Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:43 PM   #11

If someone needs an EVF - then he will buy it.
If he do not need - then he will buy no EVF.

So simply it is :-)

I HATE cameras without viewer! It's like a car without wheels.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Seriously though, if Panasonic have a "bulky" micro 4/3 (G1/GH1) in the lineup, and then produce a slimmed down micro 4/3 (GF1), does it NEED an EVF?? I would have thought that an average P&S user (who has never had a DSLR) is not really even used to an EVF. So in that respect, maybe the GF1 without an EVF is the perfect complement to the G1/GH1.
I don't believe a camera can be a complement to any other camera simply because it does not have an EVF. Although it is true that most P&S these days do not have an EVF, that does not mean that people moving from a P&S to a DSLR w/o EVF will feel at home. The P&S are a much different type of camera. They're lighter (even the super zoom models) and their lenses are compact and small compared to DSLR lenses. I haven't had a chance to hold the EP1 with a 70-300mm lens attached to it but by just imagining the size discrepancy, it makes me believe that framing anything at the long range of the zoom through the LCD would be challenging. In reality, how good is it to have a minuscule camera body if you have to carry along bulky lenses (even though the m4/3 lenses are smaller than the 4/3 ones)? IMO, these super compact DSLRs make sense with pancake-type lenses because you keep the package size small while benefiting from the larger sensor (better IQ, high ISO performance, AF speed, etc).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:42 PM   #13

Quote:
I have a G1, and it is host to MANY very fast (manual focus) lenses, from the tiny Olympus OM 50mm f1.8, to the Nikon 85mm F1.8, to a Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4, or the Minolta MC 58mm F1.4 (plus lenses like Tokina AT-X 80-200mm F2.8, but not small of course!!!)
Well, yes. It is true one can use an adaptor for many lenses on micro four-thirds cameras. But it dilutes the size advantage MFT cameras enjoy. Still, I'll have to see just how tiny that Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 is. But I think you understand what I'm asking for - more fast MFT-specific lenses. Still, none of this gets in the way of my enthusiasm for the format. And I'm sure there'll be more lenses down the road. I'm just glad I have my LX3 right now.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Well, yes. It is true one can use an adaptor for many lenses on micro four-thirds cameras. But it dilutes the size advantage MFT cameras enjoy. Still, I'll have to see just how tiny that Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 is. But I think you understand what I'm asking for - more fast MFT-specific lenses. Still, none of this gets in the way of my enthusiasm for the format. And I'm sure there'll be more lenses down the road. I'm just glad I have my LX3 right now.
Of course, it looks like that pancake with the GF1 is going to be a 20mm F1.7, from various reports!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I don't believe a camera can be a complement to any other camera simply because it does not have an EVF. Although it is true that most P&S these days do not have an EVF, that does not mean that people moving from a P&S to a DSLR w/o EVF will feel at home. The P&S are a much different type of camera. They're lighter (even the super zoom models) and their lenses are compact and small compared to DSLR lenses. I haven't had a chance to hold the EP1 with a 70-300mm lens attached to it but by just imagining the size discrepancy, it makes me believe that framing anything at the long range of the zoom through the LCD would be challenging. In reality, how good is it to have a minuscule camera body if you have to carry along bulky lenses (even though the m4/3 lenses are smaller than the 4/3 ones)? IMO, these super compact DSLRs make sense with pancake-type lenses because you keep the package size small while benefiting from the larger sensor (better IQ, high ISO performance, AF speed, etc).
To me it's a case of selection. Most people here seem to be saying that the small size of the E-P1 & GF1 (and I suppose the E-P2) preclude the use of a built in EVF. I'm just saying that if you take the 3 currently available micro 4/3 cameras and add the GF1 and the E-P2(assuming both of those DON'T have an EVF), then you have a choice: For EVF use the G1/GH1, for small size use the rest.

In this sense the G1/GH1 & the GF1 (for example) are complementary. I could see a time when I'd be heading out the door wanting to take a camera with me, but with just a pocket available. Then I'd take a GF1 with a pancake.
When I bought a G1, I wasn't buying it for its small size(ok, maybe the SMALLER size of camera + two kit lenses for travel). I wanted the small flange distance mainly for the ability to use just about ANY manual focus lens. e.g. 85mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, etc. And that includes a Canon FL/FD mount 500mm mirror lens, which WILL NOT FIT any of my other DSLRs!!!
e.g. My purpose was to mount ANY lens, regardless of camera size.

The main advantage of the E-P1, GF1 etc is the ability to carry a small package when needed, but also to attach big lenses if you want to, without the need for more than one camera.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:13 PM   #16

The GF1 should be announced today, shouldn't it?? (September 2nd)
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:36 PM   #17

It's here!!!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...x_dmc-gf1.html
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:20 AM   #18

Wow! A camera with weak lens and weak EVF (202.000 pixels, eyyyy! GH1 has 1.440.00 ! ) for $ 1100.
I kiss my GH1! 10x better!

14 pages preview with photo and video samples

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/

Last edited by DonalDuc; Sep 2, 2009 at 6:24 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:25 PM   #19

Actually, I can get the GF1 in Japan for way less than that:

Body only: $680 USD
With 14-45mm lens OR pancake 20mm: $870 USD

And these prices will go down.

It seems that Panasonic have been smart, and priced it below the E-P1.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
It seems that Panasonic have been smart, and priced it below the E-P1.
Not here, they haven't. Amazon has the GF1 listed at $899 while the EP-1 is listed at $799.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote