensor (or bigger!) for your money. Which is very interesting.

Great to shoot movies with. But you need very serious PC power, or an AVID editor to process the gigabytes of data fast.

Have you made any movies??

max
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:49 PM   #6

If you remove lens - you can see the shutter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dK6Qa1Iy4Y

You can select sound for taking pictures off/low/loud - but shutter sound is ALWAYS there - you cannot switch of this sound, it's a mechanical sound.

THAT is why this is the only dSLR able to shoot video - no mirror noise :?

Eyyy? Canon 5DMkII & Nikon D90 both HAVE mirror and they can take videos (1920x1080 / 1280x720) With life view you do not need mirror!

GH1 has BOTH formats ... and a moveable display

But you need very serious PC power, or an AVID editor to process the gigabytes of data fast.

Wrong. I've an "old" pc (Dualcore, 1.8 GHz) and NO problems with H264 (1920x1080 / 1280x720).

And 2 HD camcorders (Sony, Panasonic 1920x1080), 2 Samsung cameras with 1280x720, Canon SX1 with 1920x1080/43mbps

You need the right soft and good codecs - that's all. What you hear are fairy tales from people they don't know about H264 and buy QuadCore & 32 GB RAM and a $ 899-graphiccard.

my guess is you have a TV broadcast quality camera-sized sensor

You can have a 72x48mm sensor with 48.5megapixel - for HD-1920x1080 you ALWAYS need TWO MEGAPIXELs, because 1920x1080 = ~ 2 mpixel :blah:

Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:00 PM   #7

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
My japanese is not what it was, but you get the picture!!

Where is the 'shutter'? You see the sensor. Which is why they tell you not to stick your fingers in!!!

I think the sound you hear is 'optional' so you know you took the shot!! You can turn that off.

In any event, when the GH is taking video, WITH sound, you can't have shutter racket up to SIXTY frames a second blitzing the soundtrack.

THAT is why this is the only dSLR able to shoot video - no mirror noise. And given the hugesensor size (compared to HD video cameras), my guess is you have a TV broadcast quality camera-sized sensor (or bigger!) for your money. Which is very interesting.

Great to shoot movies with. But you need very serious PC power, or an AVID editor to process the gigabytes of data fast.

Have you made any movies??

max
There are DSLRs that shoot video: Nikon D90,Canon EOS 5D Mark II & Canon EOS 500D. They lock the mirror in the up position when they shoot video.

The Panasonic GH1 is not a DSLR, because it has no mirror box. (not "reflex)

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:03 PM   #8

Lumix G1 and Leica/Summicron

http://www.vimeo.com/3896381
Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:55 PM   #9

The shutter stays open (so you have permanent live view) only working when a shot is taken?

And you don't hear this 'mechanical' noise on the video sound track?

Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:31 PM   #10

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
Is it SILENT ?
NO camera with a shutter is silent. Shutters are not silent. Also, what most people don't realize is that theterm "automatic lens" means that unless the exposure is set for the lens wide open, the iris in the lens has to close down to the iris setting corresponding to the lens f-stop when the shutter is pressed, and that iris closing and opening isNOT silent. Just a fact of life.

Your question about whether the G1 is silent is unreasonable. If you want to know whether the G1 is as QUIET as a Leica rangefinder, that's a reasonable question. You might tryasking that question here. (I don't have a G1 so I can't answer that question.)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote