Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:48 PM   #11

Default Last one for today!

I think that should do it for now. Some test-shots with that amazing G1!

Se ya!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:58 PM   #12

Again, Walter-
another beautiful shot. Your wonderful work make me realize how far I have to progress! Well done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:17 PM   #13

Walter: do you find a relevant improvement over your FZ28?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...Your wonderful work make me realize how far I have to progress!
Thanks a lot, Sarah Joyce, but it's much easier to take pictures of rocks and trees in the sunshine, then entertainers on a stage, always dancing and moving about, very often in low ambient-light at the end of a dark room...

When photographing rocks, you can take all day to make up your mind about framing, composition, perspective and light, and even recapture the scene the next day when it doesn't work the first time.

I couldn't do the stage-photography in available light without messing it up, while you are a master at it! We are all different.

The rocks dont move, they never run out of patience and they are there in the same position the next day as well, while stage-people never stand still, always move both hands and legs, and then they want you to make them look great (and younger then they really are...) on their copy of the picture ("Why? I don't look that old!")

Rocks never ask for anything in return, neither...

Have a great day, and give my regards to Bradley!

P.S.: I do hope that you come to terms with your G1 as well!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:59 PM   #15

Great night shots, Walter. Which firmaware level is your G1 at? Panasonic has fixed a lot of the WB issues in F/W 1.1, 1.2 and I believe 1.4. The fact that they've been including WB fixes just about in every F/W level, tells me that they are having some problems as well. When I was testing some manual lenses I bought, I noticed a strange behavior. Images taken at wide apertures (up to f4.0) were a lot warmer than the ones taken at smaller apertures (above f4.0). This phenomenon occurred with WB set to AUTO. Once I changed to daylight or shade, then the color was consistent across all apertures. After I upgraded the F/W to 1.2, the problem went away. So, if you want consistency, my suggestion is to either use pre-set WB settings or upgrade the F/W if it's still at 1.0.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:41 AM   #16

That figures, Tullio. Thanks for the tip!

I have note come round to upgrade the firmware yet. It is still on 1.0

So, maybe setting the WB will get a little better in the future, after upgrading the firmware. How complicated was that, Tullio? The upgrading-process itself? Does it need a IT-pro to do that?

Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:48 AM   #17

Default Night-shooting exercise with new camera:

I figured that most viewers in this forum do not frequent the "Post Your Picture"-forums all that much, so I will mirror one post I have in the "Landscape"-forum (which is my favorite) also in this here thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I had some exercise during the night of December 2nd to go out and try my new camera for night-shots and low-light shooting.

It was bitter cold, temperature was down to minus 7 Centigrade and the frost was sparkling in the reflections of the street-lights and there was this icy-cold draft from the nearby river. Needless to say, I was not given the time to check out my motives well enough for composition.

All pictures taken with my Panasonic Lumix G1 and the 14-45mmm kit-lens. All in chronological order. One can see the sun coming up closer to the horizon as we progress. In picture #2 there were these 4 or 5 swans on the water. When I left after it was light, they struggled to get ashore, because the water around them froze up during the night. I really felt sorry for them.

Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:42 PM   #18

Great shots, Walter. Really hard to pick between #1 and 2.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:25 PM   #19

Those photos are inspirational Walter-

Congratulations.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:55 PM   #20

Thank you, both - Tullio and Sarah Joyce, for your kind comments!