Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Super Moderator

just so you know.... i am jealous... the legacy glass is the reason i really want this system.

anyways, i think canon and nikon are going a different route. they both seem to have rumors of large sensor fixed lens bridge type cameras. i.e. canon pro2, and a superzoom with a 2.5 crop for nikon.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I finally found a great deal on Craigs list and bought the G1 with the two lens kit (14-45mm and 45-200mm). I'm having a blas with the system. I bought the Pentax PK to m4/3 mount adapter on eBay for less than $40 since I already had some old Pentax manual focus lenses. It worked great. Now I'm about to buy the Canon FD adapter and some of those great (and cheap) Canon lenses. Now, this is really just for the fun of it as the Pana kit lenses are awesome. Next I have my heart set on the Pana 20mm 1.7. I've seen some amazing results with it. I'll be posting some pictures taken with the G1 soon. This technology is the future. Rumors are that Sony and Fuji will join the m4/3 crowed. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Lastly, the m4/3 is the system that works with just about every lens ever made by any manufatory (all in MF mode of course).
What WOULD be interesting, is a Canon EF - micro 4/3 adapter, with electronics to make the two fully compatible.... (the EF is fully electronic, with no aperture lever, while Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc have an aperture lever)
It would open up a huge pool of lenses to the micro 4/3 world!!!!!

How much did you get that kit for?
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:09 PM   #13

Thanks, Sarah. I haven't had this much fun with a camera since I got the R1 over 3 years ago. I got the Pentax to m4/3 adapter and am amazed by the image quality I'm getting out of my old SMC-A 50mm 1.7 lens. I almost sold this lens with my K100D because it performed so poorly (and that's a Pentax camera). I'm sooo glad I didn't. Of course I have to use the lens in MF but performing MF on the G1 is a breeze. The great thing about the contrat-based focus system is the fact that there is no front or back focusing. If you have good eyes and the lens is good, images will be dead sharp. I'm ready to sell my Sony A200 and everything else that goes with it. I bought two MF Pentax lenses on eBay this past w/e for $20 each. Can't beat that.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
What WOULD be interesting, is a Canon EF - micro 4/3 adapter, ...

How much did you get that kit for?
Actually, the Canon FD lenses are the most preferable because they have an aperture ring. That's what makes this system so great, the fact that one can buy an arsenal of great old lenses for peanuts (but, that's changing rapidly as the m4/3 becomes more and more popular).

I paid $650 for the G1 black body, the kit lens and the 45-200mm. It was all brand new (less than 300 pictures taken + 6 months warranty and a sales receipt from B&H).

Tullio
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:30 PM   #15
Super Moderator

EF doesn't work. you would have to put it on an EOS camera, set the aperture, take it off, then shoot, repeat if you wanted a different aperture.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:31 PM   #16

Tullio-

You got a super deal and best of all you are really enjoying yourself. How are the old Olympus OM lenses on the G-1?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
EF doesn't work. you would have to put it on an EOS camera, set the aperture, take it off, then shoot, repeat if you wanted a different aperture.
Yes, I know that, what I said was:

"What WOULD be interesting, is a Canon EF - micro 4/3 adapter, with electronics to make the two fully compatible.... (the EF is fully electronic, with no aperture lever"

A Canon EF - micro 4/3 adapter would be around 25mm deep, so there would be enough room to put electronics in. e.g. a small microprocessor to translate focus, aperture, stopdown info, etc. This would make a Canon EF lens workable with micro 4/3, with full AF and aperture control, just like a micro 4/3 lens, which is currently not the case.

Last edited by dnas; Nov 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Actually, the Canon FD lenses are the most preferable because they have an aperture ring. That's what makes this system so great, the fact that one can buy an arsenal of great old lenses for peanuts (but, that's changing rapidly as the m4/3 becomes more and more popular).

I paid $650 for the G1 black body, the kit lens and the 45-200mm. It was all brand new (less than 300 pictures taken + 6 months warranty and a sales receipt from B&H).
I have exactly the same kit. Bought in Japan about 6 months ago, brand new, unused, about $630.

I use a number of FD lenses with my G1, including 50mm F1.4 S.S.C, 200mm F4 S.S.C, FD 35-105mm F3.5 & an FL 135mm F2.5

I also use a lot of other lenses, including Pentax, Minolta MC & MD, Konica, Nikon, Olympus, Tamron SP (with a Adaptall 2 - micro 4/3 adapter), Tokina, and M42 lenses.

I can still source quite a few nice MF lenses in Japan, but I think you're right, once the FD secret is out, the price will go up.

Last edited by dnas; Nov 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:22 AM   #19

I'm waiting for my 135mm 2.5 Pentax lens. Depending on the results I get, I may just stick with the Pentax system. Otherwise, I'll switch to the Canon FD.

Tullio
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:48 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm waiting for my 135mm 2.5 Pentax lens. Depending on the results I get, I may just stick with the Pentax system. Otherwise, I'll switch to the Canon FD.
No need to switch!!!

Just get another adapter!! FD adapters are quite cheap now!