Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:10 AM   #11

Thanks a lot, Tullio!

I'm glad sombody with "hands-on"-experience to the G1 can answer.

Do you know anything about the possibility to use non-Panasonic batteries in the G1?

IMO the original batteries are very expensive ($ 142,-) here in Norway, and I would feel rather 'uneasy' having only one battery, and no spare to carry.

For my FZ-28 I have 3 original batteries, and realize now that I didn't have to buy as many, because the FZ-28 is very economical in battery-consumtion. I have gotten as much as 950 exposures out of one charge!!

I wish the G1 would use the same battery-type as my FZ-28 does - that would make things a lot easier....

Regards!

BTW. I like your pictures with great details and plenty of sharpness! Thank you for posting.

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: changed "hans-on experiment to hands-on... :o/
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:00 PM   #12

Thanks, Sarah. Some legacy lenses are good but there are lots of real bad ones as well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:51 PM   #13

Good picks, but what about posting some landscapes photos, or portraits... I don't know, something else than close ups with the G1 or GH1? I would like to see that.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:21 AM   #14

I haven't had a chance to take any nice landscape or portrait photos yet. The close ups show how well the G1 performs with vintage lenses, which should also work well on portraits. It's just fun to work with them.

Tullio
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:58 AM   #15

Hi,
I can confirm the battery purchased here in the UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...194206&sr=8-12

Works fine with the G1 firmware version 1.4 ( latest FW) which was designed to block unauthorised 3rd party batteries

I had problems finding any others that said they would do the job.I'm sure more will appear tho

Hope this helps
wilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilx View Post
Hi,
I can confirm the battery purchased here in the UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...194206&sr=8-12

Works fine with the G1 firmware version 1.4 ( latest FW) which was designed to block unauthorised 3rd party batteries
It just comes to show that manufacturers should concentrate their efforts in trying to improve their cameras rather than implementing battery restrictions. I can almost bet that this battery check business is a result of some lawsuit. Somebody bought one of those 3rd party batteries, which perhaps caught on fire and burnt the user who then went after Panasonic. Who knows. The bottom line is, soon every 3rd party battery will work with F/W 1.4 (until Panasonic changes the check code).

Tullio
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilx View Post
...Works fine with the G1 firmware version 1.4
This helps a lot!
Thank you wilx, for taking the time to post here!
Cheers!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:36 AM   #18

I was going to order 2 batteries from the above link of amazon.co.uk but couldn't, because they apparently do not sell to Norway!!??!!

I checked their Delivery Destinations and they list all the countries of Europe - EXCEPT Norway!!

Countries they sell to:

United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales), Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland (Republic of), Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Really! What have we ever done to the U.K. for not being allowed to buy from them.......................?

Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:43 AM   #19

Walter, is your camera at F/W 1.4? If not, then any 3rd party will work. Even if it's at 1.3, which is the F/W level that introduced the battery check. The reason is because there is a version of 1.4 that did not include the check and it was released by mistake. I have a copy of the bin file if you wish. The thing is, it can only be installed if the camera is at 1.3 or below. If it's already at 1.4, then you're stuck. So, check the camera first. That's my suggestion.

Tullio
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:01 PM   #20

Well, Tullio - They wouldn't sell to me anyway, so no sweat. I'll just have to forget about 3rd party-batteries anyway. The onse they sell here in Norway are Panasonic only.

Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on it. My camera is still on F/W 1.0.