Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:49 PM   #1

Default Is the GF1 dead?

With the release of the new Olympus m4/3, the E-PL1, I wonder how much damage it will do to Panasonic's GF1 sales. After all, the E-PL1 incorporates a built in flash and video all for less than $600 with a kit lens. Unless Pana releases the GF2 with a built in EVF, they will have a very hard time competing with Olympus. What do you guys think?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Panasonic's still have quite a lead in AF performance, which drove alot of people to buy that model. But still, this will hurt the GF1's sales I am sure.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:52 PM   #3

Why?
Price GF1 ~ € 600 (with 14-45)
Price E-PL1 ~ € 600 (with 14-42)

GF1 is available for € 600, E-PL1 is NOT available for € 600 :-|
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:56 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Why?
Price GF1 ~ 600 (with 14-45)
Price E-PL1 ~ 600 (with 14-42)

GF1 is available for 600, E-PL1 is NOT available for 600 :-|

here in the states its

EPL1 with kit lens- 599USD
GF1 with kit lens - 856USD
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
The Panasonic's still have quite a lead in AF performance, ...
Humm, I wouldn't say "quite". I think people complain about the EP1/EP2 more than they should. The problem is not the camera AF speed but the lens. I first bought the G1 (which BTW, I love it!) and then the EP1 body since I had the two Lumix kit lenses. I found the EP1 AF performance with the Lumix lenses to be very good. I compared against my co-worker's GF1 AF speed and found both to be almost (if not exactly) identical. I recently bought the Oly 17mm (I don't care how good the Lumix 20mm really is, I think it's not two times better than the 17mm thus is way over priced. One can buy the LX3 for less than the cost of the 20mm). I find the EP1 AF speed with the 17mm a bit worse than with the Lumix lenses. So, my conclusion is that the Oly lenses are affecting the AF speed of the EPn cameras. Now, from what I've read, the E-PL1 comes with new kit lenses. If Oly re-designed the lens, then perhaps AF speed will be at par with the GF1. One can always buy the E-PL1 body and invest on the Lumix kit lenses instead.

Tullio
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Humm, I wouldn't say "quite". I think people complain about the EP1/EP2 more than they should. The problem is not the camera AF speed but the lens. I first bought the G1 (which BTW, I love it!) and then the EP1 body since I had the two Lumix kit lenses. I found the EP1 AF performance with the Lumix lenses to be very good. I compared against my co-worker's GF1 AF speed and found both to be almost (if not exactly) identical. I recently bought the Oly 17mm (I don't care how good the Lumix 20mm really is, I think it's not two times better than the 17mm thus is way over priced. One can buy the LX3 for less than the cost of the 20mm). I find the EP1 AF speed with the 17mm a bit worse than with the Lumix lenses. So, my conclusion is that the Oly lenses are affecting the AF speed of the EPn cameras. Now, from what I've read, the E-PL1 comes with new kit lenses. If Oly re-designed the lens, then perhaps AF speed will be at par with the GF1. One can always buy the E-PL1 body and invest on the Lumix kit lenses instead.
that is true, i have heard that as well, the panasonics do seem to focus faster.

that would be good news if oly did redesign the kit lens for better AF.

though to be completely honest, for the type of photography i would do with a m4/3, i could care less how fast it AF's. i have a 50d for a reason.

the e-pl1 right now offers the most value as a smaller travel/carry camera for me, and the one i would purchase right now.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:58 PM   #7

I think allot of people think there the evil's are an end all solution or think that one camera need to meet every need. But I have yet to find on camera that fits every need. That is why I am very seriously considering the epl-1. The cost savings over the EP-2 which until yesterday was on the top of my list. And I know what I am planning to use the epl-1 for. And again the AF system is not a major concern for landscape cityscapes, and seascapes.

The GF1 has it uses as well as the ep-1/2.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:06 PM   #8

The GF1's main draw back is the lack of IS. Add to that the lack of an EVF and what you have is a very unfriendly camera to shoot with MF lenses. The G1/GH1 do not have IS either but the EVF is good, which makes shooting with MF lenses a breeze. I bought the EP1 because of its IS, which works real well but the lack of an EVF is a killer.

Tullio
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:08 PM   #9

They have IS, it is in the lens. Like canon and nikon dslr lenses. That is why the panny lenses are so much more then the oly lenses.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:14 PM   #10

Yes, I know. However, not all Lumix lenses have OIS and none of the Oly m4/3 and 4/3 lenses have it either. So, the limitation is much greater. Even the Lumix 20mm does not have OIS.

Tullio