Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
That figures, Tullio. Thanks for the tip!

I have note come round to upgrade the firmware yet. It is still on 1.0

So, maybe setting the WB will get a little better in the future, after upgrading the firmware. How complicated was that, Tullio? The upgrading-process itself? Does it need a IT-pro to do that?

It's a piece of cake. First, check out the link below. It describes the changes included in each F/W level. From the Panasonic website, you can only download the latest level (1.4), which includes all fixes from previous levels. By doing this, your G1 will no longer accept 3rd party batteries (the check was introduced at level 1.3). I upgraded mine to 1.2 only. The reason is because 1.3 is for the ZD 14-42mm lens (which I don't have) and the battery check and 1.4 is for the 45mm (which I also don't have) and apparently it improves low light AF. But, since I find AF in low light to be very fast, I decided not to mess with this level. I do have a copy of it that was released w/o the battery check in case I choose to upgrade to this level.

[IMG]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/g1.html

Now, to upgrade the firmware, clean up your memory card (no need to reformat. Just delete the pictures that are in it keeping the folders as they are). Put the card on a device that allows you to write to it (card reader, PC slot, etc.).

If you wish to upgrade to f/w 1.2, go to the link below and click on Regular Download. On the next page, scroll down and then click on the DOWNLOAD button (it should read G1__120.bin). Save this file either on your computer or you can point directly to the device where the SD card is in. If you save it on your computer, you then need to copy it to the SD card. When you copy the .bin file to the card, make sure it is place at the ROOT level (with the other directories that are already there) and not inside one of the directories.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bp0zqu

Once the .bin file is on the SD card, put the card in the camera (make sure the battery is 100% charged or the camera will not perform the upgrade). Put the camera in PLAY mode and turn it on. It does not matter which lens you have mounted since the upgrade is for the body only. When the camera turns on, it automatically detects the .bin file and asks if you wish to upgrade. Select yes and don't touch anything until the upgrade is complete. Turn the camera off when it's done. Remove the card and delete the .bin file from it. Insert the card back on, turn the camera on and you should be good to go.

If you wish to install the 1.4 w/o the battery check, go to the link below and follow the same exact process.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdty0f

However, if you wish to install the 1.4 from the Panasonic site (the download is at the bottom of the page on that first link above), The procedure is slightly different. If you notice, the file is a .exe (not .bin). That means, you must download it to your PC first, then double-click on it to execute and extract the .bin file from it. Save the .bin file and then follow the procedure above.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are having problems.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:06 PM   #22

Default Wow! What good report:

Much obliged, Tullio, for your lengthy and very detailed comments. I appreciate your taking all this time to help me - hopefully you help others in the same situation as well.

I'll have to find out what to do, befor I upgrade my F/W.

Not being able to buy 3rd party batteries anyway, it seens there is no other way than to upgrade to the fully 1.4 and buy Panasonic original batteries.

Thanks for now, Tullio. I come back to you as soon as I have made up my mind of which upgrade-level I want to do.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:29 PM   #23

You're welcome, Walter. My take on F/W upgrade is a bit different than the majority of users. I don't upgrade it just for the heck of it. Some people always want to have their cameras be at the latest F/W version, which I don't find it necessary. Version 1.3 is a good example. Unless one has the Olympus lenses covered by the firmware, installing it will only add a problem (the battery limitation). I do believe 1.1 and 1.2 fixed lots of stuff and I recommend you bring your G1 up to 1.2. If nothing else, you will notice an improvement in how the camera behaves with AUTO WB.

Tullio
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:40 PM   #24

The Calm after the Storm: A mood in 3 pictures...

About 2 weeks ago - just a few days after I got my new camera [Panasonic Lumix G1] - we had this storm along the coast of Southern Norway. It raged for 2 days and nights. Finally when its spell was broken there was this strange, dead calm following. Almost hostile in its character, eery-like and omnious looking, with dark and voluptuose, low-flying clouds racing by.

Finally the sun broke through in some holes in the clouds, creating another strange scene, lighting up the seascape with its blinding sunrays low on the horizon.

That's when I grabbed my camera, put on the Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 17mm / 1:1.8 Pancake-lens and run out, shielding the camara under my coat, as rain-showers would pour down one minute and the sun broke through the other minute.

Rather hastily I shot a long series of pictures, trying to compose as well as I could. I still regret not having brought along my tripod, as the scene I met was typical for and as tailore-made for juicy HDR's!!! But I had to shoot handhold because of the weather, and here are some of the results.

