Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:56 AM   #31

Have you tried the getdpi forum (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php)? It's a similar forum to this one but very very active. In fact, it's too active. One can not keep up with the postings and comments. However, I joined the forum a couple of months ago and got a slap on the hand less than two weeks later for editing a guy's photo. He posted this picture, which created some controversy as to whether it should have been cropped some (top or bottom). So, I went ahead and cropped the image on the top and then at the bottom and posted the cropped versions. My oh my, that generated some nasty private messages between the two of us and the moderator was asked to remove my entries. So, there you go. Sometimes, I prefer the quietness of this forum. People here are very nice and like you, I wish they would participate more. I've posted some pictures taken with my G1 and MF lenses and got absolutely no response. Oh well, that's life at Steve's.

The m4/3 is a wonderful system. It has it's flaws but in my photographic experience, I haven't come across the "perfect" camera yet. No matter how expensive they are, they all have their negatives. The versatility of the m4/3 system added to the IQ they produce make this format a winner despite its flaws. And my guess is that it will only get better. I believe there will be other players in the mirrorless arena within the next 12-18 months.

Now, those are some gorgeous images, Walter, particularly the ones with the sun peaking through. A very lovely and peaceful place.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Have you tried the getdpi forum (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php)? It's a similar forum to this one but very very active.

...So, there you go. Sometimes, I prefer the quietness of this forum. People here are very nice and like you, I wish they would participate more. .....
Thanks for answering me, Tullio!

You have in fact been the only one to acknowledge my existance and of new posts, both in my FZ-28threads and now in the G1-threads. I thank you for this. It seems there are only the two of us, and sometimes Donald Duc frequenting this forum.

BTW there seem to be a very high standard of photos in this GetDPI-forum, wicj\h I liked very much! I have only browsed through some of the m4/3 threads and I'm impressed!!

Well, thanks again Tullio and see you in other 'post-your-photos'-forums in the future!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:01 PM   #33

My pleasure, Walter. Yes, the standard at the other forum is indeed very high (I was intimidated at first) and some participants are real jerks. However, as you could probably tell, participation is also very high and in the end, that's what we want, isn't it? I don't believe there are lots of Panasonic users here at Steve, particularly micro 4/3 users. Since this is a new technology that offers so many possibilities, you'd imagine people would be posting new stuff, sharing experiments and asking questions all the time but that's not the case. So, for m4/3 I guess the best options are ether getdpi or dpreview.

Tullio
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:43 AM   #34

Hey you guys, dont give up hope. Im interested in your shots Walter. And your camera as well. Since the first mention of G1 Ive wanted one. But it takes so damn long to save up for one. By the time I do get one I will be too old to remember why I wanted it. How about a couple of night shots. Im interested in noise level.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:30 PM   #35

Save up??? Nah...I use the 4 letter word...VISA!

Tullio
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...How about a couple of night shots. Im interested in noise level.

What are you looking for, Bynx? I have posted some G1 night-shots in my 3 series-threads:

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...ew-camera.html

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...-exercise.html

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...c-sunrise.html

and some single shots in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...dsbryggen.html and also in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ot...ats-canal.html

But beware, that all my night-shots are always shot at ISO 100 - so looking for noise-levesl will be hard. High ISO is the soft underbelly of Panasonic. They have never been very good at it. My FZ-28 for instance is terrible once you get above 400. With my G1 I have testet up to ISO 800 and gotten halve decent shots out of it. But if you are in for high-ISO shooting, forget Panasonic and buy yourself a Nikon D90 instead...

If there is anything else, like 100% crops, etc. etc. I'll be glad to be of help, Bynx.

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Zpelling errors!!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:03 PM   #37

It took a few years and various camera brands/models for me to come to realize that the "perfect" camera does not exist. It does not matter how much they cost, they all have flaws. I've also come to realize that since I'm not a pro and photography is nothing but a hobby for me, I can compromise in some areas where the pros may not want to. High ISO performance is one of them. I can count in one hand how many times I have been in situations where I had to shoot with ISO 1600 or above and to be honest, I'm not sure I want to make large prints of images shot at ISO 1600, irregardless which camera took them. The G1 is a great performer at ISO 800 and below. Images are fairly clean and with a little bit of PP, they'll look very good. I haven't had as much fun with a camera since my old film days. I'm shooting primarily with MF lenses and I'm getting some pretty good stuff out of the camera. The G1 exposes very very well with hardly any highlight clipping at all (now, that's my weakness...I sold my Nikon D40 and Olympus E510 because of their limited DR).

Anyway, I can go on and on bragging about the G1. It's a neat camera to say the least!

Tullio
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
If you wish to install the 1.4 w/o the battery check, go to the link below and follow the same exact process.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdty0f
Hi, Tulio

I don't have a G1 but I was curious as to where you got the version of the upgrade without the battery check, and how do you know someone else's (non-Panasonic) version won't lead to a problem with the G1's operation?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:56 AM   #39

Hi Ted, this is a Panasonic firmware release. When Panasonic first released 1.4, they messed up and did not include the battery check in the code. Some people who downloaded that version as soon as it was announced, noticed that despite Panasonic's claim that 3rd party batteries would not longer work, it did work. Obviously Pana quickly realized the mistake and temporarily pulled the F/W from their website, fixed the code to re-introduce the battery check and made it available once again. Firmware code is not easy to hack. If it was, there would be thousands of versions out there on the net, fixing things that users complain the most. I'm a programmer. I compared the two versions (1.4 w/o batt check and with) in hex mode and found only a couple of differences between the two. If you compare the sizes of the file, they are identical because the changes were minimal. It's very safe to install it. Now, if you don't use 3rd party replacement batteries, then it won't matter which version you install. Just beware that once you install the current "official" version, you can no longer regress it. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Tullio
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:36 PM   #40

Thanks, Tulio. I don't have the G1 but I'm having a disagreement with some folks on the Oly DSLR forum. I say the Panasonic FW upgrade process (download to the card, then load & process it in the camera) is better than Oly's where you basically have to connect your camera to the internet and you can only get the current FW available from Oly. This G1-battery example is making my point.

grin

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote