Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:27 PM   #1

Default Lumix GF1

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:04 PM   #2

I just spotted this via 1001 noisy cameras myself. It looks like it does have a built-in flash but does not have an electronic viewfinder (too bad). If this camera really exists - and I think it probably does - it goes a long way toward explaining why the Panasonic LX3 has become so hard to find. They may not need the LX3 any longer. And if autofocus performance is closer to G1/GH1 than Olympus EP-1, Olympus may have a problem on its hands.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:51 PM   #3

And comparative size:

It has a built in flash. I guess it may be a fraction lighter than the E-P1 without the OIS in the body.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:45 AM   #4

I think you can get an EVF - it has connection for it (like RICOH).
But then it is not smaller than GH1, has no moveable display, no fullHD 1920x1080, no stereo (? ? ?)

Last edited by DonalDuc; Aug 7, 2009 at 5:21 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:32 AM   #5

What do you mean "it is not smaller than GH1"???
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6

I think he means if one attaches an EVF to the top of the camera, then the total package won't be smaller than a GH1. He may be right. It might be a bit thinner than a GH1 but it would probably then be just as tall and almost as wide.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7

I doubt this will be a reasonably priced camera. I prefer the LX3 with its fixed lens. Yes, the limitation in terms of FL is much greater but one does not need to worry about sensor dust, carrying/swapping lenses and such. I also wonder how well balanced the camera feels with a long zoom attached to it. I think the body is way too small and the lack of a EVF will make it very difficult/awkward to photograph anything at 400mm+ while framing using the LCD. So, if that's indeed the case, then for sure the LX3 is a better choice.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:55 PM   #8

I'm glad I got myself an LX3 for Christmas last year. I still have an interest in Panasonic's micro four-thirds cameras. But so far, there are no lenses for these cameras that are anywhere near as fast as the f/2.0-2.8 offered by the LX3.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I'm glad I got myself an LX3 for Christmas last year. I still have an interest in Panasonic's micro four-thirds cameras. But so far, there are no lenses for these cameras that are anywhere near as fast as the f/2.0-2.8 offered by the LX3.
I have a G1, and it is host to MANY very fast (manual focus) lenses, from the tiny Olympus OM 50mm f1.8, to the Nikon 85mm F1.8, to a Canon FD SSC 50mm F1.4, or the Minolta MC 58mm F1.4 (plus lenses like Tokina AT-X 80-200mm F2.8, but not small of course!!!)
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I think he means if one attaches an EVF to the top of the camera, then the total package won't be smaller than a GH1. He may be right. It might be a bit thinner than a GH1 but it would probably then be just as tall and almost as wide.
Well, ok that might be what he was saying.

Seriously though, if Panasonic have a "bulky" micro 4/3 (G1/GH1) in the lineup, and then produce a slimmed down micro 4/3 (GF1), does it NEED an EVF?? I would have thought that an average P&S user (who has never had a DSLR) is not really even used to an EVF. So in that respect, maybe the GF1 without an EVF is the perfect complement to the G1/GH1. Panasonic have got the mix just right in my opinion.

It's a different story with the Olympus though.... the E-P1 is the ONLY micro 4/3 they have. As such, they need to have more capability up front, which should include an EVF & flash. Perhaps they will get this right with the E-P2.