# 1: After the storm. A lot of debris washed ashore and made the otherwise so tidy beach look like a battle-zone.

# 2: I loved the way the sun made the wet rocks shine!

# 3: This is a HDR (DPHDR) made out of 3 (handheld!) exposures.

And the middle-exposure of # 3 is shown below.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:16 AM   #25

Default This post has been posted in the 'Landcape'-Forum:

Following my other thread with almost the same title: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos/163071-night-shooting-exercise-new-camera.html I would like to close this exercise of taking night-shots with my Panasonic Lumix G1 with this here panorama-stitch.

Needless to say, I'm quite proud of my new 'baby', and once I get the White-balance problem solved (need an update of FirmWare) I'll be set for the foreseeable future (1 year...?).

This camera is tailored for taking HDR's as its Auto Bracket-settings are the best I have ever seen on any camera (short of the Pentax K7 / Nikon D300 and upwards) as I can choose to take either 3pics, 5pics or 7pics with either 1/3rds or 2/3rds of an EV in between, giving me a total span of from -2 up via 0 to +2 EV's with 2/3rds increments, at its biggest settings.

Anyway, here are the 3 single HDR-pictures that I used to stich this 3-picture panorama.

# 1 - Left picture:

# 2 - Middle picture:

# 3 - Right picture:

#4 - The Panorama of "Fredrikstad by night" - here at 1280pixels x 510pixels. The original, unscaled version is 6729 x 2615 pixels.

For those with lesser resolution to their monitors, here is one with...

...1024x 408 pixels.

I hope that you will enjoy looking at the pictures, as much as I enjoyed taking them.

See ya!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:20 AM   #26

Here is another shot with my G1:

In the woods, yesterday:

Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:10 AM   #27

I absolutely love this shot in the woods, Walter. Very well done! Did you do HDR processing?

Tullio
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:39 PM   #28

That's right, Tullio. HDR and a slight Orton-effect applied to as well.

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:00 PM   #29

Default Mirror-posting from forum: Landscapes // Panoramic Sunrise:

I have been working on the pictures from this sunrise for some time now and had planned to post them here. The problem was to sort out what was worth showing from several hundreds of takes, without repeating oneself too much.

Date: 12th December. The night-sky was almost totally covered with clouds, but luckily there was this narrow strip of clear sky at the horizon, just where it was supposed to be - to the east! The clouds where in motion all the time, changing the light and scenerey from minute to minute, hence the many different moods reulting from this. This goes to show that you never know what you get until its over...

# 1 - Single shot. No HDR!
This is the earliest picture when it was still pitch-dark. Exposure time is 8 seconds...

# 2 - panorama of 3 single shots - No HDR
A few minutes later with a panoramic view.

# 3 - Panorama-stitch HDR
Halve an hour later and colors are developing and the glow of the morninglight is starting to spread. The sky's reflection brings out some details of the rocks we stand on.

# 4 - Panorama-stitch HDR
More light and colors appearing...

# 5 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The sun has reached the horizon and....

# 6 - Panorama-stitch HDR
...is playing with the clouds and the sky. Colors are getting deeper. A few oragne and warm rays are ricochetting off the rocks.

# 7 - Panorama-stitch HDR
The first sun-rays are kissing the rocks we stand on...

# 8 - Panorama-stitch HDR

And 10 minutes later, a spectacular crescendo of orange-red, resulting in the now full sun sending its rays towards us - though filtered through some clouds - hitting us and it looks as if it tries setting the rocks on fire!

I greet this, another new day, welcome, and never get tired to watch the sun and its daylight eat up the leftovers of the dark and mystery of the night.

All photos taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 micro four/thirds camera and kitlens 14-45mm.
Have a nice weekend and Holydays, everyone.

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:37 AM   #30

Default Don't know why am I doing this?

Good manners and most of all, the threat of being censored for using foul language, prevent me from expressing what I really feel when posting in this dreary and godforsaken forum of Panasonic-users - and no one seems to care!

Where is everybody? Are there no Panasonic G1 / GH1 / GF1 -users around or have they not sold any of these cameras in this country, in the whole wide world?

If you own one of these fine cameras, arn't you proud of what this camera can do for you? Does it not give some satisfaction to show others what you can do with your fine camera?

Such a fine pice of photographic equipment and no pride?

How can you expect a lively forum and interesting, good discussions or news / tips around these fine camera's if you don't post any pictures yourself? Where is your enthusiasm gone?

To the last person to leave this forum: Please, do not forget to switch off the lights, when you close the door...

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM.