Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 24, 2009, 4:52 PM   #1
JKA

Default No replacement for L1/L10

Just learn from Panasonic from Henry's Photo Show in Toronto. Panasonic will not produce any model to replace the L1/L10. All DSLR development will be on the G series line. Is this good or bad?

Well, here is a few phots from the show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3691954...737658108/vist

Enjoy!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 5:14 PM   #2

Its probably a good thing. With the micro4/3 configuration they have something distinct from the offings of the big guys.

The 4/3 format hasn't succeeded on the market even with two manufacturers working together on bodies and a thirds with lenses. It didn't offer any advantage over the offerings from anyone else.

I expect Olympus to coast along with 4/3 equipment for a while, but they are expected to offer a micro4/3 model soon. Only time will tell if the micro4/3 model(s) end up dominating the Olympus line or not.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 5:57 PM   #3

Probably not a surprise. I think their bodies are good and lenses are generally outstanding, but they are expensive. People don't look like they've been willing to commit to an expensive system without some reasurance that they system will survive. On the other hand, Olympus has offered good kit lenses in camera/lens packages that are good value & low in price. Because of this, I think Olympus 4/3 will survive. And the up coming Olympus micro 4/3 is sized smaller than the Panasonic micro 4/3 G1 & GH1, effectively offering a very different Olympus micro 4/3 solution that complement the 4/3 DSLRs, and in fact, complement the G1 & GH1)

I guess you might say that this may be one reason that Panasonic shaped and sized the G1 & GH1 as very small sized "DSLRs" rather than micro sized micro 4/3 bodies..... in effect, the G1 & GH1 are their continuation of the Panasonic "DSLR". The good sales of the G1 & GH1 probably confirmed the decision to drop the real DSLR line.

I wonder if Panasonic will continue to produce their Leica lenses for a few years? After all, they can still be used on Olympus 4/3. And I wonder if they will produce some top quality Leica lenses for micro 4/3?? (the current G1 & GH1 lenses are NOT Leica)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:37 PM   #4

I still love the L1
Tom McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:38 PM   #5

BTW: What is with the Join date? Way off. And when I signed in it said last time waas 40 years ago
Weird
Tom McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
JKA

I joined two months ago.
Please try this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7

Panasonic are being more successful with the G1/GH1 than they ever were with the L1. Because the G1/GH1 are a different breed of cameras, they positioned themselves in a new segment of the market with no competition from any manufacturer (except Olympus). But, from what I understand, Nikon will come up with a mirrorless camera in a near future and I'm sure others will follow.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Panasonic are being more successful with the G1/GH1 than they ever were with the L1. Because the G1/GH1 are a different breed of cameras, they positioned themselves in a new segment of the market with no competition from any manufacturer (except Olympus). But, from what I understand, Nikon will come up with a mirrorless camera in a near future and I'm sure others will follow.
If Nikon do that, it will be interesting to see if they use APS-C (likely) or whether it's better to go for micro 4/3, with the ability to make the camera smaller. If Nikon go for micro 4/3, I guess that would be an attempt to wrest control of that new market segment away from Panasonic & Olympus, even though it's unlikely.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:37 AM   #9

I don't believe Nikon (or any other manufacturer at this point) will adopt the m4/3 system. They would have to produce totally new lenses and the new camera models would be compatible will the entire line of legacy lenses they have produced. For Panasonic that was not a big deal because they did not have any legacy lenses to begin with.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I don't believe Nikon (or any other manufacturer at this point) will adopt the m4/3 system. They would have to produce totally new lenses and the new camera models would be compatible will the entire line of legacy lenses they have produced. For Panasonic that was not a big deal because they did not have any legacy lenses to begin with.
However, Panasonic had to produce a whole new line of lenses for their micro 4/3 cameras.
And think about it.... if they produced a micro 4/3 smart adapter that allows Nikon AF-S (electronic) lenses to be used with micro 4/3 cameras, then people might start buying Nikon AF-S lenses for the G1/GH1 !!!!!

Now I don't think that is likely, but what a coup that would be!!

As for size, the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f/4-5.6 OIS lens for the G1/GH1 is almost exactly the SAME SIZE as the Nikon DX 55-200mm AF-S F4-5.6G ED lens with a micro 4/3 to Nikon adapter attached!!!!!!
So if you had a G1 or GH1 and you were thinking about buying a lens in that range, you could buy the Nikon instead. (the Panasonic is 25% more expensive than the Nikon. ) Ok, the Nikon 55-200mm VR is bigger, but it's still just as cheap as the older Nikon.
Any adapter would add to the cost, but you could use that for any other Nikon AF-S lens.